Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firmware problem.

Default Firmware problem.
    I was using my iPhone to talk and then was surfing the net and all of a sudden I lost my connetion. Then my phone popped up a message saying "this iPhone has lost the ability to recieve and make calls" or something like that. I turned it off and on a bunch of times and took out the sim card and a few times (blew into the slot too). Nothing worked. I hooked it back up to my iTunes and it says "firmware incompatible with phone". I have a 3gS and was using 3.1.2 firmware which is what I'm trying to restore to. I re-downloaded a couple of times and get the same error. I'm download the 7D11 one which is for my phone.
    I d/l this one... iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

Any help is greatly appreciated.

btw I updated to latest itunes as well to see if that would help and it didn't.
    Last edited by NiteStar; 2010-05-12 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

You wont be able to restore to 3.1.2 unless you have shsh files save for that firmware. Apple is only signing 3.1.3.

I have them on file with Cydia. Can I ask how I go about getting them and making it work jkmonkey?

I found a walk through utorial with something called TinyTSS. I'm going to connect my phone, run umbrella and tell it to look to cydia for my ecid. Then I'll open iTunes and put the phone in dfu mode and restore and it should work now. Here's to hoping.
    Last edited by NiteStar; 2010-05-12 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

you'll have to direct your computer to Saurik's server when it thinks it's talking to Apple. This should tell you everything you need to know: http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...an-saurik.html

jkmonkey, I put my phone in dfu mode after editing my hosts file and rebooting. When I click shift-restore, I still get the error "The iPhone 'Iphone" could not be restored because the firmare file is not compatible".

I'm thiking of seeing if it will restore to 3.1.3 and then try and go back to 3.1.2. Your thoughts?

I downloaded 3.1 firmware and it will actually let me restore to that. I know for a fact I had 3.1.2 on file at cydia. Oh well, guess i'll use 3.1 for the next couple months.

EDIT: I'm getting "error-23" which i've read is a hardware problem.
    Last edited by NiteStar; 2010-05-12 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

if you only have 3.1.2 on file then it's a 3.1.2 firmware you need to use. where did you download it from. did you reopen the hosts file after you edited and saved to make sure it did save?

re-downloading the 3.1.2 file with the hosts file edited, worked and I was able to get past the "incompatable" file, but the error 23 remains. I googled a patch that allowed me to bypass the error, which i'm told is a hardware problem with the radio, and erase the jailbreak. I'm going into an apple store in about 2 hours. I have 2 months left on warranty so I should be ok.

Thanks for your help jkmonkey.

Thanks

No problem. Glad you got it to restore. If it is a hardware problem with the radio that would explain the original problem you had with losing connection to the cell network.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

NiteStar (2010-05-13)