Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backing up SHSH questions

Default Backing up SHSH questions
    Hello everyone, I have a 3gs 16 gig, 3.1.2 s/w, the new bootrom (week 52) and baseband 5/11/07. I asked here a while ago if I could jailbreak, and the guys/gals told me not yet because I have the new bootrom. Well now with spirit out, obviously I can jb. I have been reading and reading for over a week now about jailbreaking to educate myself. A lot of the info I gained is from modmyi threads, and I say thank you!!
    I'm almost ready to give it a try with spirit, but I am not positive about backing up the ECID/SHSH.
    I followed the guide here and used autoshsh to save, and it seemed to work. I saved it and backed it up on my hard drives. My problem is with umbrella. When I run it, it says iphone 3gs on 3.1.2, which is correct. But when I expand it (advanced)the ECID number is wrong (I used USBview to get my ECID), and the device/version box is set on iphone 3gs- 3.1.3.
    So here is what I have done. I saved it with the default ECID that was there, and it saved without error, and the .shsh file is 63.6 KB, and according to the guide I followed, that is correct.
    Next I put the ECID that I got from USBview in, and changed the device/version to 3.1.2. When I tried to save, it said "could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version: Sorry"

Do I need to just update to 3.1.3? Is this error due to the fact that I have 3.1.2 and the new bootrom? I am pumped up to go for the jailbreak, but I want to make sure I have everything backed up. Oh yes, I have backed it up in itunes.

Could I please get some input from the awesome members here, thank you very very much for your time!

Thanks

Your getting that message because even though you currently have 3.1.2 installed, Apple is no longer signing that firmware. If you used autoshsh then what got saved would be shsh files for 3.1.3, because that's the version that is currently being signed by Apple. There's really no need for you to upgrade to 3.1.3 right now. You'll be fine jailbreaking with the 3.1.2 that you currently have insatlled. It's just that in the future the lowest firmware you'll be able to downgrade to will be 3.1.3.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

wa2ruff (2010-05-12)

Understood, and makes sense to me. Thank you very much for the quick and detailed response jmonkey my friend

Thanks

No problem. Happy jailbreaking. Let me know how it goes. Just download and run from spiritjb.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

wa2ruff (2010-05-13)

Well jkmonkey, everything went smooth! I backed up my shsh blobs with both umbrella and autoshsh, then made back-ups of the back-ups, and stored them on multiple HDD's. I'm jailbroken! Now I have to learn all about cydia etc. If you could answer one more thing for me please. When I open cydia, I am getting an "essential upgrade" pop-up, and it says

"One or more essential packages are currently out of date. If these upgrades are not performed you are likely to encounter errors"

Then I have the choice to "Upgrade Essential", "Complete Upgrade", or "Ignore (Temporary)".

Now in my hours of reading I saw that there was an update that messed a lot of phones up, supposedly having to do with Rock, but I don't have Rock installed. Are you familiar with this upgrade message? If so, should I upgrade essential or complete upgrade?

Thank you very much for your help!!!!! I'm learning, and now that I'm jailbroken, I can learn more and help others like you do!

its a cydia essential upgrade, you can click ignore then go to changes and check the actual upgrade

i did it and there is no issues, was reading about that rock upgrade too and was a bit suspect when i saw it too

9. The Following User Says Thank You to helvete For This Useful Post:

wa2ruff (2010-05-14)

Thanks

That update that caused all the issues has been removed. All the updates cydia is showing you should be safe. Glad everything went well for you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

wa2ruff (2010-05-14)

Sweet, thank you guys for replying and helping me out, I really appreciate it!!!!