Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie with broken 2g iPhone

Default Newbie with broken 2g iPhone
    Hello all my first post, so please be gentle...

I lost my regular phone a month ago and a kind person here at work gave me his iPhone 2G as he bought a 3GS. But he said he tried to unlock it and he screwed it up. SO he said i can have the phone if i want but it needs to be fixed...

So after several days of searing the new i have tried quite a few things and i still cannot get it to work. I am newbie to iPhones. Never used one before...

So from what i have read this phone which has a date of 30(week it was made?) is stuck in recovery mode.. no matter what i do to it, redsnow, ibrickr, ireovery nothing works, i tried all the possible home and power button combos... i am at my witts end.... what should i do?

Here is what happens..

i if simply restore using itunes default restore, the restore seems to go fine but i still get stuck in recovery mode(icon of itunes and only emergency calls can be done)

I tired to restore with iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw using itunes, it did not work...

I tried to use irecovery, it does not see the iphone
    i tried ibrickr, it does not see the iphone...

can any tell me what i can do next beside throwing it out the window?

I am located in Montreal, Canada is there a place i can bring it to to get fixed or reset or whatever?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

have a great day!

Rob..
    Montreal, Canada

So as a followup i followed the steps in this link as posted in another post in this forum and got no where...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

Everything went ok, its just i am stuck in recovery mode still...

Anything else? Is it possible its actually just broken?

Thanks to all..
    Have a great day!

Rob
    Montreal, Canada

wopps that link did not pastes correctly

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/237...0-1-1-4-a.html

but now i have gotten a little farther i can actual receive calls and text message but not do anything else??
    Last edited by robmorin; 2010-05-11 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Do you know what firmware it is on?

2.x and 3.0 jailbreak with Redsn0w or PwnageTool
    3.1 and 3.1.2 jailbreak with Blackra1n
    3.1.3 jailbreak with Spirit or Redsn0w (newest version)

Try putting the phone in DFU mode (not the same as recovery mode) by holding down the home and power button (when the phone is on) and when the screen goes black, release the power button and continue to hold the home button for about 10 seconds. Your phone should be plugged into your computer with iTunes opened. Your computer will make a sound when the phone is successfully put into DFU mode. iTunes should pick up that the phone is in DFU mode and request for restore. Do so at this point.

To check the firmware version on your phone, go to iH8Sn0w.com and use f0recast. If you are on 3.1 or 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, download the appropriate ipsw to jailbreak the phone. This only applies to redsn0w usage. If you are on 3.1.2, you will only need Blackra1n to jailbreak. Download BootNeuter for unlock from Cydia.

You should upgrade your phone to at least a 3.0 firmware for best performance. You can do so by shift+restore and using a firmware you downloaded to restore to it. I think your phone might not work well considering the firmware you have it on.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-11 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So i go tit working now, well so far... i went back in and used Ilberty again.... this time i also click downgrade and voila it worked....

Now i have another issue , but nothing that can fix it unless i repair it... there is part of the screen that does not work... in the keypad to call numbers 1 2 3 do not work

How much does it cost to repair this? anyone know...

Thanks..
    Rob
    Montreal, Canada

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Buy a new digitzer on eBay. Not too expensive there.

is it easy to install this?

Thanks

Rob
    Montreal, Canada

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

There are video guides that show you how to open up the phone and install. Search YouTube. If you think you can follow the video and do ok then go ahead with it. If you don't think you can do it, find a professional to do it for you. You don't want to break your phone.

Ya, i may as well get it done, its my first iphone... there is a guy here in Montreal, i saw on Kijiji does it for $75
    Is that about the going rate?

Thanks..
    Rob
    Montreal, Canada

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's kind of expensive if you're gonna buy your own part... IMO.

No, that is installed....

Rob
    Montreal, Canada