Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [SOLUTION] iPhone shut off during boot / Stuck Apple Logo

Hi,

first of all thanks to all who are involved in finding a solution.

My iPhone is a 3G (June 2008) with a pwned 3.1.2. No Unlock.

I've tried to apply the fix on 3 different Macs with OSX 10.6.3 without any success. The last try was a virgin MacBook Pro with only the original Apple software installed.

Starting with the "fsck failed" message it now seems to go a little further, as there are now a endless number of lines with hex-numbers "flying" over the screen. This ends up with a white screen followed by a reboot (Apple Logo). I can't say, if there is still a fsck failed at the end as it is to fast to recognize.

Keep on going!!

...BTW, did anyone with FW 3.1.2 tried to solve this problem using FW 3.1.3?
    Last edited by schappy62; 2010-05-17 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

wtf?
    i was pretty chocked today when i decided it was time to deal with the problem and turn my phone off.
    i did the updates from rock and got all the errormessages and that stuff but my phone works anyway, i can restart it and everything works without using the ssh fix or trying this method..
    guess i have healingforces in my hands..

iphone - jonas 0-1 me wins..

Hi Jonas,

no, you don't have healing hands...but Rock has... They realized the problem and made some changes...

Be happy...and think of all the others ;-)

any update or version 2? windows fix didnt work on my iphone. ibeej please help us

Beej was working on it last night but was too tired to focus so he went to sleep at a semi reasonable hour. He is at work now but will continue to work on this as he finds time at the office and again when he comes home from work. He knows how important this is to all of you. Thanks again for the donations and your patience.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlieQ25 For This Useful Post:

bassix (2010-05-17), czxxx (2010-05-17)

@Agent Smith.... Could you please use iRecovery to find out if you have a "Panic Fail Count" equal to your "Boot Fail Count" in the iRecovery results? Your phone must be in recovery mode, not DFU, for iRecovery to recognize the your iPhone. I believe it would be less hassle to run iRecovery (using Terminal) from a Mac than from a PC from what I've read.

I find it interesting that you and I have the same exact crash results even after running the fixes and not having Rock apps installed, but my iRecovery results state that I have Panic Fails that most other iPhone/iRecovery results do not have, ...and I'm curious to see if your phone has Panic Fails also. This may be a clue as to why our phones act differently than the "boot loop"-affected phones....as ours just shuts down after a few minutes of the Apple logo screen.

------------------

Question everyone.... I'd like to know how many of you are having the shutdown issue AFTER about 4-5 minutes of the Apple logo on the screen upon power up? I know there are many that have a similar issue, but it seems to only take approx. 10 seconds for the phone to either shutdown, or reboot into an endless boot loop.

Does anyone else have iRecovery results that state the "Panic Fail Count" is the same as the "Boot Fail Count" after running iRecovery? The Boot Fail Count and Panic Fail Count are near the very end of the iRecovery results. Please see my results below...

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
    [NAND] Device ID xxxxxxxxxx
    [NAND] BANKS_TOTAL 4
    [NAND] BLOCKS_PER_BANK 8192
    [NAND] PAGES_PER_BANK 1048576
    [NAND] SECTORS_PER_PAGE 8
    [NAND] BYTES_PER_SPARE 128
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
    read old style signature 0x43303035 (line:371)
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Open [OK]
    Boot Failure Count: 15 Panic Fail Count: 15
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt

Thanks !
    Last edited by bassix; 2010-05-17 at 05:53 PM. Reason: correction/additional question

UPDATE - MONDAY BLUES?
    Lots of stuff going on. I'm at work and waiting to hear news on the status of our company. Pins and needles, trying to do everything I can, and will work on some of your problems during downtime. So hang in there, today has been a very dreaded day for me all weekend.

The GOOD news is, I have the killsub package to test and upload. I also have been putting together a "shotgun" package for windows users, which includes as many critical system binaries I can think of that don't change often and are critical to boot. But I also don't want to modify anything related to redsn0w's jailbreak dependencies, because I don't want the jailbreak process to fail either. This means expanding the EXE, as I don't have enough padding to fit the custom payload. Wouldn't surprise me if it works so well, that suddenly the Windows version starts becoming more successful than the mac, lol. If that happens though, it's really easy to update the macs, so keep your fingers crossed. I know it's been a couple days since I posted any binaries, so i'm pushing to get something out there, but I absolutely want to be sure i'm seeing positive results from some testers first.

I have also put together my own usb iphone recovery program, and it's working. I am still working on coding in some exploit/payload features, but this software hasn't been the priority so it hasn't had as much attention. But I have made sure it's there as an alternative or fallback.

See, i'm using my head.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:34 PM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iBeej For This Useful Post:

bassix (2010-05-17), czxxx (2010-05-17), igorekz (2010-05-17), Kyanos (2010-05-17), nomad4him (2010-05-18), rexxar00 (2010-05-17)

Thank you very much for your help, iBeej!

3GS 3.1.2, unlocked, Blackra1n, Windows XP.
    Fix didn't help unfortunately, iPhone still turns off in about 10 secs of booting, last line I noticed was about 'fsck fail'

great work ibeej .

finnaly on thursday i'll get a mac to test the mac-fix, since the win-fix didnt work for me.

Yeah I hate that so many have had success with the mac version over the windows version. (don't get me wrong, I'm glad it has worked for so many!). But what I mean is, the windows version was built to do the EXACT same thing. It works for me, and for a few others, so I'm just not ok with how unpredictable the results have been thus far. So that's where my focus is.

And on top of it, there are still people having failed success with both. They are a top priority above all things. Thank you all for posting logs and screenies. Like my wife has suggested, find a temp phone, anything to keep you productive and functional if you have a lot to lose by restoring your iPhone. Too many successes to quit now, especially since I need to narrow down only a fee additional binaries for the rest of you. I will always post to let you know I'm still here working on it.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:34 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iBeej For This Useful Post:

Bluecatz (2010-05-17), czxxx (2010-05-17), rilloteddy (2010-05-17)

Quote Originally Posted by iBeej View Post
    Yeah I hate that so many have had success with the mac version over the windows version. (don't get me wrong, I'm glad it has worked for so many!). But what I mean is, the windows version was built to do the EXACT same thing. It works for me, and for a few others, so I'm just not ok with how unpredictable the results have been thus far. So that's where my focus is.

And on top of it, there are still people having failed success with both. They are a top priority above all things. Thank you all for posting logs and screenies. Like my wife has suggested, find a temp phone, anything to keep you productive and functional if you have a lot to lose by restoring your iPhone. Too many successes to quit now, especially since I need to narrow down only a fee additional binaries for the rest of you. I will always post to let you know I'm still here working on it.
    I have had no success with either, and have had zero success with using a program to that could show you the data you needed. irecovery doesn't seem to acknowledge my phone on a Mac and I don't know enough to install isbub on my computer...I don't want to pieces of bricked hardware on my hands.

PLEASE TELL ME A WAY TO GET YOU MORE INFO SO YOU CAN FIX MY PHONE!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Beej you did and you do a great job, tyt and also get some sleep!

Default Thank you very much!
    I, like many others, had this problem. I tried several times to fix it via your Windows patch, but without success. I too was getting the fsck failure notification. A friend let me use his Mac to run that patch and my phone is now working again. Your efforts and work are greatly appreciated. I'll be donating today. Now, if this helps with other users who're still having the problem, here are my stats.

1.) iPhone OS firmware version: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    2.) Unlocked or not: Not
    3.) Which jailbreak did you use: Blackra1n
    4.) Do you use windows or mac.: First Win with no luck, then Mac
    5.) Do you at LEAST have access to a mac.: Yes
    6.) The results of the applied FIX.: Good to go!

@KingCon...just sent you a PM. Please check it and get back to me.

@Beej...sent you a PM also with a question re: Panic Fail Count.
    Last edited by bassix; 2010-05-17 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thank you beej!!!

ok so i got thinking about how people said that it didnt work on windows but did on OSX so i spent last night and this morning installing osx on vmware. after wards i downloaded both the fw and beejsn0w for mac and ran it. guess what??? it worked!!!!! so if any of ya are desperate i would suggest installing vmware and get the osx iso. i cheated because i found a torrent link to a pre-vmware made virtual osx. but im back!!!thanks beej!! a donation is on its way!!!

here is the link to the vmware info and osx stuff:

Run Mac OS X on PC, Free and Easy with VMware Player 3

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_kill_666 For This Useful Post:

funkwerk (2010-05-19), Sh1o (2010-05-17)

@mr_kill_666...sent you a PM. Please respond. Thanks.

Update: Ah,...I see you had the fsck problem with your phone.

KILLSUB PACKAGE POSTED TODAY! 05/17/2010 @ 1:30PM MST

Keep in mind, these packages are targeted at users who have a properly repaired /sbin, and /usr/sbin and a much longer boot time with a REBOOT after a few minutes. There are two scenarios that can cause this long boot period followed by a reboot.

1.) NOT related to MobileSubstrate, still more system corruption. Future versions of DDC is meant to fix this problem if DDC hasn't fixed it for you already. You may try this package anyway, as it delivers the same payload as the DDC package WITH the KILLSUB.

2.) Mobile Substrate problems. This is what the KILLSUB package is meant to fix.

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ MY POST ON HOW THIS WORKS, WITH THE LINKS TO THE DOWNLOADS.

Thanks, and keep me posted.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:32 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBeej For This Useful Post:

bassix (2010-05-17), Sh1o (2010-05-17)

thanks alot!

brb w/ results

EDIT:
    fsck still failed. :S

in 2h i will try the mac fix through a VM
    Last edited by Sh1o; 2010-05-17 at 10:11 PM.

So, Beej...I have the problem like a few others here in that the iPhone shuts down after 4-5 mins of the Apple logo. According to what you wrote on the link page, the KILLSUB package doesn't look like it will fix it, ...but should I try it? Will it mess things up further and risk non-recovery? Please let me know as soon as possible for I am willing to go for it, as I want my phone fixed as soon as possible! ; P

Thanks!!!

A shutdown normally doesn't occur when the springboard fails to load due to MobileSubstrate. It almost always reboots. However, it's painfully clear, as we have seen, anything can happen and it won't hurt to try.

This package does the same thing as DDC but disables code injection. So anybody who runs the killsub package will need to manually enable mobile substrate again after the phone is working again. I will post instructions on how to do that. It's also possible to turn on mobile substrate by reinstalling it through Cydia/Rock. Do the same for the RockExtensions.

But I would recommend doing it manually. NOTE I am going to do another test with the killsub package on my own phone to verify the file it's writing to your phone is actually being written. What I mean is, the dev team could have used a flag in their extractor NOT to replace existing files. If this is the case, then the killsub package won't do anything. And that will suck because then I have to disassemble the call to the extractor to force an overwrite and that will take some time. I will keep you posted on my results.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:31 PM.

Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast