Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [SOLUTION] iPhone shut off during boot / Stuck Apple Logo

I havent touched libusb, I've run it on Windows 7 32bit and 64bit on two different computers. Neither one is working. I'm trying to find a friend with a mac near me so I can try to run the mac update.

Son of a!!! And on top of it... I know what BROKE my phone now and put it in that stupid reboot cycle. When I intentionally deleted the fsck binaries, I went and ran my windows b33jsn0w to fix it. At the time, I had libusb-0.1 installed because I was developing my own jailbreak software package. It never recovered from the patching jailbreak process and was left dead all day friday, which I attributed to being a Cydia update which broke my mobilesubstrate (AGAIN). Which was also true, but the boot loop after that is really sounding libusb related. It wasn't until I realized that the phone was hanging on a process for so long during boot, that not even Recovery Mode would initialize until that process timed out, I decided to hold that stupid home button for 2-3 minutes, which worked. And by this time, I had already removed libusb from my system to eliminate libusb as a variable.

I'm glad you guys brought it up again, because some of these steps I took are clicking, and they are easy to forget about.

I could test this actually... I know how to fix it. Hell, I already know my patcher fixes it. So i'm going to add that to my list of "crazy things NOT to do to your phone."

I will keep you guys posted on my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by BMNB1tches View Post
    is libusb safe to use just for this operation, and uninstall afterwards?
    Yes, I do it all the time. So I know it's safe. But I don't recommend having libusb installed for anything other than iRecovery.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:42 PM. Reason: moved an automerge update to a new post

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iBeej For This Useful Post:

czxxx (2010-05-16)

Default That got it!
    BJ,

100% success. Ran all the redsn0w patches/updates in the order you released them to no avail. B33jsn0w repaired it in seconds. Brilliant.

Donation coming your way.

Thanks for your hard work and effort in addressing this problem, seriously–your nerd skills rock!!

Regards,
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nigel99 View Post
    BJ,

100% success. Ran all the redsn0w patches/updates in the order you released them to no avail. B33jsn0w repaired it in seconds. Brilliant.

Donation coming your way.

Thanks for your hard work and effort in addressing this problem, seriously–your nerd skills rock!!

Regards,
    Nigel
    Hi Nigel!! That's wonderful news!! Thank you for your generosity and kind words!!! Those of you who have sent donations will help with bandwidth costs. This will especially help depending on what happens with my job. That has me stressed out. I really don't want to walk through the doors of a shutdown company on Monday.

Thanks again Nigel, YOU ROCK!

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:41 PM.

@Beeji

Is it safe to try b33jsn0w on my iPod Touch 2g? Not sure if you saw my previous posts, but I would appreciate it if you could give me an answer, whether it be "yes", "no", or "I have no idea".

Thanks for all your work so far! I hope to be one of the successful ones soon

UPDATE! KILLSUB PATCH POSTED! 05/17/2010 1:30 PM MST

I wanted to give you an update on the second step of this recovery process, which is a package SPECIFICALLY aimed at users who want the standard DDC patch and also a way to disable MobileSubstrate and RockApp Substrate Dynamic Libraries (DYLIBs) from the same payload and ensure a successful boot by eliminating the potential for a secondary problem with MobileSubstrate!

This package is the package targeted at the more "typical" reboot scenario where your phone DOESN'T shut off but takes forever with the Apple logo displayed and a REBOOT shortly thereafter.

While this same scenario can occur when NOT related to MobileSubstrate, it most commonly is. What this patcher does is take out the legwork from the user and disables substrate for you in the payload. The only way to do this manually is through a very short "SSH window" near the end of the boot process, with typically only 1-2 minutes SSH shell access through a remembered and existing Wi-Fi connection by the phone. I posted the instructions on how to accomplish these tasks, but it's not easy and in some cases you simply do not have enough time OR a way to SSH.

This package inherits the SAME functionality from the DDC package but has the added benefit of disabling MobileSubstrate. It's important to note here, this package should only be used by those with an unsuccessful boot or boot loop symptoms. I would recommend running DDC first and if you see DDC fix the shut off but then the phone fails to boot with a reboot instead, THEN make the decision to attempt a substrate kill.

What this package does is include a very small 2kb file used by Apple AND the jailbreak community to install custom jailbreak applications on your phone. The file is /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist. Since the payload is only meant to WRITE to your device, there is no easy method of "disabling" individual DYLIB's through a write process without permanently damaging them. And we don't want that. Instead we write the above mentioned file which contains very limited basic configuration values for the SpringBoard (HOME UI) to load at the end of the boot process. It's a relatively safe generic/standard file to write with very little custom info to lose where the user is concerned. (Except in a few cases mentioned below). This file contains an XML tag for loading the code injection (MobileSubstrate) library for both Cydia and Rock. The string value in this file points to the code injection (MobileSubstrate) paths in the form of: /Library/MobileSubstrate/MobileSubstrate.dylib:/Library/RockExtensions/RockExtensions.dylib. The patcher writes a new payload with a com.apple.SpringBoard.plist file with this XML data string omitted!

HOW THIS EFFECTS YOUR PHONE
    After the payload is delivered, your springboard is effectively "patched" to operate as if jailbreak programs never existed. (Even though everything, including your settings and data is still there). This allows the springboard to load without dealing with code injection temporarily (like a SAFE mode), which all jailbreak apps depend on in 90% of the cases. If you had a lot of jailbreak apps, you would probably have a fairly large list of DYLIBs in the path once pointed to by com.apple.SpringBoard.plist. You can see how even ONE thing going wrong with just ONE of these DYLIBs can lead to an inoperable springboard. Hence, a failed boot. You can also see why and how easy the recent Cydia and RockApp updates can not only effect critical boot binaries like we have seen with diskdev-cmds (which DONT depend on MobileSubstrate) but also render your device unbootable by installing a "bad" DYLIB or DYLIB update. This isn't the fault of the package distributor like Cydia or RockApp, but mostly the fault lies with the package maintainer/author. See why jailbreaking is risky?

However, I have seen cases where an update TO MOBILESUBSTRATE ITSELF can cause even worse problems. Many of you mentioned MobileSubstrate as a package updated along with sbin/diskdev-cmds shortly before the boot problem reared it's ugly head. This shows the clear and very obvious potential for a "double whammy" making troubleshooting very difficult. Sure my DDC payload fixes the core boot binaries, but now we need something to fix the springboard. Which is what this package does.

Again, this allows the SpringBoard to load successfully because it doesn't know about or touch MobileSubstrate. Nearly every jailbreak application which uses code injection will be disabled upon boot. Thus, no winterboard, lockinfo, backgrounder, sbsettings, categories, etc etc. The WORKS. SO... you can expect to see icons everywhere if you used categories. You would see a standard look and feel (default) UI because winterboard isn't running. None of this stuff will be running.

The good news is, this validates our theories of a second problem related to MobileSubstrate and now we have stable working access to the phone (including SSH because it runs as a system daemon, and doesn't use code injection) and we can leisurely proceed to move each DYLIB in the directories listed from com.apple.SpringBoard to a backup folder (has the effect of disabling just that program when not inside the DynamicLibraries sub-folder) and then we can manually edit the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist file and put the library reference back. You can then safely reboot with MobileSubstrate enabled and proceed to move each DYLIB back to it's DynamicLibraries folder (preferably one at a time with a respring or reboot for each one) to find the problematic DYLIB. When this occurs, you will most likely need to write this down and then repatch with the killsub package to gain access once again.

As you can clearly see, the MobileSubstrate process has a huge impacting role in the jailbreak community and it had already been confirmed, by myself, and others. IT was also updated around the time sbin/diskdev-cmds was! There is no easy way to tell whether or not you will be effected by THIS problem because it depends on what packages use it, their versions, and even your own configuration and whether or not the DYLIBs play nicely with each other.

It's important to note that your settings and data are safe. We are simply disabling them temporarily to narrow down the problematic DYLIB. There could even be scenarios where there are multiples! Which is why I recommend a very clear, safe, one at a time testing procedure.

ADDITIONAL NOTES YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF!
    I mentioned above that the WRITE of com.apple.SpringBoard.plist is relatively safe. By safe, I mean it contains minimal amounts of data which is volatile in terms of how dynamic it is to each and everybody's own configuration. If it were volatile, this method of patching would be risky and mostly ineffective. Probably causing MORE problems than it solves. This isn't the case with this file, HOWEVER, there are situations where depending on your configuration, certain programs may attempt to use this file for some purpose. But that's very rare, due to this file being a DAEMON configuration plist, it's not changed. CHANGES to where your icons are, hidden or not, carrier name, settings for springboard, etc are stored in a different location (same name, different data which can be confusing if you don't pay attention to your current path) and it's located in the USER PATH /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.

I believe this package is the next step to bringing your phone to life if we haven't yet. Again, a reboot loop can be the result of said failures with MobileSubstrate but isn't the sole reason for this ocurring. But this will be a good tool nonetheless and it's finally targeted at the "more general" (yet harder to diagnose) stuck apple logo/reboot loop. Even after this rockapp mess is well behind us, I'm sure the problems that can occur with MobileSubstrate or especially bad DYLIBs from the authors themselves (and that's extremely a likely issue to occur if they don't handle multiple versions of MobileSubstrate ITSELF) will continue to happen well in to the future. Only this time, I produced a tool to fix it, straight from Recovery.

WINDOWS v0.1 - "forked" redsn0w 0.9.4
    5.17.2010 1:30PM KILLSUB DESCRIPTION:
    The KILLSUB Package for Windows attempts to disable Mobile Substrate and Rock Extensions to prevent Springboard Errors with problematic DYLIBS. Please CLICK HERE to read important information on this package and how it works!
    Download Package b33jsn0w-killsub-0.1-win.zip

MAC OSX v0.1 - "forked" redsn0w 0.9.4
    5.17.2010 1:30PM KILLSUB DESCRIPTION:
    The KILLSUB Package for MAC OSX attempts to disable Mobile Substrate and Rock Extensions to prevent Springboard Errors with problematic DYLIBS. Please CLICK HERE to read important information on this package and how it works!
    Download Package b33jsn0w-killsub-0.1-mac.zip

Go ahead and give it a shot, and see if this fixes a boot problem where mobile substrate is concerned. And then we are going to start working on those of you who are struggling with jealousy, from the folks who were lucky enough to have a much simpler problem. It's funny to say that word now, simple, as it has taken a lot of work to get here. LOL!

Stay tuned and stay positive!

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

BEEJ, Do you know why the windows version is working for some but not others? I see that about half of us return to the 7 second shut down while the other half have their phones restored to normal. I am among the people where the 7 second shutdown does not go away and am hoping you have some idea of what the variable may be

I uninstalled libusb and rebooted. I tried it and b33jsn0w ran okay. Unfortunately, I seem to be a victim of the "fsck failed" as well. Does that fix you're making later fix that?

Not sure if it matters, but something odd happened during the process. When b33jsn0w said "Waiting for reboot", my iPod would not boot. I waited several minutes and ended up having to press the power button to turn it on (after which the process continued and finished).

Hey there iBeej, is this patch you are working on going to fix the fsck failure for windows users?

Not sure if it's any help, but I get the same results (shut off after 7 seconds with "fsck failed") with and without libusb installed.

EDIT: The one difference between the two is, when I have libusb installed, I do not have to press the power button to reboot.

I don't know if this is helpful, but someone was able to fix a fsck problem a while back: iPhone in recovery-mode loop - need to extract data - fsck problem - Hackint0sh
    Last edited by spooky655; 2010-05-16 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The KILLSUB package will NOT fix the 'fsck' problem. I have some ideas to fix this for those of you with this issue. I will work on this exclusively in a few hours.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:40 PM.

Your last post regarding the KILLSUBS and MobileSubstrate was very interesting, iBeej. I'm looking forward to trying it out since I'm one of the unfortunates with the long Apple logo wait and then shutdown issue...and know it had nothing to do with Rock apps since I swore to never use Rock stuff after my last iPhone crash 8 months ago!

Question regarding the libusb file install/uninstall....I have a Mac and it seemed that the libusb was "already" installed for I didn't manually install it as I remember. Does the libusb file need to be uninstalled on a Mac?....or is the uninstall warning just for Windows users?

I'll be checking your updates here throughout the evening...
    Last edited by bassix; 2010-05-16 at 04:24 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by iBeej View Post
    Oh btw, I absolutely could not get b33jsn0w to recognize the phone with libusb installed. Well.... Not legacy 0.1 (that might actually work, which is a good theory you guys have that maybe it causes a problem). But the new 1.0 WinUSB (forked libusb 0.1) simply did not work. So when I patches my own phone this morning, I had reinstalled the Apple USB drivers. It would be good to clamp down on this variable and determine the outcome because a bad driver WILL cause so many problems for ANY program period. And believe me, after spending time in the libusb code, I can tell you it's not the most pretty, stable or reliable driver I have seen. In fact I worry about it so much I absolutely do not recommend having it installed when you run my patcher. Just eliminate that variable now and then report back.
    Hi iBeej, how do I reinstall apple driver after I uninstall libusb? Not really the nerd so pardon me if that question sound dumb

haha, so i just drove 30mins to a friends house to use his brothers mac only to find out that the mac version of this fix only works on intel based macs? This mac is a G4 PowerPC running 10.4.11. This thing is driving me nuts!

Thanks for working with all of us through all these random problems.

@iBeej,

i just need to know....my iphone is 3.1.2 with new bootrom that requires tethered boot. i ran the windows version of the fix which ends at the itunes logo...so since my iphone requires tethered boot, i ran redsn0w with "just boot my iphone" option(also tried blackra1n)...after about 3 seconds the phone shuts off,i have to manually start the phone by pressing the sleep button... and the circle of misery starts again.
    so in the scenario that the fix works, would i still need to run redsn0w or blackra1n to boot?

thanks and hats off to your dedication and worthy mindset.

I uninstalled libusb and tried running the windows patcher and it still got shutdown after the apple logo. Just to clarify, if I got the old bootrom I answer 'No' to the patcher question right?

Heya iBeej - thanks for all of your help/work so far... I'm still unfortunately in "infinite reboot loop" after a few seconds of the apple logo, the screen flashes white and it reboots...

I tried your first MacOS solution with an iBook which I only had access to through a friend...

Now that you've put out a Windows solution with an updated payload, I've just tried that... unfortunately, nothing doin' there either... same problem persists...

If there's anything I can do to help debug, let me know.

Here's my iRecovery info:

=======================================
    ::
    :: iBoot for n82ap, Copyright 2009, Apple Inc.
    :: BUILD_TAG: iBoot-636.66
    :: BUILD_STYLE: RELEASE
    :: USB_SERIAL_NUMBER: [taking this out.. not sure if it should be posted publicly]
    =======================================

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
    [NAND] Device ID [taking this out.. not sure if it should be posted publicly]
    [NAND] BANKS_TOTAL 4
    [NAND] BLOCKS_PER_BANK 4096
    [NAND] SECTORS_PER_PAGE 824288
    [NAND] BYTES_PER_SPARE 216
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
    read old style signature 0x43303035 (line:371)
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Open [OK]
    Boot Failure Count: 15 Panic Fail Count: 0
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt
    ]
    Last edited by footothebar; 2010-05-16 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added iRecovery info

Hello iBeej, redsn0w doesn't recognize my ipsw! ( iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw ).
    windows vista.
    3gs
    3.1.2 firmware
    Thank you very much.

Has anyone had any luck getting redsnow to recognize a 3.1 IPSW? It keeps telling me "Unable to recognize specified IPSW".

I've downloaded 3.1 twice now from the link. I tried 3.1.2 just in case and it works fine, but wasn't able to get my phone to work... still the logo for ~7 seconds then nothing.

I'm fairly certain I was on 3.1, so hopefully I didn't screw anything up by trying 3.1.2.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KublaKahn View Post
    Has anyone had any luck getting redsnow to recognize a 3.1 IPSW? It keeps telling me "Unable to recognize specified IPSW".

I've downloaded 3.1 twice now from the link. I tried 3.1.2 just in case and it works fine, but wasn't able to get my phone to work... still the logo for ~7 seconds then nothing.

I'm fairly certain I was on 3.1, so hopefully I didn't screw anything up by trying 3.1.2.
    Can you furnish me with more info ? If you have a 3g, just do a restore to 3.1.2 , run Blackra1n to hactivate and jailbreak it.
    If you have the official sim, you can use Spirit Jailbreak.

Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast