Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [SOLUTION] iPhone shut off during boot / Stuck Apple Logo

Good Morning, iBeej!!! I'm glad that you were able to get some rest.

I tried your latest b33snow-ddc-0.1 version on my MacBookPro and have the same results as my prior attempts. My iPhone was acting similar to brattygirl72 and KingCon's phones were, but your software cured brattygirl's iPhone, and KingCon's made it to a reboot cycle. Yes, variations are the key as you stated in your last post.

I'll describe what happened in my last attempt(s)...
    1) iPhone connected via DFU mode, (Recovery mode is not recognized by the redsn0w app.)
    2) I did set the redsn0w app to Install Cydia and turned on Verbose Mode.
    3) After clicking Next to start the actual process, iPhone is recognized and the "downloading JB data..." shows for roughly 7-8 minutes. (I stared at the screen the entire time looking for ANY info from the iPhone screen!)
    4) iPhone screen then flashes white and the unit reboots to the Apple logo. No pineapple or status bars are displayed and no fsck message is displayed.
    5) The iPhone screen stays on the Apple logo for about 4 minutes, then turns off...no reboot cycle. This was the same result that I have been getting for the last 2 days. SSHing into the phone does not work unfortunately.

Thoughts and questions...
    1) I know that many have reported that their phones shutdown or reboot within 10 seconds, but most of these reported units are 3GS models and have a faster processor. My model is the 3G 16GB. Could it be that the 3G model just takes much longer to get through the "initialize" process and the shutdown issue may have the same cause...or do you think that the issues are completely separate from each other?

2) My phone is also stuffed with many apps (400+), and after reading your blog on your website regarding how Apple software run a "validity" check on the file system after a crash, could this be the reason that it takes my phone so long to crash/powerdown (3-4mins) after it reboots compared to those that are shutting down within 10 seconds of rebooting?

3) I did backup my v3.1.2 .ipsw file when v3.1.2 came out and used redsn0w (v0.9.1 or 0.9.2?) to JB it. When I try to use the same .ipsw as I did originally, your modded redsn0w apps (all of the versions) don't recognize the firmware as valid. I downloaded the v3.1.2 from a few reputable sites and only one of them is truly recognized by your modded redsn0w app. Any thoughts on this? Should I send you my original .ipsw that I originally used to JB my phone? If so, where and how can I get it to you?

4) Do you think iRecovery would collect any info while the phone is in this state? I'll try it, if you think it will.

I want to thank you again for your dedication to this set of issues with our problematic phones, and I hope that you eventually do produce a working utility for the iPhone community that will help us and others in the future. It is truly needed when one thinks about all of the cool, and NOT so cool (Rock!), OS add-ons that customize/mod the iPhone OS to our individual needs...and that can reek havoc when things go bad.

I'll be here checking for updated info as the day goes on...
    Michael

P.S. Make sure to save up enough of the donation proceeds to take the wife out on a nice date. You'll both deserve it!

IBeej, you really rock. Your level of dedication to this is amazing!

I've finally had my coffee and found the correct IPSW for my phone. Everything runs through fine - I get the pineapple and everything and the phone does its final reboot. And then nothing... Back to a white apple for 7 seconds or so and then it shuts off again. I've tried several times with various options checked in b33jsn0w, but the result is always the same. I don't get the verbose boot screen either (after selecting that option). So I guess I'm back to square one for now. I will follow the developments here and see if new fix shows up.

The details again:

3GS
    Old Bootrom
    3.0.0 (yes, I'm really running a version that old)
    Was jailbroken with Redsn0w
    Using Windows XP

Thanks again and good luck to all!

Okay I figured I might write what I am using for this proccess.

1. Video the proccess of the verbose boot
    2. Convert if neccessary to another video format
    3. Decompile into frames using OSS Video Decompiler (free) or any other video decompiler
    4. Download a Panorama making program, I for exempel use the free version of ArcSoft Panorama Maker. The problem I recently discovered is that saving pictures is of limited resolution so you have to save as .xps for full quality (print to microsoft xps), which somewhat sucks. So I am currently browsing for some other program. When done either upload or mail to BEEJ

Thanks, spooky655 and KingCon for the info regarding iRecovery. I'll try it, but I don't think it will work in the state that my iPhone is in now.

No, I don't. With that added will it be able to detect the iphone in recovery mode?

Is that a seperate program? Where do I find it?
    download libusb here:
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

If you have Vista or Windows 7, go to properties and change compatibility to Windows XP before you run the program. After installing you will have to reboot. If, after you reboot, a lot of drivers aren't working (wifi, audio, etc.) then uninstall libusb and tell me. If, after you reboot, everything is fine, then libusb should be installed correctly.
    Last edited by spooky655; 2010-05-15 at 08:41 PM.

I did video of the boot then jsut played it back in media player classic which allows you to take screenshots of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I did video of the boot then jsut played it back in media player classic which allows you to take screenshots of the video.
    I imagine that it is a bit faster ^^

If anyone knows a way better way to do this, plese do tell

@iBeej

Sorry if I misunderstood your instructions and am, therefore, wasting your time. If I can't be of any help in the way you mentioned, do you think it is safe to test your modified redsn0w on my iPod? I am willing to try as long there isn't a chance of doing unfixable damage (I still do not want to restore).

Default Thank you!
    Beej,

Thank you for all of your hard work!! And all for no other reason than you simply wanted to help others. Your latest software version did the trick. Since I had both OSes I just stuck with the Mac throughout the process and that was were I had this latest success. Another "thank you" is on its way to help with the bandwidth. It is the least I can do. Take care, get sleep, and hopefully the whole work thing will sort itself out.

Tan

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    download libusb here:
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

If you have Vista or Windows 7, go to properties and change compatibility to Windows XP before you run the program. After installing you will have to reboot. If, after you reboot, a lot of drivers aren't working (wifi, audio, etc.) then uninstall libusb and tell me. If, after you reboot, everything is fine, then libusb should be installed correctly.
    From what I have excperienced, that libusb is NOT compatible with 64-bit OS, it might cause major harm if you have no clue how to operate the device manager. It messed something up for me as it made the drivers for my usb-ports crash so that I could not use my keyboard and mouse, lucky me I had a pair of keyboard+mouse using the old fashion ports. And it also helped to boot in safe mode

So, here's my current situation...

I was helping Beej with some of the windows testing yesterday. Up to that point, I had a phone that shut off after a few seconds at the Apple logo. I tried the 1st Mac fix and it would crash like for many people. I tried the second one and that ran fine. But, no change to my phone.
    Then I ran one of Beej's windows betas and it ran through ok. But, after that I now have a phone that is stuck in constant reboot mode.

I've tried using iRecovery, but all I can do is get some IDs (like previous posts) and can't really do anything in the terminal to talk to the phone. So, I'm kinda stuck there.

So, right now, I have a phone that's stuck in a reboot loop and verbose boot goes by so fast, I can't read anything. When running the fix, I have been selecting the OLD bootrom. I assume this because I still have the box my phone came in and the serial on there indicates a old bootrom (based on the help text in redsn0w.

So, I'm now trying an IPSW from a different source and see if that works.

I don't know what to do at this point. I can still help with testing whenever. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and restore. This has been torture without my phone. I just hope we can get this working.

iBeej: You rock man!

Quote Originally Posted by faithless-1 View Post
    From what I have excperienced, that libusb is NOT compatible with 64-bit OS, it might cause major harm if you have no clue how to operate the device manager. It messed something up for me as it made the drivers for my usb-ports crash so that I could not use my keyboard and mouse, lucky me I had a pair of keyboard+mouse using the old fashion ports. And it also helped to boot in safe mode
    Oh sorry. I probably should have looked at your OS's. Not sure if it'll work, but you can try this: [ame=http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148985][New] Fix LIBUSB on Windows Vista 64-Bit - iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad forum - Multi-Touch Fans[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    Oh sorry. I probably should have looked at your OS's. Not sure if it'll work, but you can try this: [New] Fix LIBUSB on Windows Vista 64-Bit - iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad forum - Multi-Touch Fans
    Hehe no prob for me, I just wanted to inform the others before they do the same mistake as I did

OK, I tried iRecovery on my MacBookPro. I did have the libusb already installed. I was able to retrieve some info when putting the iPhone into Recovery mode, but I don't know how useful it would be...

Here is the copied text...

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
    [NAND] Device ID xxxxxxxxxx
    [NAND] BANKS_TOTAL 4
    [NAND] BLOCKS_PER_BANK 8192
    [NAND] PAGES_PER_BANK 1048576
    [NAND] SECTORS_PER_PAGE 8
    [NAND] BYTES_PER_SPARE 128
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
    read old style signature 0x43303035 (line:371)
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Open [OK]
    Boot Failure Count: 15 Panic Fail Count: 15
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt

My phone stays stuck at this point and will not continue. I'll try it again in DFU mode to see if it reports anything different.
    Last edited by bassix; 2010-05-17 at 05:41 PM. Reason: remove device ID

Bassix, I want to properly reply to all of your questions in a few, but I wanted to say quickly, yes... A LOT of apps slows booting down immensely. It takes 'fsck' a long time to do it's integrity check. So keep that in mind. Long or short boot times aren't neccessarily an indication of a problem or success. Remember I mentioned I have over 590 apps, and it takes my phone about 7 minutes to boot when 'fsck' is called. (usually only after a crash)

I have a theory system-cmds could be a package that's causing problems. My question to you guys is, can you remember, anything at all about your last update? Did you see something related to system-cmds with diskdev-cmds?

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:46 PM.

Tried iRecovery with the iPhone in DFU mode and it was not recognized.

iBeej, thanks for the info. My last updates to any system or OS files as I remember was installing updates to SBSettings, Categories, Categories Toggles, Music Controls, and ...yes, the Mobile Substrate that may have had some system-cmds. I'd have to go to Cydia and check what the packages add or modded.

But those functions WERE working for over a week before the problem of shutdown occurred. I did install some downloaded apps since then.

I'll look into it and post it after I take the wife to see IronMan2 and an early dinner.

Thanks,
    Michael

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Still not working
    Hi, thanks for the hard work iBeej.

I ran it on my 3G with 3.1.2 and the installation went through fine but it the iPhone still shuts down after a few seconds at the apple logo.

iPhone 3G
    Unlocked with blackra1n
    WinXP

Before this problem I ran updates in both Cydia and Rock so I'm not sure if the the Cydia updates would require a different fix? I assumed the sBin update was the same in both apps but I'm not sure.

Cheers
    Hopefully there will be a new update we can try soon?

Quote Originally Posted by bassix View Post
    Tried iRecovery with the iPhone in DFU mode and it was not recognized.
    I think you need to be in recovery mode.

I don't remember seeing anything related to system-cmds or diskdev-cmds personally. I do remember a couple of things that needed updating (and I did the batch update through Rock) Cydia, Rock, Install-us (filter), and a couple of lower level packages that I can't remember. Additionally, I had tried to install SoundHound through Install-us (I know it's free, but was actually testing Install-us since I hadn't used in it so long). When I installed it, it didn't show up. So, I tried again. Still not showing up. Phone was running a bit slower than normal, so I did a reboot (holding sleep button for a few secs and using slider). When it rebooted, the problem occurred. That's when I found this thread.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by icegunner; 2010-05-15 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iBeej View Post
    Bassix, I want to properly reply to all of your questions in a few, but I wanted to say quickly, yes... A LOT of apps slows booting down immensely. It takes 'fsck' a long time to do it's integrity check. So keep that in mind. Long or short boot times aren't neccessarily an indication of a problem or success. Remember I mentioned I have over 590 apps, and it takes my phone about 7 minutes to boot when 'fsck' is called. (usually only after a crash)

I have a theory system-cmds could be a package that's causing problems. My question to you guys is, can you remember, anything at all about your last update? Did you see something related to system-cmds with diskdev-cmds?
    Hey IBeej,

I'm still fsked (they should make that a new verb "to be fsked"). Anyhows, I'm fairly sure that my rock last update before this issue had system-cmds/diskdev-cmds (i think it was diskdev)

cheers!

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast