Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Old first generation iphone 1.1.1 with tmobile service. Can I upgrade?

Default Old first generation iphone 1.1.1 with tmobile service. Can I upgrade?
    Hey all. I originally bought the iphone when it first came out a few years ago.

I unlocked and jailbroke the phone and slapped a tmobile card into it.

I was using the edge network for the longest time, and it wasn't really perfect. I could get onto the internet to view websites and check my mail with long updates, however any applications I downloaded would not connect or work on my edge network (like facebook, twitter, or aim)

I recently have upgraded my tmobile plan to unlimited everything (talk, txt, and data)

My phone is old and I don't really get the full use out of it (never have since I have bought the thing). I have never downloaded any apps really just some third party ones and they have never connected or worked the way they should have.

What I would like to do is possibly wipe my phone clean and start fresh. I would like to upgrade the firmware if possible and safe, and would like to be able to use my iphone and all of its features.

I would like to keep all of my contacts and pictures if possible, music doesn't matter I can put that back on anytime.

Also I need to make sure my data plan actually works on the phone and I can connect and stay connected to actual apps and download new ones.

If anyone can point me to any threads, or give me any instruction here it would be greatly appreciated. I have been very weary of messing with the phone for so long now because I don't want to mess anything up, but I think the time has come to get it working like it should be and finally enjoy the darn thing.

Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Sync your phone with iTunes, and then you can have all your contacts back.
    Hard to believe you still have a phone with 1.1.1 on it. You can update to any firmware you want and still unlock and jailbreak. Check out these guides.
    iPhone 2G – Windows

1.1.1 WOW that is sooo old hahah i remember that jailbrekame.com site lmao those were the good times.

BUT yes you can update no problems but you will need to re-unlock again. I'd suggest restore and download redsn0w and unlock from there.

Okay it's been so long since I have read up on anything iphone related.

What is the suggested firmware I upgrade to? 3.1.2 or 3.1.3?

Excuse the noobness it's just been so long I don't wanna mess anything up.

I am checking out this guide and it looks pretty simple: http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbre...s-x/#more-3019

If I follow this guide will it wipe out all of the apps I currently have in my iphone? I want to get a fresh start and just wipe everything out that I have and hopefully fix my tmobile data problem.
    Last edited by lyricalmenace; 2010-05-09 at 02:02 AM.

Well, you're going to need to restore, but you can re-sync all your AppStore Apps (was AppStore in 1.1.1? -- I'm new as of 3.1.2). You will loose all your jailbroken apps. To keep your unlock, you should upgrade to 3.1.2 -- there is no unlock for 3.1.3. You can download it here. Put it in Recovery mode and do a Shift-restore to the ipsw. Then, I would recommend jailbreaking with redsn0w 0.9.2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Zehlek's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as I know you can unlock iPhone 2G with any firmware

Thanks

^ correct. 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

I don't need to save any of my apps whatsoever, I would actually like to have all of them deleted. Only things I need to keep are my contacts, and my photos.

Can anyone kind of help me and give me a step by step instruction of what I need to do? A lot of the info seems to be spread out in different areas, and I just want to make sure I do this 100% correctly.

Are these steps correct?

1. Sync with itunes to save photos and contacts.

2. Restore phone using itunes.

3. Follow the guide listed above.

4. Complete?

Is that correct? Also what are the differences from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3? Should I go for the later version or go with 3.1.2?

Keep in mind I have a 2G phone 1st generation.

Thanks again!

Bump.
    Last edited by lyricalmenace; 2010-05-15 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You got it, 3.1.2 may be easier for you.

Okay, say I am going to upgrade to 3.1.2 instead of 3.1.3

How do I actually do that using the guide that was provided above? That guide is an upgrade to 3.1.3

Thanks

just download a 3.1.2 ipsw and shift+restore to that

What version of itunes should I update to? It's been years since I have updated it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lyricalmenace View Post
    What version of itunes should I update to? It's been years since I have updated it.
    Don't update yet or you will be screwed.

Here is the explaination, if you have been using the old anysim method, you have to uninstall them first, by reflashing the baseband to apple 1.1.1 baseband only then you can restore safely to higher version. If you don't do this , you will brick your Iphone.

Edit : Maybe you can get away by restoring to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 again before restoring to 3.1.3 and then you use the above link to jailbreak and unlock. It has been so long that I last did this 3 years ago.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-16 at 06:33 AM.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've got a question of my own. I have a 1st gen iphone, unlocked and jailbroken to 3.1.2. I'm using t-mobile and am running t-mobile's Edge service, which is considerably slower than ATTs 3G (obviously). Sooooo, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do w/ my 1st gen to speed it up. Any responses are appreciated.