Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Fw umbrella cant get the hosts to run [17.112.176.11]

  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The O.C. (or upinya)
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Fw umbrella cant get the hosts to run [17.112.176.11]
    Trying to do a FW Umbrella restore.

    Hi there everyone. Ok, before anyone asks if I have edited the hosts file to say 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com, yes I have. LOL.

    In fact what is SO FRUSTRATING is that I have been through all the steps with the exception of really doing a restore and everything worked fine. Cached blogs, pinged correctly.

    Well, now I cant get the ping to ping correctly. Tells me the following

    Pinging gs.apple.com.akadns.net [17.112.176.11] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 17.112.176.11: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=243


    Here is how I have trouble shot it. Deleted the old Sauriks IP, posted the correct 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com in the hosts file, even did duplicates of the 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com.

    No go.

    Googled the issue, didnt find much. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

    You have NO IDEA how frustrating this is as I tested it about a month ago and it was all ready to fly with the exception of really restoring.

    Ugh. Help

  2. #2
    i am having the exact same problem as you. got my .shsh file, i edited the hosts file properly, and its still pinging apples server.

    any ideas guys?

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The O.C. (or upinya)
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
    i am having the exact same problem as you. got my .shsh file, i edited the hosts file properly, and its still pinging apples server.

    any ideas guys?
    Man, I am sure glad that I didnt wait around for a reply to my OP. LOL.

    I should have updated my post. I went to a different computer and it worked perfectly.

    The only correlation is that I have recently dont a complete restore via a backup image of my computer. When restoring with the back up, it must have jacked something up.

    Use a diff computer, should work fine.

    Best of luck to you.

  4. #4
    I can't get itunes to redirect. Iphone 3.12, newer model, jailbroken with blackra1n (tethered). Like many others, I foolishly tried to do a network reset and ended up in the infamous loop.
    I cannot restore to 3.12, even though SHSH blobs are with Cydia. I have edited the hosts file and added the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com line, but itunes still seems to ping the apple server and won't let me restore the 3.12 firmware. If I open a cmd window and ping gs.apple.com it pings 17.112.176.11.
    Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? (windows 7 32 bit )

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The O.C. (or upinya)
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jsjazz View Post
    I can't get itunes to redirect. Iphone 3.12, newer model, jailbroken with blackra1n (tethered). Like many others, I foolishly tried to do a network reset and ended up in the infamous loop.
    I cannot restore to 3.12, even though SHSH blobs are with Cydia. I have edited the hosts file and added the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com line, but itunes still seems to ping the apple server and won't let me restore the 3.12 firmware. If I open a cmd window and ping gs.apple.com it pings 17.112.176.11.
    Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? (windows 7 32 bit )
    1st, after a JB with BR, before you do your network reset, put your phone into airplane mode. That worked for me.

    As far as the ping to apple goes, see my other post. Use a different computer. Should work on a diff computer.

  6. #6
    I'm going to try and avoid ever doing a network reset again!

    I tried on a different computer (desktop), and initially I was able to restore a standard 3.12 firmware! Then I restored from a backup (to get messages etc back as I thought this shouldn't affect the OS) and lost the wireless and speaker sounds. I assumed there was something corrupt in my backup so tried to restore the 3.12 again on the desktop- this time no joy.
    I then went back to the laptop and uninstalled all appple related stuff,deleted all apple related directories, rebooted and reinstalled iTunes, rechecked the hosts file and tried to restore to 3.12- no luck.
    Next I'll try another different computer- but I can't go on trying a new computer after one restore - weird.
    For the moment I'm going back to my WinMobile touch pro as at least I can reboot that when necessary.

  7. #7
    Exactly the same desktop- now can restore a 3.12 firmware. Bizarre. I give up on trying to understand Apple / iphones.

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The O.C. (or upinya)
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jsjazz View Post
    Exactly the same desktop- now can restore a 3.12 firmware. Bizarre. I give up on trying to understand Apple / iphones.
    LOL. So you just tried it again and it worked ?

  9. #9
    Exactly!
    Makes no sense.

  10. #10
    You musta done something that you didn't realize you did
    Moving Shadow

  11. #11
    Cant't think what. Clean reboot of desktop, put into recovery mode, shift-restore.
    1st time it worked.
    then tried again- error message- tried 4 or 5 times, no luck.
    Next day, worked again.
    Anyway, CONVBMW's suggestion of using a different computer was helpful- thanks.
    Unsatisfactory not knowing why it doesn't work on the laptop though.
    At least on the desktop itunes seems to obey the hosts file and checks Sauriks server. My laptop refuses to do this, no matter what I do to the hosts file, reboot etc. I even uninstalled all apple related stuff including itunes and reinstalled but no joy.

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The O.C. (or upinya)
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jsjazz View Post
    Cant't think what. Clean reboot of desktop, put into recovery mode, shift-restore.
    1st time it worked.
    then tried again- error message- tried 4 or 5 times, no luck.
    Next day, worked again.
    Anyway, CONVBMW's suggestion of using a different computer was helpful- thanks.
    Unsatisfactory not knowing why it doesn't work on the laptop though.
    At least on the desktop itunes seems to obey the hosts file and checks Sauriks server. My laptop refuses to do this, no matter what I do to the hosts file, reboot etc. I even uninstalled all apple related stuff including itunes and reinstalled but no joy.
    Sorry that I havent updated or touched base on the matter. I can totally understand how its unsatisfacotry when REALLY not knowing the reason why it happens. I am the same way. I always want to know why as well.

    Here is what I did and it worked on the same computer that it was NOT working on originally. I did a repair on Windows XP Pro, SP 3. Just popped in the CD, ran the repair. Then I ran the ping at gs.apple yadda yadda and sure enough.........it pinged properly.


    Try it out and see what happens. I dont know if it will work but all I know it was making me MENTAL when I couldnt get it to work on my desktop. Once again, did the repair and WHAMMO. It pinged.

    Take note, its not a full restore of the OS, just a repair.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsjazz View Post
    Cant't think what. Clean reboot of desktop, put into recovery mode, shift-restore.
    1st time it worked.
    then tried again- error message- tried 4 or 5 times, no luck.
    Next day, worked again.
    Anyway, CONVBMW's suggestion of using a different computer was helpful- thanks.
    Unsatisfactory not knowing why it doesn't work on the laptop though.
    At least on the desktop itunes seems to obey the hosts file and checks Sauriks server. My laptop refuses to do this, no matter what I do to the hosts file, reboot etc. I even uninstalled all apple related stuff including itunes and reinstalled but no joy.

    Sorry that I havent updated or touched base on the matter. I can totally understand how its unsatisfactory when REALLY not knowing the reason why it happens. I am the same way. I always want to know why as well.

    Here is what I did and it worked on the same computer that it was NOT working on originally. I did a repair on Windows XP Pro, SP 3. Just popped in the CD, ran the repair. Then I ran the ping at gs.apple yadda yadda and sure enough.........it pinged properly.


    Try it out and see what happens. I dont know if it will work but all I know it was making me MENTAL when I couldnt get it to work on my desktop. Once again, did the repair and WHAMMO. It pinged.

    Take note, its not a full restore of the OS, just a repair.
    Last edited by CONVBMW; 2010-05-20 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #13
    It must be a memory on the laptop thats doing this. That's my guess at least
    Moving Shadow

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •