Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recover from Rock update - help

Exclamation Recover from Rock update - help
    Okay there are quite a few people with bricked iPhones because of the Rock update. Before I do anything with my phone and choose the wrong path I need some advice. Background:

Not sure which iphone OS Im on. I havent updated anything in maybe 6 months. Jailbroke via BlackRain website. Installed Rock and some other typical apps. Not sure if I have an iPhone backup on my home PC or not. I had to reinstall Windows on that PC and not sure if I did that before or after my last backup.

Did the update and now wont boot past the apple screen.

So lets say I have no iTunes backup at home. How do I get my photos and stuff off the phone? Is there a way to connect to itunes, back it up, and then update the OS so the thing starts working and then JB again? Do I need to buy a 3rd party software to get an image or my files off before connecting it to itunes?

Im a n00b with this and just need some clear instructions before I do anything. I dont want to start something I cant undo.

Thanks!!!!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Already happened to me. All you can do is restore. I lost everything anyway. That's what I did, don't know if you're going to be determined to find an alternative lol I've tried SSH and everything--couldn't do a thing.

Rock should create something to recover from this. They created it, They should fix it. I am asking all users of Rock to ban it from your phone until they make this right

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah I already did. I only installed Cydia this time. I can't believe an update f'd my phone up.

I'm not being able to restore either.
    iTunes gives me an error 3001 on Recovery mode and 1600 in DFU mode.
    Tried with Tinytss and also Cydia servers. Gives me the same error.

What do I do?

OK, so I am in the same boat as everyone else. Had a 3.1.2 jailbreak on a 3G. Was working great... did the update... Rock stated that something was updated but that something also failed update. Did the soft reboot, then hard reboot/power off because the phone became unresponsive. Phone was bricked upon first boot. Logo appearing for about 10 seconds then disappeared. Eventually figured out that I’d have to go DFU to get back to a base OS. Used sn0wbreeze 1.2 with 3.1.2 to get things back to booting and jail broken. Then did a restore from a 5/1 backup and got apps plus some music and pics.

Here is my issue now… I had probably 25 Cydia/Rock apps installed. Cannot remember them all just know that they are now not showing on pages 4-5 on the 3G. Some were support libs others were apps and others were backgrounds and mods. So my question… is there a way to drill down into the OS and see a log or some listing of the Cydia/Rock apps I had installed so that I can simply and quickly reinstall? Or did the 3.1.2 refresh blow everything away completely? Is there no trace of what may have been installed? Also, moving forward, is there a way to back all of the non-Apple approved apps so that if this ever happens again there is a quick method to restore Cydia/Rock apps, settings, mods, etc...?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Try using a different ipsw or a custom firmware and shift+restore to them. I personally dont like using custom firmwares as they are from other people so i like to shift+restore to stock firmwares. Just dont do it with stock 3.1.3 it might up your baseband so you should use 3.1.3 or a custom fw of 3.1.3 or 3.1.2.

^^was for kkalani
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-08 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is it possible to maintain 05.11.07 with a 3.1.3?
    If it is, is it possible to unlock the baseband?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes if you use a custom firmware. Sometimes custom firmware causes problems as it is made by someone else for their own phone and might install incorrectly on your phone. Use at your own risk. Custom firmwares are already activated so no jailbreak process is needed. If you want to use a stock firmware, use 3.1.2 to maintain an unlockable baseband. If you use 3.1.3 stock ipsw, it might up your baseband and render it not unlockable.

Oh yeah, to unlock on baseband 5.11.07 you will use Blacksn0w which can be downloaded from Cydia by adding repo Blacksn0w.com or if you chose to use a stock firmware, you may jailbreak with Blackra1n which will include Blacksn0w.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-08 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kkalani (2010-05-08)