Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My 3GS is Bricked after I tried to do a Restore to factory setting!!!

Exclamation My 3GS is Bricked after I tried to do a Restore to factory setting!!!
    Guys, I bricked my 3GS 3.1.2 despite all the prior advice & warnings per storing certain files, which I am just learning about! See, I had earlier jb & unlocked, BUT mysteriously my Cydia, Rock & BlackRain icons simply disappeared during one of my usual iTune syncing & backup sessions. Since then I noticed that soon as my phone battery dies out, my iPhone goes into DFU mode, prompting a 'connect to iTune', & to get it back on, I always run BlackRain restore my phone back to normal, ok. Well, this morning, I decided to quit going through this motion, & do a system restore, then JB & unlock normally so I can have Cydia & co on my phone & stop with this DFU mode situation. This has turned out to be the WORST IDEA OF MY iPHONE LIFE! My phone is now bricked & I dunno what the heck to do, someone, please helpppppp!

One more bit of info, I always use IPSW from iClarified, & when I tried this restore it had to contact apple & said something like apple does not recognize my phone or so. I bought this from an AT&T store back in January, & I'm currently out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiksmart View Post
    Guys, I bricked my 3GS 3.1.2 despite all the prior advice & warnings per storing certain files, which I am just learning about! See, I had earlier jb & unlocked, BUT mysteriously my Cydia, Rock & BlackRain icons simply disappeared during one of my usual iTune syncing & backup sessions. Since then I noticed that soon as my phone battery dies out, my iPhone goes into DFU mode, prompting a 'connect to iTune', & to get it back on, I always run BlackRain restore my phone back to normal, ok. Well, this morning, I decided to quit going through this motion, & do a system restore, then JB & unlock normally so I can have Cydia & co on my phone & stop with this DFU mode situation. This has turned out to be the WORST IDEA OF MY iPHONE LIFE! My phone is now bricked & I dunno what the heck to do, someone, please helpppppp!

One more bit of info, I always use IPSW from iClarified, & when I tried this restore it had to contact apple & said something like apple does not recognize my phone or so. I bought this from an AT&T store back in January, & I'm currently out of the country.
    Well, here's my guess.

Your phone was not going into DFU mode after dying/restarting/shutting down, it was going into Recovery Mode. This is what a jailbroken 3GS with a new bootrom will do, you have to run BlackRain every time you restart. It's called a tethered jailbreak.

What this means is the ISPW from iClarified, or anywhere really, won't help you. With a new bootrom, custom ISPWs don't work.

What you can do now?

1. Do you have your 3.1.2 SHSH blobs on file with Cydia? If you have the 3.1.2 SHSH on file, you can redirect your computer to look at the Cydia server, and then you can restore to 3.1.2 and re-jailbreak with Spirit. This will preserve your BB and still allow you to unlock. Search this site for guides for both restoring 3.1.2 from cydia and jailbreaking with Spirit, there are several.

2. If you do not have your 3.1.2 blob on file with Cydia, you can restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with Spirit. Two catches here are: first, when you restore to 3.1.3 you will upgrade your baseband and you can't unlock that one at this time so you will need your AT&T sim to activate your phone, and second, you have to be activated or hacktivated to run Spirit .

Good Luck!

[Edited to add: Does anyone know if the Cydia server is up and sending SHSH files? I had heard it was down, but I do not have 3.1.2 blobs on file for this phone (I got it after they had stopped signing) so I haven't really been paying attention personally)]
    Last edited by BumbleBeez; 2010-05-07 at 03:49 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BumbleBeez For This Useful Post:

Aiksmart (2010-05-07)

cant get into dfu dude

Yea, I guess I'm pretty much screwed, I went thru the entire process, CWindows\System32 bla bla bla, copied & pasted new address "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" at the end of the file on notepad, started up iTunes>recovery mode>Browsed to the 3.1.2 firmware file on my system, I got from iClarified>declined at apple vrification, says NOT ELIGIBLE!!!
    Ok, ALL THE iPhone GURUS in the WORLD, PLEASE SAVE ME from my MISERY...GEHOTZ, DEV TEAM, SPIRIT ALL OF YOU PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!