Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem changing host file

Default Problem changing host file
    I opened notepad,went to bottom of list and added the gs.apple line as described in tutorial, but when I click "save" I get error message stating "cannot create this file, make sure path is correct. what am I doing wrong??

Thanks

Would think you do not have access rights.
    Click file properties/security - got o advanced then owner. Take ownership of the file.
    Now you can edit/save.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

I couldn't make it do what you suggested so I just tried again, again same error but when I closed the file another screen came up and asked me if I wanted to save it to "host.txt". I said yes and it did in fact change that file but the original "host" notepad stayed the same????? what the H am I doing wrong. when I right click on host it does not give me the option to change ownership or whatever you said it would do..so I just opened it, made the addition and clicked save, said it could not create that so I closed it and the new box came up and asked if I wanted to save it to "host.txt".. I said yes and it did in fact save it to host.txt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Copy the host file onto the desktop and change it. Then when done go to where the host file is supposed to be and paste the desktop version in there.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Copy the host file onto the desktop and change it. Then when done go to where the host file is supposed to be and paste the desktop version in there.
    I am sorry to sound so inept but I do not know how to copy it to the desktop. I did add the line under the local and before the spybot lines but it still wouldn't save it but I did save it to the host.txt file. will that work or do I have to figure out how to make it accept my change in "host"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

As long as it is in that main folder it won't accept the cahnges. So right click copy the hosts.txt and then on your desktop right click paste it. Change the one you pasted on the desktop. Then right click copy the one on your desktop and paste it in the folder back into the original folder. Say yes to overwrite popup.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    As long as it is in that main folder it won't accept the cahnges. So right click copy the hosts.txt and then on your desktop right click paste it. Change the one you pasted on the desktop. Then right click copy the one on your desktop and paste it in the folder back into the original folder. Say yes to overwrite popup.
    it made the change in "host.txt" but it doesn't show up when I click open "host" and select notepad. but as long as it is in the host.txt folder is that what counts?? I sure hope so because I cannot change the one in "host". in fact it says at the top of that file "this is a sample of host file or something to that effect.