Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs won't boot past apple logo and turns off by itself

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedteal View Post
    That doesnt really answer my question as to if it will work with my tethered 3GS 3.1.2 phone that is currently "rocked out".
    If you have a 3GS with old bootrom and do what I did you won't be tethered. Sn0wbreeze never had a tethered JB it was only blackrain.

i tried to do it your way but it gave me an error after trying to install the modified .ipsw file. I will try again, but now i am getting cannot contact update server. Should i be pointing it to cydia server where my SHSH info has been stored?

this is the error message i am getting.

The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2)
    Last edited by thephoenix316; 2010-05-10 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What gave you that error, iTunes, sn0wbreeze, iReb ? I'm helping lots of people and can't keep up with everyone. Please give details and I can help faster, of course up to my limits because I'm not a hacker whiz kid, just a normal iPhone user who got sick of waiting for others so I did my research. Now I'm here trying to help as many as I can.

my phone got stuck in boot up mode from the stupid rock update too. i actually got it to finally work etc again so yay. Had to restore which updated it to 3.1.3 but the spirit jailbreak worked fine. However, today I noticed that my MMS isnt working?! I have ATT. so its not unlocked. im not receiving ANY mms msgs AND if I try to send it, it gets almost all the way sent and then i get the ! saying it didnt resend..any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by amykat321 View Post
    my phone got stuck in boot up mode from the stupid rock update too. i actually got it to finally work etc again so yay. Had to restore which updated it to 3.1.3 but the spirit jailbreak worked fine. However, today I noticed that my MMS isnt working?! I have ATT. so its not unlocked. im not receiving ANY mms msgs AND if I try to send it, it gets almost all the way sent and then i get the ! saying it didnt resend..any advice?
    Settings, General, scroll all the way down to Reset, now press RESET NETWORK SETTINGS. Turn it off then on again and then send yourself an MMS. When you receive it it should have activated your setting again and you should be fine.

The thing about almost getting to the end then saying it didn't go through sometimes is just the network signal and it fixes itself with a stringer signal somewhere else in your house.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerocare For This Useful Post:

amykat321 (2010-05-11)

yay it worked. thanks glad it was a QUICK and EASY fix this time! ugh! now, if i could just get itextuploader to actually RESTORE my texts all the way to now not just feb!! oh well!

Default 3gs waiting on solution
    I've been following this thread since Friday when my phone bricked due to Rock. I did a tethered unlock using blacksnow (?) a few months ago. I see instructions on how to update to 3.1.3 and get my phone back but no instructions on how to build a custom 3.1.3 with 5.11.07 baseband. Pwnagetool wants to build to 4.?.? which is no good for me.

iTunes will not allow me to restore to 3.1.2. Nothing stored with Cydia or anywhere else.

I use T-Mobile and need it unlocked. Not having all my apps available anymore is not a big deal. Not having my phone is.

Have I missed something here?

Quote Originally Posted by ccstrong View Post
    I've been following this thread since Friday when my phone bricked due to Rock. I did a tethered unlock using blacksnow (?) a few months ago. I see instructions on how to update to 3.1.3 and get my phone back but no instructions on how to build a custom 3.1.3 with 5.11.07 baseband. Pwnagetool wants to build to 4.?.? which is no good for me.

iTunes will not allow me to restore to 3.1.2. Nothing stored with Cydia or anywhere else.

I use T-Mobile and need it unlocked. Not having all my apps available anymore is not a big deal. Not having my phone is.

Have I missed something here?
    I don't have a MAC but I understand you can create a 3.1.3 restore with pwnage tool then unlock with ultrasn0w. Verify that.

If you can get a regular Windows PC then use sn0wbreeze to create a 3.1.3 restore ipsw and restore leaving your baseband as it is. I did it and my baseband stayed at 04.26.08

Either way you don't need your shsh files anywhere because they're created by the programs on 3.1.3 and iTunes thinks it's the regular 3.1.3 so they don't even notice anything.

Since when was this just a Rock thing?

I have never even installed Rock on my 3GS, only Cydia, and I also am having the same problem.

I upgraded all my Cydia upgrades a few days ago.

I'm on 3.1.2, jailbroke with Blackrain, and I have a backup as of 5/2 but how would one restore?

If I choose to restore through iTunes with the 3.1.2 firmware I get the error message that it's not eligible for the requested build.

I do have an SSH on file with Cydia from the get go, do I have any options other than waiting for the fix out for Mac now, to come to windows?

Your post on this thread is #129 and I'm assuming you haven't read the previous posts. The process is available on Windows and I've explained it pretty much throughout the thread. I'll answer any doubts specially from people with new questions but if you read the thread you'll get all the answers you might need.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocare View Post
    Your post on this thread is #129 and I'm assuming you haven't read the previous posts. The process is available on Windows and I've explained it pretty much throughout the thread. I'll answer any doubts specially from people with new questions but if you read the thread you'll get all the answers you might need.
    It's 9 pages and 130+ posts long.

Of course I didn't read the entire thing.

Sticky it, bold it, update the first post with the post # to the solutions.

Not that hard.

Most people aren't going to read 9 pages.

You're right, most people won't. I spent over 21 straight hours on my laptop on many forums getting bits and pieces since Friday trying to figure out why and how it hapenned and how to fix this and I finally did it. I've been helping lots of people here too. I could have just said "I'll wait for someone to fix it and then they'll tell me". I could also have just figured it out and fixed it and not told anyone, but I didn't. I'm still here trying to help but I'm not going to help you if you're too lazy and don't want to read.

Good luck. Someone might help you but if reading is too much to ask then that's on you.

So you don't have to waste time reading that long paragraph I just wrote, it all boils down to :

You have better things to do than read and find a solution to YOUR problem and I have better things to do than repeat the same thing over and over when it's already written here. Good luck.
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-11 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

AGAIN, DO NOT RESTORE YOUR IPHONE IF YOU HAVE IMPORTANT DATA TO LOSE!

I developed a solution to this problem which FIXES your phone returning it to it's state just before the Rock/Cydia Update. I appreciate the amount of effort from so many to guide people during a restore process, but a lot of the people experiencing the problem perfectly outlined in the OP do NOT want to restore and lose pictures, videos, settings, etc.

Even those of you who have a backup, you would have to start over, restore, load up your apps all over again, either from Rock (using a save) or Cydia, resync, setup your mail, and on and on.

I'm trying to spare you that grief and you can get your phone working just as it was before this fiasco started without going through a restore, or worse, a complete loss of your media.

Again, go here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/710...pple-logo.html

It's MAC based at the moment, and i'm trying to put something together for Windows users. I just need more time.

Thanks,

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 10:01 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iBeej For This Useful Post:

kaups (2010-05-15)

Quote Originally Posted by iBeej View Post
    AGAIN, DO NOT RESTORE YOUR IPHONE IF YOU HAVE IMPORTANT DATA TO LOSE!

I developed a solution to this problem which FIXES your phone returning it to it's state just before the Rock/Cydia Update. I appreciate the amount of effort from so many to guide people during a restore process, but a lot of the people experiencing the problem perfectly outlined in the OP do NOT want to restore and lose pictures, videos, settings, etc.

Even those of you who have a backup, you would have to start over, restore, load up your apps all over again, either from Rock (using a save) or Cydia, resync, setup your mail, and on and on.

I'm trying to spare you that grief and you can get your phone working just as it was before this fiasco started without going through a restore, or worse, a complete loss of your media.

Again, go here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/710...pple-logo.html

It's MAC based at the moment, and i'm trying to put something together for Windows users. I just need more time.

Thanks,

BEEJ
    Windows! go go go. lol.

Anyways, you are doin stellar work.

@beeJ

I dnt know if u d pull off this one...

But i d surely wait for ur try as i cant afford to lose any data from my device...

I will be waiting for the first success posts ..
    We are actually praying that ur thing works...

My phone was having the same problem... my husband fixed it and posted a fix on his website for everyone else if they want... go to SpaceSpark Studios | Know Your Universe. He explains how he figured it out and what was wrong with my phone. I didn't lose any of my data and it now boots past the apple logo. I just know how important the data on a phone is and how upset I was when I thought I was going to have to restore it and lose all the pictures of my kids. So we decided it was important to share the fix for others who are having the same problem.

For the record, it was after I updated my phone with Rockapp, the night of May 6th it just freaked out and shut off after showing the apple logo for about 7-8 seconds.

And iBeej is my husband, but I didn't realize he posted on this forum to tell people about his fix, I just knew he posted it somewhere... So as I said, the fix is posted at SpaceSpark Studios | Know Your Universe.. Sorry I was redundant and posted it twice.
    Last edited by CarlieQ25; 2010-05-11 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The only solution I found was restoring it. I had the same problem, it turned off by its own like 5 secs after I turned it on.
    You need to access the DFU mode.
    Connect the devise to your computer, then press the on/off button AND the home button at the same time. Whenever you see the Apple logo release the on/off button, but keep pressing the home button until your computer recognize the Iphone. That worked for me!
    Then you need to restore your phone.
    Hope this helps!

The only solution I found was restoring it. I had the same problem, it turned off by its own like 5 secs after I turned it on.
    You need to access the DFU mode.
    Connect the devise to your computer, then press the on/off button AND the home button at the same time. Whenever you see the Apple logo release the on/off button, but keep pressing the home button until your computer recognize the Iphone. That worked for me!
    Then you need to restore your phone.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Jaimesma; 2010-05-12 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dont restore! Follow iBeej's fix!

Yea, mine started this afternoon. I was got a text and when i went to see who it was from, it was ging into safe mode. It was saying that the QuickReply was having issues and it wanted me to disable the extensions from Rock. So i did and it turned off by itself. Now, when i go to try and turn it on, it shows the apple logo for about 10 to 15 seconds then it shuts off. Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by starfuryt550 View Post
    um I woke up this morning and this exact thing is happening to mine.

I did the updates on rock but that was a couple days ago.

Im not sure wtf to do because the phone shuts off in literally 3 sec so i cannot recover.

(running 3.1.2 on 32gb 3gs and been jailbroken for many months like everyone this happened to out of the blue)
    Mine, is the same way it only happened this afternoon and it wont let me even get into iTunes to restore it
    Last edited by freelandj3rd; 2010-05-12 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Really guys, don't restore your phones. Follow iBeej's fix. It will fix the problem without losing ANY data. He has worked really hard on this because my phone did this and I didn't want to lose the pictures of my kids. Find his post in this thread and it will direct you to his thread with the fix.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast