Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs won't boot past apple logo and turns off by itself

Quote Originally Posted by nilbus View Post
    I got this reply from rock. Apparently it was due to 3rd party updates, not the rock update itself.

----

I apologize for the inconvenience. There were several community updates
    in the last few days due to the iPad and new Jailbreak release. These
    were not produced by Rock but can be installed from within Rock. It
    looks like
    one of these may have caused your issue. One of the updates which we
    have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing
    with new ones. If anything goes wrong with this process then you are
    left with a phone that won't reboot.

Basically we are aware of 2 options... You may be able to use redsn0w
    and recover your phone without a restore (Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod Guides | ModMyi.com ).
    If that does not work then the below info will help you with the
    restore.

If it won't boot then you likely need to restore it in iTunes. To do so
    you will need to hold down the power and home buttons on the phone until
    it goes into Restore mode (the plug into iTunes logo). Then you will be
    able to restore your phone. If it won't go into restore mode make sure
    it has a charge. Also it could take up to a minute of holding down the
    buttons.

Once you have restored your phone you can use the new jailbreak released
    today called Spirit to jailbreak your phone. You can find more
    information at Get Rocking .

NOTE: With the device plugged in to your computer and with iTunes open
    you will need to hold down the power and home button until the iTunes
    logo shows up.

ALSO NOTE: The following information is only for users who unlock their
    device for use on a "Non-Standard Carrier" if you don't do this or don't
    know what this means, then you can ignore it."

If your device was relying on a baseband unlock (blacksn0w, ultrasn0w,
    yellowsn0w etc...) and you have a 3G or 3GS then be sure to restore to
    3.1.2 or earlier and do not update to 3.1.3 as there is no unlock at
    this time for the latest baseband. Here are some articles on restoring
    to 3.1.2 for Windows and for Mac.

http://modmyi.com/guides/restore-iph...shs-file-cydia
    -windows/
    -os-x/

Thanks,

Tom Cross

Those links at the bottom aren't working. It says PAGE NOT FOUND.

Quote Originally Posted by juniahisjra View Post
    it messed up my iphone 3g 3.1.2 AHHHHHHHH!!!
    Have you been reading this thread? A little too late, that's what we're trying to fix now, the stupid "ROCK VIRUS" as it's being called now.
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-07 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Aerocare... srry n thnx im new n just pissed, but thnx ima try to fix it

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No mo rock here!!

No problem we're all in the same frustrating boat. I've been at this since last night, went to bed around 2 am and have been up searching everywhere since 7:30 am and still nothing. I can tell you everything that doesn't work but haven't found anything that works yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Will a uninstall of rock and the rock apps suffice to rid the phone of this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by H2SUT View Post
    No dice... Nothing recognizes the iPhone as a the right device. It loads different drivers in Windows for Recovery Mode and DFU mode.

Has anyone seen this thread?

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ract-data.html

Looks like someone may have had the right idea here. Does anyone know how we can use these details to try and correct our problem?
    Last edited by devonian69; 2010-05-07 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by nilbus View Post
    I got this reply from rock. Apparently it was due to 3rd party updates, not the rock update itself.

----

I apologize for the inconvenience. There were several community updates
    in the last few days due to the iPad and new Jailbreak release. These
    were not produced by Rock but can be installed from within Rock. It
    looks like
    one of these may have caused your issue. One of the updates which we
    have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing
    with new ones. If anything goes wrong with this process then you are
    left with a phone that won't reboot.

Basically we are aware of 2 options... You may be able to use redsn0w
    and recover your phone without a restore (Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod Guides | ModMyi.com ).
    If that does not work then the below info will help you with the
    restore.

If it won't boot then you likely need to restore it in iTunes. To do so
    you will need to hold down the power and home buttons on the phone until
    it goes into Restore mode (the plug into iTunes logo). Then you will be
    able to restore your phone. If it won't go into restore mode make sure
    it has a charge. Also it could take up to a minute of holding down the
    buttons.

Once you have restored your phone you can use the new jailbreak released
    today called Spirit to jailbreak your phone. You can find more
    information at Get Rocking .

NOTE: With the device plugged in to your computer and with iTunes open
    you will need to hold down the power and home button until the iTunes
    logo shows up.

ALSO NOTE: The following information is only for users who unlock their
    device for use on a "Non-Standard Carrier" if you don't do this or don't
    know what this means, then you can ignore it."

If your device was relying on a baseband unlock (blacksn0w, ultrasn0w,
    yellowsn0w etc...) and you have a 3G or 3GS then be sure to restore to
    3.1.2 or earlier and do not update to 3.1.3 as there is no unlock at
    this time for the latest baseband. Here are some articles on restoring
    to 3.1.2 for Windows and for Mac.

-windows/
    -os-x/

Thanks,

Tom Cross
    This is word for word the response i got back, they were very quick to respond to me until i responded with the below,

I have looked into your suggestion of redsn0w but its not going to help anyone in this situation,
    I need to get my iphone to boot in the current state as i need to recover important files.
    Since the below reply basically admits you know its a fault, "One of the updates which we have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing
    with new ones
    "
    It would be great if you could call on anyone you can to find a solution for us.
    No doubt you will hear from many more in this situation.
    Look forward to hearing any findings or suggestions you have.

Haven't heard a thing since,( I was in an email conversation with support at the time) as soon as i pointed out the fobbing off with "use Redsn0w" wasn't any use, Nothing!

Thanks Rock, great support!

You have to get it to turn on first. I just ran redsn0w again and it ran ok but it still only starts for 5 seconds then shuts down again so redsn0w is not the answer.

ME TOO! But I have an 8gb 3g. I attempted to restore (UGH bc stuff wasnt backed up--my own fault!), but it updated me to 3.1.3. I used spirit to jailbreak, which worked. I used Cydia to install some of my fav JB apps...But half of them aren't working (3Gs battery percentage, certain sliders, etc). It also made the font all really weird. So, I messed with it some more. I plugged it in and randomly ran blackra1n (which i had used before and loved it..). It downgraded it to 3.1.2--but no carrier signal So, i am not attmepting to hold down the option button (mac) and click restore and chose firmware 3.1.2 that i downloaded online. I did not have SSH backup or whatever...didnt even know about it til yesterday. Phone is restoring now, I am praying it gives me my 3.1.2 back WITH my ATT signal so that i can use blackra1n!!!!

well...that didnt work :-/ I am back to square one...with my phone in recovery mode.
    Last edited by amykat321; 2010-05-07 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm all out of options right now. This is what I would do if I had a MAC computer:

Since I'm on 3.0.1 with old bootrom I'd get Pwnage tool 3.1.5 and create a 3.1.2 ipsw then upgrade to 3.1.2 and I SHOULD end up with a new jailbroken phone on 3.1.2 . Since this replaces all previous files on the phone anyway, I'd automatically get rid of the ROCK VIRUS and I'd have all the files I normally would need for my phone to work. If anyone can test this let us know.

...get rid of the ROCK VIRUS...
    LOL!

But, in all seriousness, I need to grab files off the phone before I do a restore!! Is it possible to access the media partition when the phone is in Recovery mode (from either mac or windows)? I'll be able to do a restore with Pwnage once I get the files off, but I'm currently dead in the water until I get access to my files! One thing is certain... when I get this back up and running, there is ZERO chance that Rock will be on my phone again. Been playing with jailbroken iPhones since the original iphone came out, and I've never seen anything this bad before.

That's why I've been calling it the ROCK VIRUS since last night. If they know it was through their system that it happened there HAS to be a way for them to contact the program guru who did it and have them come up with a way to fix it! They're going to lose a lot of customers with this fiasco and the bad publicity it's generating.

I really don't have a clue as to what you can use to get your info off the phone but did you have a backup from before you got the virus? If so then your backup should have all of your files on your computer and once you restore you can choose to backup from previous backup and get all your info back. Just make a copy of your backup before you restore in case it does a sync and backs up on top of your info!

I agree. if Rock caused this problem, then Rock should create a fix. Restoring is not an option. I believe we should stopping using Rock until they get this corrected.......

YES, a ROCK Protest !!!!!!!!!!!

I say, everyone please remove Rock from your phone and don't put it back on until they correct this problem!!!!

i got the restore screen, ran blackra1n, loaded for a couple sec, then shuts off again. Attempting to to a firmware reinstall now.

To all those asking...you cannot take files off the phone if it doesnt stay on or isnt recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by fergusonwilliam View Post
    I say, everyone please remove Rock from your phone and don't put it back on until they correct this problem!!!!
    I agree, this is total BS and pissing me off. I understand why apple is very meticulous about updates and doesnt let anything slide when new updates come out....or everyone's phone could be/will be bricked. AWESOME.
    Last edited by starfuryt550; 2010-05-08 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm ******* pissed . I had to get a new iphone!!!!

same issue as you described - but I had never hard turned off my phone after the update until yesterday - that's when I found I could not turn it on again. I wonder how many people out there are sitting with this time bomb in their system??

Tried everything - best I could do was get into DFU mode, but could not get iTunes to restore it to 3.1.2 (in order to preserve the baseband unlock). In desperation I tried to use pwnage tool to try to push a custom ipsw - that was a big mistake it seems - the screen went blank and that was the last thing that my iphone did. Could not get anything after that - no logo, no dfu mode, nothing.
    I took it to the apple store and they just handed me a new one - thank god I was still under warranty.
    In short - as far as I can see, the best thing you can do is restore your phone to official 3.1.3 - don't **** around unless someone has a good tested solution.

**** ROCK - I'm never installing that piece of **** again.
    what a cluster **** situation

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
    I'm ******* pissed . I had to get a new iphone!!!!

same issue as you described - but I had never hard turned off my phone after the update until yesterday - that's when I found I could not turn it on again. I wonder how many people out there are sitting with this time bomb in their system??

Tried everything - best I could do was get into DFU mode, but could not get iTunes to restore it to 3.1.2 (in order to preserve the baseband unlock). In desperation I tried to use pwnage tool to try to push a custom ipsw - that was a big mistake it seems - the screen went blank and that was the last thing that my iphone did. Could not get anything after that - no logo, no dfu mode, nothing.
    I took it to the apple store and they just handed me a new one - thank god I was still under warranty.
    In short - as far as I can see, the best thing you can do is restore your phone to official 3.1.3 - don't **** around unless someone has a good tested solution.

**** ROCK - I'm never installing that piece of **** again.
    what a cluster **** situation
    This is your first post on this forum but you seem to be very knowledgable on this. What other forums do you participate in?

Everybody go to ROCK's Facebook page and let's write comments on it about how mad we are with his ROCK VIRUS !! His page is here :

Rock Your Phone, Inc | Facebook
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-08 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Im not under warranty so if i have to get a new iphone its all $ out of pocket. Worst time ever since the new one comes out soon.

quickpwn will NOT work on win7 or xp pro. wtf

Now ROCK is blaming Cydia !!! I got this from Rock's Facebook page :

Rock Your Phone, Inc it wasn't the Rock App update, it was an update to system-cmds by Saurik that crashed some of the phones. We've taken action to prevent this from being installed on our customers' phones because of these problems.

Wednesday at 7:27pm Flag.Ali Fareed I'm just about done "Restoring" my device after it suddenly died from the Update...! I was using another iDevice simultaneous & was running Cydia alone & everything was fine... Definitely Rock related!! I love my rock but I think now I'll just keep it for the necessities...

Wednesday at 7:38pm Flag.Glenn MacDonald Jr. Check the forums at modmyi-- hard to doubt it wasn't rock again crashing phones.

Wednesday at 8:55pm Flag.Rock Your Phone, Inc yeah -- as soon as we identified it, we fixed it. The issue was not with an update that we provided but an update by saurik. It failed installation on Rock only -- and as soon as we became aware, we removed that update.
    Wednesday at 9:32pm Flag

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast