Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs won't boot past apple logo and turns off by itself

i tried the "push the power button then both home and power buttons" somebody said wouldnt work and it did. i got into recovery mode. restoring now.

When you got it into Recovery mode and connected to iTunes, what did it do next?

Did it make a backup/sync first then proceed with the software update? Or is it going to wipe the phone and then restore what you had in your last sync whenever you last did it.

It happened to me this morning also. Im working on restoring my phone now but it hates my Tmobile SIM and sn0wbreeze firmware file keeps generating errors when installing via itunes...... ima try and use the 3.1.2 ipsw.

Just an update for this issue, (Im stuck in boot loop after a Rock app upgrade yesterday, phone went flat and wouldnt re-boot)I need the unlock and info that wasnt backed up. Hence cant go to Itunes restore, I have now tried everything I can find on the web to get the phone to boot (6 hours and counting) this includes IRecovery, IREB even tried various Iphoneexplorers but nothing has worked.
    Rockyouphone replied worrying quickly with
    "
    I apologize for the inconvenience. There were several community updates in the last few days due to the iPad and new Jailbreak release. These were not produced by Rock but can be installed from within Rock. It looks like one of these may have caused your issue. One of the updates which we have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing with new ones. If anything goes wrong with this process then you are left with a phone that won't reboot."

Unfortuatly I'm now left waiting to see if somebody out there can come up with a solution to get these phones to boot!! HELP

I too updated my Rock yesterday.

Today my phone turned itself off while I was listening to some music in the car.

I can't get it to reboot. It shows the apple boot logo for about 12-15 seconds then turn itself off.

After reading here to find so many others in the same situation today I have to assume that Rock hosed us all.

My iphone is in recovery mode now, I'm not looking forward to the long process of restoring all my settings & apps....

(Google is your friend, use search term: "how do I get my iphone into recovery mode")

Thanks for nothing Rock!

(I have a 16GB 3G w/ 3.1.2 firmware)
    Last edited by grauchy; 2010-05-07 at 06:08 PM.

Im getting a can't install 3.1.2 via iTunes cause it says it doesnt want to downgrade my 3G. This is seriously a wide spread issue, I think its Apple's way of boosting sells by killing our phones

Quote Originally Posted by funkwerk View Post
    Just an update for this issue, (Im stuck in boot loop after a Rock app upgrade yesterday, phone went flat and wouldnt re-boot)I need the unlock and info that wasnt backed up. Hence cant go to Itunes restore, I have now tried everything I can find on the web to get the phone to boot (6 hours and counting) this includes IRecovery, IREB even tried various Iphoneexplorers but nothing has worked.
    Rockyouphone replied worrying quickly with

Unfortuatly I'm now left waiting to see if somebody out there can come up with a solution to get these phones to boot!! HELP
    I have done the same things. I tried iRecovery, DiskAid, WinSCP, QuickPWN, Blackra1n, etc. I finally got my iPhone 3GS to get recognized in iRecovery. None of the other applications would recognize the phone. I just don't know that iRecovery can put those files back onto the phone. If we could do that, we could probably get it to boot enough to copy our stuff off.

I too am wits end. My daughter's first laugh, roll over, etc (technically seconds since I was watching the first time ) are stored on my iPhone and not backed up.

I don't care about recovering the phone itself, just those files.

Lets hope someone REALLY REALLY smart is in a similar situation (absolutely needing files off of their iPhone) and will try and get it to work.

I found two other things to try. AVCware and iFunBox. I cant install at work but maybe you can try. If it does I'll split the $$ with you. I need my files!!

Quote Originally Posted by devonian69 View Post
    I have done the same things. I tried iRecovery, DiskAid, WinSCP, QuickPWN, Blackra1n, etc. I finally got my iPhone 3GS to get recognized in iRecovery. None of the other applications would recognize the phone. I just don't know that iRecovery can put those files back onto the phone. If we could do that, we could probably get it to boot enough to copy our stuff off.

I too am wits end. My daughter's first laugh, roll over, etc (technically seconds since I was watching the first time ) are stored on my iPhone and not backed up.

I don't care about recovering the phone itself, just those files.

Lets hope someone REALLY REALLY smart is in a similar situation (absolutely needing files off of their iPhone) and will try and get it to work.
    Just out of interest when you say IRecovery recognized the phone did it then fail to help after terminal commands below were entered?

setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    fsboot

Mine did everything right but then after the fsboot command and and a manual reboot i was back at square one!!! I tried the Reboot command instead of fsboot which does the obvious but then it falls back into boot loop, apple logo then off! Gutted!

Quote Originally Posted by grauchy View Post
    My iphone is in recovery mode now
    I'm in recovery mode but iTunes doesn't see it. Help!

I updated some ROCK programs and first it lost service then when I shut the iPhone off then tried to turn it on it shows the apple for about 10 seconds then shuts down again.

I put it in recovery mode by pressing on/off and home at the same time. It shows the iTunes and the cable on the phone but when I look in iTunes the only options it gives me when I right click is either OPEN IN NEW WINDOW or EJECT. I have no option but to restore and it's telling me it's goin to restore to 3.1.3. If I weren't on T-Mobile I wouldn't worry but I need the unlock.

C'mon ROCK, let's start calling all your people and get this fixed quick!

Anybody have a MAC and can get this fixed by using pwnage tool to restore it to another version? I have 3.0.1 and Windows 7 so if I get a MAC laptop could I use pwnage tool to update to 3.1.2 with the custom ipsw then JB with redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w and take care of the problem?
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-07 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by funkwerk View Post
    Just out of interest when you say IRecovery recognized the phone did it then fail to help after terminal commands below were entered?

setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    fsboot

Mine did everything right but then after the fsboot command and and a manual reboot i was back at square one!!! I tried the Reboot command instead of fsboot which does the obvious but then it falls back into boot loop, apple logo then off! Gutted!
    Thats all I was able to do as well. I was hoping to be able to access some of the core files to see if it would be possible to replace them with ones that work. Only thing that worked for sure was 'reboot'...

Quote Originally Posted by H2SUT View Post
    I found two other things to try. AVCware and iFunBox. I cant install at work but maybe you can try. If it does I'll split the $$ with you. I need my files!!
    AVCWare looks like something for making ringtones or something. iFunBox doesn't recognize the phone in DFU or Recovery Mode...
    Last edited by devonian69; 2010-05-07 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok I have a question... It seems that some ROCK app update deleted some files from the partition that contains the OS part of the iphone. The media partition contains all the pics, music, and (hopefully) the contacts, right? What tool (if any) will restore the OS partiion of the phone but will leave the media partition alone, provided the phone will go into either restore or DFU mode?

[QUOTE=devonian69;5232754]Thats all I was able to do as well. I was hoping to be able to access some of the core files to see if it would be possible to replace them with ones that work. Only thing that worked for sure was 'reboot'...

Looks like we are stuffed then!
    I cant find anything else to try, could everybody in this postion start pestering Rockmyphone, i have been on to them three times already they basically admitted its their fault ( see my previous post) then they tried to fob me off with using Redsn0w!? which is of no help to people in this positon.

Anyone out there know what to do??

I'm going to try to run redsn0w on it again. We'll see what happens. I'm trying to do this first from SAURIK's website but can't seem to be able to save the HOST file after I add that line :

To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.

All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.

So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.

I've opened it with wordpad and with WORD and it tells me I don't have administrator privileges. I also changed it and unclicked READ ONLY in the properties. I'm trying everything here, what am I doing wrong regarding modifying this file?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Freaking rock! I finally give them another shot since an article came out last week saying they have fixed all of their issues. Wouldnt u know it as soon as i put it on my phone, they go to crap again. Nice....,

I got this reply from rock. Apparently it was due to 3rd party updates, not the rock update itself.

----

I apologize for the inconvenience. There were several community updates
    in the last few days due to the iPad and new Jailbreak release. These
    were not produced by Rock but can be installed from within Rock. It
    looks like
    one of these may have caused your issue. One of the updates which we
    have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing
    with new ones. If anything goes wrong with this process then you are
    left with a phone that won't reboot.

Basically we are aware of 2 options... You may be able to use redsn0w
    and recover your phone without a restore (Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod Guides | ModMyi.com ).
    If that does not work then the below info will help you with the
    restore.

If it won't boot then you likely need to restore it in iTunes. To do so
    you will need to hold down the power and home buttons on the phone until
    it goes into Restore mode (the plug into iTunes logo). Then you will be
    able to restore your phone. If it won't go into restore mode make sure
    it has a charge. Also it could take up to a minute of holding down the
    buttons.

Once you have restored your phone you can use the new jailbreak released
    today called Spirit to jailbreak your phone. You can find more
    information at Get Rocking .

NOTE: With the device plugged in to your computer and with iTunes open
    you will need to hold down the power and home button until the iTunes
    logo shows up.

ALSO NOTE: The following information is only for users who unlock their
    device for use on a "Non-Standard Carrier" if you don't do this or don't
    know what this means, then you can ignore it."

If your device was relying on a baseband unlock (blacksn0w, ultrasn0w,
    yellowsn0w etc...) and you have a 3G or 3GS then be sure to restore to
    3.1.2 or earlier and do not update to 3.1.3 as there is no unlock at
    this time for the latest baseband. Here are some articles on restoring
    to 3.1.2 for Windows and for Mac.

http://modmyi.com/guides/restore-iph...shs-file-cydia
    -windows/
    http://modmyi.com/guides/restore-iph...shs-file-cydia
    -os-x/

Thanks,

Tom Cross

OK I finally got the HOSTS file updated, got the iPhone into DFU mode (previously had it in Recovery mode not DFU like it's supposed to be for this) but iTunes still tells me "the device isn't eligible for the requested build". Am I not connecting to Saurik's server yet? The ipsw file I'm using is the one downloaded from iClarified so maybe it's not good for my phone?

Default Dont update rock!!!!!!!!!
    it messed up my iphone 3g 3.1.2 AHHHHHHHH!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast