Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock upgrade froze my iPhone

Default Rock upgrade froze my iPhone
    Hope someone can help. I have a 3G jailbroken and unlocked phone. Following an upgrade to Rock my phone is stuck and shutting off at the Apple logo. I have no saved info at the Cydia site. I need the unlock to use this Rogers phone on my Bell network. Do I have any hope of using this phone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Did you try turning it off?

I think press power button and square button till it shuts off, though i am not an expert....

I should clarify that I can get it to go into Restore mode and iTunes will recognize it. I knpow I can no longer have Apple do a 3.1.2 restore and if I let it do the 3.1.3 restore I believe I can no longer use it as an unlocked AND jailbroken phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadacamp View Post
    I should clarify that I can get it to go into Restore mode and iTunes will recognize it. I knpow I can no longer have Apple do a 3.1.2 restore and if I let it do the 3.1.3 restore I believe I can no longer use it as an unlocked AND jailbroken phone.
    You can restore to 3.1.2 just fine. The firmware signing is only for 3GS phones and the new ipts.

Download the 3.1.2 firmware, put the phone in DFU mode and then shift-restore in iTunes, pointing to the downloaded firmware.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-06)

Thanks dhamien. Will this restore still leave me with an unlocked phone? It was unlocked to allow me to use a Rogers locked phone on the Bell network in Canada. And how much of my old data like apps and Notes, etc. be saved? Sorry to seem so unsure but I have real fears of putting this phone into a state of unusability!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks dhamien. Will this restore still leave me with an unlocked phone? It was unlocked to allow me to use a Rogers locked phone on the Bell network in Canada. And how much of my old data like apps and Notes, etc. be saved? Sorry to seem so unsure but I have real fears of putting this phone into a state of unusability!
    Restoring the phone will wipe it so you'll lose anything you have saved on it. It's unlockable as long as you avoid version 3.1.3 and stick to 3.1.2 or lower.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-06)

oh, and I googled a firmware source on this site - is one as good as another?

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

oh, and I googled a firmware source on this site - is one as good as another?

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    Yes, that's a good one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-06)

Again, thanks dhamien for this. You say I can "still unlock" it - will I need to do that again? And any recommendations which software to use, or perhaps a web site for trusted advice? I jailbroke it with blackra1n but I can't remember what I used for the unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Again, thanks dhamien for this. You say I can "still unlock" it - will I need to do that again? And any recommendations which software to use, or perhaps a web site for trusted advice? I jailbroke it with blackra1n but I can't remember what I used for the unlock.
    I prefer the dev team's tools, so I'd suggest using redsn0w 0.9.2. You can find it on www.redsn0w.com - just checked this, apparently it's not up. Don't know why. I think you can find a link to redsn0w on these forums.

For unlocking, you should use blacksn0w, but the RC2 version. To get that, in Cydia > Manage > Sources > Edit > Add - add the repo http://cydia.pushfix.info/ - then search for and install 'blacksn0w RC2 Final'.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-05-06 at 10:19 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-06)

So I just read bit about redsn0w. I found this interesting:

"redsn0w doesn't require a system restore like PwnageTool does (it doesn't even use iTunes at all). On the other hand, PwnageTool can prevent your baseband from being upgraded when you upgrade your firmware, preserving your unlock. (redsn0w doesn't touch your baseband but it doesn't help preserve it during an upgrade either).

redsn0w works by modifying your current filesystem, so your existing baseband, data and applications should remain intact. "

Does this mean I don't need to run the firmware update? Can redsn0w access the iphone in the state mine is in (i.e. only able to be put into Restore mode)? Or do I run the firmware restore and THEN run redsn0w , and THEN blacksn0w?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As you're stuck in a boot loop, you can't run any tool to fix it. You need to restore. After restore, jailbreak with redsn0w, then unlock with blacksn0w.

You might want to stay away from Rock as that's what caused the phone failure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-06)

Thanks. Do I do all this work on my iphone with the SIM card in or out, or does it matter?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks. Do I do all this work on my iphone with the SIM card in or out, or does it matter?
    Have it inserted. I'm not sure if it matters, but I know having it in won't cause problems.

First attempt at restoring gave me an alert window saying that "the iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible". I'm using iTunes version 9.1.1 (12) and was using firmware :

iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

Any ideas?

Oops! Just found another site and that looks like the 2G version I tried. I'll try what I think is the 3G now.
    Last edited by dadacamp; 2010-05-06 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

First attempt at restoring gave me an alert window saying that "the iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible". I'm using iTunes version 9.1.1 (12) and was using firmware :

iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

Any ideas?

Oops! Just found another site and that looks like the 2G version I tried. I'll try what I think is the 3G now.
    As you saw, it's the wrong firmware. The one you're looking for should have a 1,2 part in it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

dadacamp (2010-05-07)

All going well so far - just rebooted with the right SIM card. Now , when I reconnect to my iPhone I get a window called Set Up Your iPhone that says it recognizes my phone as having been synced to my computer. It has the same name and gives me the choice of

1) Setting it up as a new phone
    or
    2)Restore from the backup of . . . and then lists my original phone name.

CAN I SYNC AS MY OLD PHONE NOW? Am I correct in assuming that this will NOT Restore my phone but simply sync and put back my old apps and contacts, etc?

Thanks.

I had the same problem doing an update from Rock with my phone. It appears the problem is that the update will fail unless it is done over a wi-fi connection. If you try it on 3G...boom! I had to restore my 3GS. YMMV.

All going well so far - just rebooted with the right SIM card. Now , when I reconnect to my iPhone I get a window called Set Up Your iPhone that says it recognizes my phone as having been synced to my computer. It has the same name and gives me the choice of

1) Setting it up as a new phone
    or
    2)Restore from the backup of . . . and then lists my original phone name.

CAN I SYNC AS MY OLD PHONE NOW? Am I correct in assuming that this will NOT Restore my phone but simply sync and put back my old apps and contacts, etc?

Thanks.
    Yes, restore it using the same name as you had before to get all of your information back...contacts, music etc.
    Last edited by chazglenn3; 2010-05-07 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i had the same thing..3g, fw. 3.1.2 BB 05.11.07, (now that is) i did have 3.1.2 but after going threw hell and back i am starting to think"wasnt there something about using the firmware ipsw 3.0... to upgrade to 3.1.2 without losing the unlock... couse I restored with pwange tool.. firmware 3.1.2 all looked the same but no service (and a new language...)

I am not sure how to go about the unlock, any idea's? ultrasn0w, blacksn0w??

For everyone out there who lost data in the whole Rock debacle:

I'm not sure if Rock is doing anything to help those of us who have data stuck on our new bricks, but it sure as hell looks like they aren't so it might be worth giving after-restore data recovery a shot...

The thread at http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/2...ecovery-7.html has more information (look for army113's guide on the 7th page), and looks promising... I haven't tried it yet myself and it looks like a bit of a hassle to set up, but at least it's better than writing all that data off for good.

People have reported success with data recovery up to weeks after the restore, so even if it's already been some time since you did your restore it might still be worth a try.

Best of luck to everyone who got boned in this giant mess - hope you manage to recover at least some of your data!