Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3g 3.1.2 will not boot up, PLEASE HELP !!!

Default iphone 3g 3.1.2 will not boot up, PLEASE HELP !!!
    not sure what happened, i have a 3g running 3.1.2,
    i started cydia, it wanted to do some essential updates, i tried to do them, it was having issues installing them and wouldnt, i forgot about this, let a day or do go by, decided to restart my phone like i normally do (turn off/turn back on) now it will not get past the apple logo, it shows for about 9 seconds then shuts off, please help, i need this phone to work ASAP, thanks in advance guys

I had the exact same problem a few days ago. But it happened after I installed winterboard. After it was installed it said 'reboot device'. But cydia crashed when I pushed that button, and didn`t reboot correctly. After I did it manually I was stuck at the apple logo during boot which disapeared after several seconds, and kept looping.

The only fix which worked was putting my phone in DFU mode and restore it through iTunes..

how to dfu mode?
    does restore in itunes wipe my phone?
    i am jb'd and unlocked to use on tmobile does this matter with the restore?

thanks for the help

Thanks

yes the restore will wipe the phone...use shift+restore instead of restore in iTunes to restore to 3.1.2 because if you update to 3.1.3 it will update your baseband to 05.12.01 which can not be unlocked

all is good had to use irib to get past the errors but shift custom restore worked & itunes backup put all contacts 7 photos and texts back on phone

I am having the same problem, and ofcorse it is jacked while i am at work and need it working. Laptop is at home so looks like i am S.O.L. at least until i get home. I hate having to restore and reinstall/reconfigure all my JB apps and settings. I think i am done with the JB for a while until someone can figure out a way to truly backup and restore a jailbroken iphone. Only reason i am JB is for the multitasking so in a few weeks when the new iphone is released i am probably not going to jb anymore. Not worth the added headaches, or i may just switch to something with android on it

You need to do iBeej's fix. He developed a solution for this exact problem without having to restore your phone or lose any data. He has a big forum thread on this site about it, or you can go to www.spacesparkstudios.com.I promise it works. He didn't want me to lose the pics of our kids on my phone so he worked really hard to come up with the solution. My phone works great now, I didn't lose any data, AND we didn't run the restore.