Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Does Apple Detect If You've Previously Jailbroken A Restored iPhone?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default How Does Apple Detect If You've Previously Jailbroken A Restored iPhone?
    I've read several supposedly legitimate posts on other forums by Apple reps that Apple has the ability to detect if an iPhone has been jailbroken, even if you restore it to the original factory condition. Since they were vague, with a reference to either the memory or the hard drive on the iPhone having been modified, it makes me wonder if Apple plants a file or leaves a log file unmodified (perhaps on iTunes) during restore that somehow keeps track of jailbreaking? I'm not trying to be paranoid, but curious as the rumors circulating sound like another classic Apple ploy meant to deter jailbreaking, or at the very least the rumors are conditional (that could be obviated with a bit of caution). What could they possibly detect in the iPhone memory/hard drive that could lead them to believe that the iPhone had been previously jailbroken? What kind of tools could they employ? I'm not familiar enough with the rudiments of jailbreaking or the iPhone itself to be confident whether this assertion is the true or not, but it certainly sounds questionable, given that using a DFU with Erase all settings, and not restoring from a backup should eliminate that possibility.

Too much 'I heard' or 'An Apple rep said' or (Apple employee) 'I was told by Steve/God himself via a company wide email or saw a demo/miracle' and not enough of 'This is how it works, and why this is/isn't true'.

Any thoughts?

Last week I had my phone replaced at the Apple store due to a faulty 3G radio.

Phone was previously JB for a year. I restored as new and took it in. No questions asked.

I think you heard a bunch of propaganda released from Apple to scare you away from JB'ing.

What you heard is correct actually.

IF...IF...they want to dig around then yes, you can tell that a phone has been jailbroken...but the chances of them actually looking are slim to none.

The could just as easily see if you have any shsh save on cydia.

Who cares apple, its my device i paid for it i can do what i want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by theguyz View Post

They can void the warranty just as easy as if you buy a new car and tamper with the engine, the dealership will void the warranty. I really dont know why people get angry about this, its common sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    What you heard is correct actually.

IF...IF...they want to dig around then yes, you can tell that a phone has been jailbroken...but the chances of them actually looking are slim to none.
    +1 but the average apple genius is not going to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by theguyz View Post

You can easily save the SHSHs without being jailbroken ever; they'd be opening up a can of worms for denying warranty on that basis.

Thanks

I was browing around my Apple folder in AppData folder and noticed some Cydia crashlogs there. If those would make it to Apple...

My replacement 3GS came with SHSH on file.

Does this void the 90 day warranty they gave me

So I've been jb since 3.0.1 with my 3gs 32gb. I just updated to 3.1.3 from 3.1.2 so I can take it to the genius bar for repair. I thought that all my jailbreak info/apps would be gone but I think some remain. There are no icons but I had an app from cydia thr gave me groups in my contacts and the groups still remain. Also, I can move icons off my dock, it's been a while but isn't that not allowed on stock os?