Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 blobs, blkrn to Spirit....How?

Exclamation 3GS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 blobs, blkrn to Spirit....How?
    Hi, I'm sorry to ask this but there are probably others in the same boat as me.

3GS 3.1.2
    iTunes 9.0.x
    Tethered JB w/blackra1n
    Blobs backed up on Cydia and locally: 3.1.3 (I was too late for 3.1.2).
    All Cydia and Rock apps are backed up.

I jailbroke my phone 2 weeks ago, bought a bunch of cydia and rock apps and tweaked my settings and all of that to the point that my phone is exactly how I want it (except that the battery drains too fast), but I want an untethered jb.

What do I need to do to go from blackra1n to spirit with the least amount of collateral damage to all of the tweaks and new apps I downloaded, and how fast do I need to do it before Apple blocks it from happening?

1) Do I have to restore my phone to its former jailed self and upgrade to 3.1.3 fw first? Or, do I just need to let the phone go into restore mode and then run Spirit? The instructions for spirit are not clear to me.

2) How much time to I have to think about this and try it before Apple blocks the ability for me to do it and I'm stuck with a tethered 3.1.2 jb until Geohot gets off his but and sends out his next release?

3) If I have my blobs from 3.1.3 I should always be able to restore to that firmware and then restore from an iTunes backup, then go chase down my cydia/rock apps and completely retweak my phone again, correct?

Not being able to turn my phone off is an issue but bricking it and having to buy a new one is a bigger issue.

If there are step-by-step instructions for this somewhere, please point me to them.

Thank you very much,

Digger

Default Exactly what I need too
    Digger, thanks for laying out the specifics. I'm in the exact same boat and reluctant to proceed without some direction (mostly for peace of mind).
    If you find anything out, please post.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you are currently on 3.1.2 and unlocked then you have no options as spirit does not activate the phone.. you will have to wait. If all you want to do is jailbreak then restore to 3.1.3 in iTunes .. activate in iTunes.. then run spirit to jailbreak. With your 3.1.3 SHSH on file you will always be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If you are currently on 3.1.2 and unlocked then you have no options as spirit does not activate the phone.. you will have to wait. If all you want to do is jailbreak then restore to 3.1.3 in iTunes .. activate in iTunes.. then run spirit to jailbreak. With your 3.1.3 SHSH on file you will always be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 in the future.
    Poseidon, I have an activated 3GS phone, fw 3.1.2, working perfectly. I do not need it unlocked. I am on AT&T. I want to go from blackra1n jailbreak to spirit jailbreak so that my jailbreak is untethered. I want to do that without messing up everything I have done in the past 2 weeks after I used the blackra1n jailbreak.

Thanks,

Digger

i think i'm in the same boat as you digger. i just want to know if i run spirit on my tethered blackrain jailbroken 3.1.2 3gs will i lose all my cydia apps and everything on my phone? can you please post if u find out?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digger16309 View Post
    Poseidon, I have an activated 3GS phone, fw 3.1.2, working perfectly. I do not need it unlocked. I am on AT&T. I want to go from blackra1n jailbreak to spirit jailbreak so that my jailbreak is untethered. I want to do that without messing up everything I have done in the past 2 weeks after I used the blackra1n jailbreak.

Thanks,

Digger
    You'll have to restore to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak with Spirit. You can't just run one jailbreak tool on top of another.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    i think i'm in the same boat as you digger. i just want to know if i run spirit on my tethered blackrain jailbroken 3.1.2 3gs will i lose all my cydia apps and everything on my phone? can you please post if u find out?
    Don't try running Spirit on an already jailbroken phone. It'll make the phone unbootable and you'll be forced to restore.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    I think there are a lot of us in this 3.1.2/blackra1n boat. I downloaded spirit this morning but I'm not using it until I know ahead of time, step-by-step what I may be in for.

If I have to rejail my phone first and lose everything I've done to mod it, then I may pass on it and if my phone crashes and I am forced to restore or throw it away, then I do have my 3.1.3 blobs and I can use spirit then.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    You'll have to restore to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak with Spirit. You can't just run one jailbreak tool on top of another.
    When I do that, are all of my Cydia/Rock apps, tweaks and settings completely wiped off my phone?

Or, after I restore to 3.1.3 and run spirit, all of my current jailbreak goodness will still be there?

This is the part that is unclear for a lot of us, because a lot of us don't know exactly what a restore does.

Does it completely wipe the phone clean as if it was brand new? Does it just re-install the firmware?
    When I do a restore and then a spirit jailbreak, do I have to then reinstall all of my cydia/rock apps and completely redo my themes, tweaks, settings, etc???

Some guidance on this would be helpful to me (and a lot of others) because some of us may choose to live with a blackra1n tethered jailbreak for now if we have to go through all of that.

Thanks
    Last edited by digger16309; 2010-05-03 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Restore to 3.1.3... activate with iTunes.. run Spirit to jailbreak... enjoy untethered 3.1.3. What else do you need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Restore to 3.1.3... activate with iTunes.. run Spirit to jailbreak... enjoy untethered 3.1.3. What else do you need to know?
    I need to know if I am starting from scratch in changing everything on my phone or if it was how I left it before upgrading to 3.1.3.

For those of us still looking for answers not yet provided....

"Restoring" to 3.1.3 in iTunes will wipe everything clean and give you a factory fresh iPhone.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

You then continue to restore from the backup you made by the syncing/backup you did before killing off blackra1n forever.

Then use Spirit.

Then you are starting over downloading all of your apps from cydia and rock and changing all your themes, settings, etc...

I think I'll stick with a tethered 3.1.2 jailbreak for now until my appstore apps stop working with 3.1.2 and everything dies down and these sites aren't crashing so if I need help, I can get it. I have my 3.1.3 blobs so if Apple releases 3.1.4 to patch this jailbreak, I can still get there with spirit.
    Last edited by digger16309; 2010-05-03 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost