Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: THERE YOU GO! another newbie needs help...

Talking THERE YOU GO! another newbie needs help...
    Hi everybody,

I purchased an iphone 3gs with 3.1 firmware,

when I connect to itunes it is suggesting me to upgrade to 3.1.3

I want to

UPGRADE, UNLOCK, JAILBROKE my phone

What is the proper steps should I take? Where should I begin? What should I download?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ever heard of youtube? you could have already done it by now

thanks for the reply but it is complicated since i don't know where to start also an iphone is new for me

should i upgrade to 3.1.3 than jailbreak or ... I don't know, that's why I decided to get professional help.

thanks

Dont upgrade if you have the 3.1.2 version you can simply use blackra1n rc3 but im not sure if yours is tethered that means rhat everytime u ran out if battery or shut off the phone u have to connect it to ur pc or mac and run blackra1n rc3 again...hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tarugo For This Useful Post:

timhortons (2010-05-01)

I have 3GS with 3.1 thanks

Don't upgrade to 3.1.3 it makes it to were you can't jailbreak/unlock at all. Go on YouTube and search "How to jailbreak iPhone 3.1" (no quotes) and look around. Alot of people have videos and they are quite easy to follow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DoPe x WAFFL3 For This Useful Post:

timhortons (2010-05-01)

I just spoke to somebody, he told me 3gs is worthless if you are going to jailbreak it!? also ho told me we can take a risk and jailbroke it but if the battery runs out, the hack will run out too ? what is this it was complicated at the beginning now it is more complicated. as of net search I did a lot but the thing is they all come up with 3.1.X hard to find 3.1 alone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

3.1 means it's likely the old bootrom meaning your jailbreak won't be tethered (you won't have to run the program every time you boot the phone). You should jailbreak where you are now and then make or download a custom 3.1.2 firmware and then restore to that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

timhortons (2010-05-02)

thanks I already downloaded redsn0w, now the firmwares I found this website

http://www dot iphoneheat dot com/2009/03/download-iphone-firmware-files-all-at-one-place/

and downloaded the 3.1 and 3.1.2

as for the custom firmwares are they different? if so where can I find them?

Also how should I proceed? Some one please can explain this in easy steps... thanks a lot

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
    thanks I already downloaded redsn0w, now the firmwares I found this website

http://www dot iphoneheat dot com/2009/03/download-iphone-firmware-files-all-at-one-place/

and downloaded the 3.1 and 3.1.2

as for the custom firmwares are they different? if so where can I find them?

Also how should I proceed? Some one please can explain this in easy steps... thanks a lot
    Download a custom firmware, it should have these features:
    pwnagetool made 3.1.2
    700mb-1gb partition
    activated
    cydia installed and nothing else
    stock boot and recovery logos

Your phone should be jailbroken before you attempt to put on the CFW, you can jailbreak 3.1 with blackra1n. Once it's jailbroken and you have the CFW, simply shift-restore in iTunes and point to the downloaded CFW (your phone should be fully booted and sitting on the homescreen when doing this).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

timhortons (2010-05-02)

so, plans are changed? I will not use the redsn0w anymore? ok, let me first search and download pwnagetool made 3.1.2 firmware, hope i will find it.

than I will get back here and post for more help, thanks for the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Download a custom firmware, it should have these features:
    pwnagetool made 3.1.2
    700mb-1gb partition
    activated
    cydia installed and nothing else
    stock boot and recovery logos
    I am on the official carrier and my phone is locked to Fido

on the download page for custom firmware I have this

IMPORTANT

There are two types of Custom Firmwares available for download below.

1. ACTIVATED: This custom IPSW file is for users who want to unlock their iPhone which means they are NOT on Official Carrier only.
    2. NOT ACTIVATED: This custom IPSW file is for users who are on Official Carrier only.

you told me to download activated one but here in guide it says download the non-activated one. Little help here before download greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Last edited by timhortons; 2010-05-02 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

so, plans are changed? I will not use the redsn0w anymore? ok, let me first search and download pwnagetool made 3.1.2 firmware, hope i will find it.

than I will get back here and post for more help, thanks for the patience.

I am on the official carrier and my phone is locked to Fido

on the download page for custom firmware I have this

IMPORTANT

There are two types of Custom Firmwares available for download below.

1. ACTIVATED: This custom IPSW file is for users who want to unlock their iPhone which means they are NOT on Official Carrier only.
    2. NOT ACTIVATED: This custom IPSW file is for users who are on Official Carrier only.

you told me to download activated one but here in guide it says download the non-activated one. Little help here before download greatly appreciated.

thanks
    If you iphone's official carrier is Fido and thats the carrier you are going to use after jailbreak choose Not Activated

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

thanks
    As area51crypto just said, use the unactivated one. The reason I told you to get an activated one is because in your first post, you said you wanted to unlock the phone. Unlocking is for people who want to use unofficial carriers, like t-mobile in the US.

I downloaded custom firmware for 3gs at

http://www dot iphoneheat dot com/2009/10/download-iphone-os-3-1-2-custom-firmware-ipsw-files-for-iphone-3gs-3g-2g/

unactivated one, now what? please explain which program should I use and how, please tell me the simplest method.

WOW, case closed, I jailbroke it with blackra1n, then restore custom firmware with ITunes... IT WAS VERY EASY ... thanks everybody ...
    Last edited by timhortons; 2010-05-03 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I downloaded custom firmware for 3gs at

http://www dot iphoneheat dot com/2009/10/download-iphone-os-3-1-2-custom-firmware-ipsw-files-for-iphone-3gs-3g-2g/

unactivated one, now what? please explain which program should I use and how, please tell me the simplest method.

WOW, case closed, I jailbroke it with blackra1n, then restore custom firmware with ITunes... IT WAS VERY EASY ... thanks everybody ...
    Good to hear