Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm new to the iPhone and I restored it using iTunes, now my SIM card won't work.

Default I'm new to the iPhone and I restored it using iTunes, now my SIM card won't work.
    This god damn phone is such a pain in the ***. I'm seriously regretting buying one. It's one of the old 4Gigabyte internal memory version. I have no idea if it's 1g/2g/3g/4g/6g etc.

Since this POS phone won't even let me check what version it is, how can I know what jailbreak version I need to download and run.

Can anyone please offer me some guidance? It used to work perfectly until I restored it in iTunes.

Thanks

Thanks

What's ur carrier?

It's a first generation 4gb

Hi there.

I live in Bolivia and I was using Tigo SIM card. It worked perfectly. When I did the iTunes restore function it doesn't detect the SIM card as valid.

Thanks

when u updated it in iTunes did u update to 3.1.3...if so use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak...if it has the silver back with black at the bottom it is a 2g iPhone...download an official 3.1.2 ipsw for it from the download section of this site and run redsn0w and point it at the 3.1.2 ipsw when it asks for it even though u are jailbreaking 3.1.3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

papuccino1 (2010-04-26)

Thanks! That sounds like a very simple guide to follow!

Quick question: Is there ANY chance I can brick/compeltely and irrevokably break my iPhone if I do this? (For example, if the ipsw file I download is corrupt.)

Quote Originally Posted by papuccino1 View Post
    Thanks! That sounds like a very simple guide to follow!

Quick question: Is there ANY chance I can brick/compeltely and irrevokably break my iPhone if I do this? (For example, if the ipsw file I download is corrupt.)
    No, the iPhone has a bootloader that is built into the hardware. It will allow the iPhone to be restored even if the firmware was somehow corrupted. There is no chance of bricking it.

Also, if you are trying to unlock the phone for use on a carrier other than AT&T, make sure you check that option when you run the jailbreak.

OK, so I downloaded redSn0w 0.9.2 and the ipsw file for my iPhone. MANY THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR!

Now, when I launch redsn0w: "Please select your CURRENT firmware". Does that mean I have to give it the ipsw file I just downloaded?

OK, so I downloaded redSn0w 0.9.2 and the ipsw file for my iPhone. MANY THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR!

Now, when I launch redsn0w: "Please select your CURRENT firmware". Does that mean I have to give it the ipsw file I just downloaded?
    You want to point it to the 3.1.2 firmware (even though you are running 3.1.3. After that, just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

What the heck went wrong?????

Everything was working fine. My iPhone has the image "Download Jailbreak Data" with a hard drive icon on it, but the redSn0w program crashed. I'm using Windows 7.

What gives. What can I do now? Just run it again? or do i need to resotre from Itunes THEN run it again?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Try to run the jailbreak again. If that fails, restore and try again. If you can't get redsn0w to work, download 3.1.2 ipsw and restore to that then use blackra1n to jailbreak it. With blackra1n you wont get an auto unlock you will need to download BootNeuter from Cydia.

Thanks MASSIVELY to everyone who helped. I managed to jailbreak my phone and now my SIM card works and everything is dandy!

Now my next question: How do I install applications for free of otherwise commercial apps?

Thanks MASSIVELY to everyone who helped. I managed to jailbreak my phone and now my SIM card works and everything is dandy!

Now my next question: How do I install applications for free of otherwise commercial apps?
    Can't help you there. Asking for pirated apps will likely get you banned here.

*cough* can you PM me at least? I'm a newbie *cough*

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Asking for a pm on how to get pirated apps is no different than asking for it -.-

Not to condone it, but a quick search on Google wouldn't be worthless.

Thanks

*cough* .. go away pirate .. *cough*

Nevermind figured it out. Add Welcome to Cydia.hackulo.us! as a repo, then download ********. WOrks brilliantly!

btw i live in Bolivia so now way i can legally purchase apps here blame Jobs, not me.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Doesn't mean you are an exception to breaking forum rules. Please don't post up pirated repos and apps. You have already been told once before.