Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs new boorom in boot loop, I have 2 options. What would you do ?

Question 3gs new boorom in boot loop, I have 2 options. What would you do ?
    Phone: 3gs, 3.1.2, new bootrom. Stuck in blackra1n boot loop.

No SHSH stored from 3.1.2. Bought the phone 3 weeks ago and by that time Apple wasn't signing 3.1.2 anymore. It was already jailbroken and unlocked and keep using it that way. Reset network setttings and stuck in the loop ever since.

I've researched a lot trying to fix it and realized the only way is to restore the OS. Some people have reported that running blackra1n for hours helped, but I did for a week and it did not work.

- Can't install custom 3.1.3. firmware because I have new bootrom.
    - Can't reinstall 3.1.2 because apple is not signing and don't have stored SHSH.

Possible options:

- Wait for something to fix it shows up. I wonder if the untethered jailbreak Geohot has will help with the boot loop ? Anyone want to take a guess ?

- Just go ahead and restore 3.1.3 and at least get to use my iphone as an ipod touch while an unlock shows up, possibly in a couple of months.

What would you do? I can't decide.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you have OpenSSH installed, you might be able to SSH into the phone and either remove blacksn0w or install blacksn0w RC2.

I don't think I can SSH into the phone if it won't boot, What ip address would I use ??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can do it through USB. Download iphone tunnel. Then open a command prompt and type in:

iphone_tunnel.exe 22 22

Then use your preferred SSH program and connect to 127.0.0.1 on port 22.

Also, did you try going in through wifi? If it's connecting, you should be able to see it on the config screen of your router.

Thank you, but I've been trying and it just won't connect.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilitu88 View Post
    Thank you, but I've been trying and it just won't connect.
    Trying what? One method? Two? What steps failed?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

lilitu88 (2010-04-25)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    You can do it through USB. Download iphone tunnel. Then open a command prompt and type in:

iphone_tunnel.exe 22 22

Then use your preferred SSH program and connect to 127.0.0.1 on port 22.

Also, did you try going in through wifi? If it's connecting, you should be able to see it on the config screen of your router.
    I have the same problem but I don't understand how to follow your procedure. Can you explain a little more in detail, please?

First thank you for helping me out with this .

The phone is not getting and ip address, I checked in the router. I presume that is because its not booting of course.

Regarding Iphone Tunnel I downloaded version 3 and ran the command you mentioned. It showed that everything was ok, but when I try to actually connect to the phone, it just hangs and the connection times out because the phone won't respond.

Maybe there is some kind of configuration problem since the program doesn't mention 3gs, just 3g and 2g.

Also it is entirely possible that the phone didn't have open ssh installed since after I bought it I just used it for a few days before this happened and I didn't verify if it had it or not. I kept it because I understood it wasn't the sellers fault this happened, but now I have a 550 dollar brick.

Any idea what I could try? at this point I would try anything.

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much to do if OpenSSH isn't installed. I think it's the only way into the phone while you're also able to run commands.

As for iphone tunnel, I personally had some trouble finding a working version. Where I did end up finding it was on this site: Developer Instincts: SSH to iPhone via USB
    I assume you have iTunes 9.x so try downloading the one corresponding to that on the page.

If it still doesn't work and OpenSSH isn't installed, I think you're out of luck. At least I don't know how to help.