Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS stays black unless I use iTunes

Default 3GS stays black unless I use iTunes
    3GS 3.1.2
    I bought the iPhone through ebay and the seller had reset it. When I tried to jaibreak/unlock it (and I have done it before) with blackra1n I ran into problems. The screen stays black now, no matter what I try (switching it on or trying DFU, running redsn0w or whatever).
    When I connect it to iTunes it recognizes an iPhone in restore mode and when I agree to restore/update to 3.1.3 (which I don't want) during the message "preparing iPhone for restore" the apple shows up.
    That's when I disconnect the iPhone. I have a white screen for a while but am now back at square one - no apple, no usb cable, nothing. The screen stays black.
    Any tricks I have might have forgotten to get a screen back without having to upgrade to 3.1.3?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Unless you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file with Cydia and have your iTunes pointed to sauriks server then you can't restore to 3.1.2 anymore b/c Apple doesn't sign that firmware.

I am aware of that but presently I am unable to find out if the previous owner had jailbroken it and had the SHSH on Saurik's server as I have a black screen.
    I opened the thread to find a way to get any sort of display.

Does anvbody have any explanation why I can't get any sort of display (opening screen, apple, USB cable)?

If the screen is blank and the phone is being recognized in iTunes, it sounds like it is already in DFU mode. My advice would be to point iTunes to Saurik's server (search the web for how to do this), download 3.1.2 from the web (again, search). Then, hold down shift on a PC or option on a Mac and click restore in iTunes. You will then be allowed to select the 3.1.2 firmware you downloaded to your computer. Select it and try restoring. If your phone's SHSH was backed up, you will be able to restore to 3.1.2. If not, the restore will fail and iTunes will make you restore to 3.1.3, which is not a big deal since this is what it is telling you to do right now anyway. So really you have nothing to lose by trying.