Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore 3gs w/ white screen on 3.1.2 or not?

Default Restore 3gs w/ white screen on 3.1.2 or not?
    Here's a quick summary of my problems & what I've tried. I'm stuck and need a little expertise.

- white screen and won't go away by resetting it manually. but i can hear it ring and itunes recognizes it.
    - i checked ribbons 1, 2, & 3 & they look fine and are connected properly (i sent it somewhere to b repaired after it's first crash a while ago).

sounds like i need a new lcd? but there are no lines & the screen dims? last time there were bad lines - it's sad i have a last time.

- should i restore the software? i have itunes 3.1.2. i added apple to my host file, i downloaded ih8snow ireb v3.1.2. i'm afraid that by not knowing enough i'm doing a little of this and a little of that and not seeing the big picture.

i appreciate any feedback or discussion!

Thanks

if you have your shsh's for 3.1.2 then restoring would not be a bad place to start...if that doesn't fix it you may need to replace the lcd again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

apeekers (2010-04-22)

i do have them stored on cydia. maybe i'm confused about the restore - itunes says that in order to restore my phone i have to upgrade to 3.1.3, even though i have changed my host file. what am i doing wrong?

Thanks

you need to download an official 3.1.2 from the download section of this site using firefox or chrome not internet explorer or safari...in iTunes use shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point it at the file u downloaded

j3st3r3 - thank you! i found the instructions earlier about using shift+restore but had no idea what file i was looking for once i did it. i'm dl-ing chrome on that computer right now & i'll let you know how that turns out.
    i bedazzled my iphone & i like it that way.

i replaced my lcd. whomever i sent it off to about a year ago did a great job. they didn't replace 4 screws - just didn't even put them back in it. and apparently gave me a great lcd, too. at least with the help of forums like this one, i've learned to do it myself, which is way more fun anyway. thanks for the advice! i'm off to email the jerks who stole my screws!
    i bedazzled my iphone & i like it that way.