Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone jailbroken and i have to send it into apple(but the phone is broken)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone jailbroken and i have to send it into apple(but the phone is broken)
    So I kinda have a problem. Today, my iphone broke and started overheating and now it wont turn on or respond to anything. I called apple and they said they would send me a new one. The only problem is, my phone is jailbroken and the bootloader was downgraded(it was 1.1.2 OOTB) and i cant plug it into my computer to restore it or anything. Will they see this and void my warranty or deny me a replacement?

Or will the fact that it is pretty much shot mean they wont be able to see anything either?

Am i Screwed???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Well if the phone will not power on at all then they will have no way of running diagnostics on it to tell if it has been jailbroken or not. You should be fine but if anyone else has additional input please comment.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they wont be able to see anything...Has anyone else had this problem? And apple sent me an email about the repair process and at the end it said this:

WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software. As part of the service process, Apple will update the software on your iPhone to the latest version. IF YOU HAVE MODIFIED YOUR IPHONE'S SOFTWARE, YOUR IPHONE MAY BECOME PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE WHEN APPLE UPDATES THE SOFTWARE. Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

Does that mean only an unlocked phone would be bad to send them(I am on AT&T)?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if your phone won't turn on due to overheating, they probably can't turn it on either. if they can, there's nothing you can do anyways since there's no way to upgrade a downgraded bootloader, so you'll just have to send it in and take your chances

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viligante8 View Post
    I hope they wont be able to see anything...Has anyone else had this problem? And apple sent me an email about the repair process and at the end it said this:

WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software. As part of the service process, Apple will update the software on your iPhone to the latest version. IF YOU HAVE MODIFIED YOUR IPHONE'S SOFTWARE, YOUR IPHONE MAY BECOME PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE WHEN APPLE UPDATES THE SOFTWARE. Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

Does that mean only an unlocked phone would be bad to send them(I am on AT&T)?
    Basically this is just a disclaimer for them. It is not illegal to unlock or jailbreak your phone. All it is saying is that the first thing they do when they get the phone is an upgrade to the latest firmware, and if as a result causes any irreparable damage then they don't take any responsibility.

So if you ever need to warranty your phone you "refurbish" with ziphone and then DFU RESTORE to the lastest firmware to leave no traces of modification.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I cant refurbish cause my phone is shot...well, i should get the box today or tomorrow to send the phone back to apple...i'll keep my fingers crossed.

PS I asked the tech guy about a replacement phone since they screwed up and he said the only option was to pay $30 for a replacement phone...isn't that stupid?