Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking and Unlocking, two different things, right?

Default Jailbreaking and Unlocking, two different things, right?
    I am a noob at this. I JUST got my iPhone, my b-day gift was "a little early".

Anyway, I figured out that it's new bootrom, and the software it came with is 3.1.3. Oh and it's 3G[S] 16gb.

I did read the other topics, but just to clarify some questions I have...

Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two different things? I know what jailbreaking does, but what about unlocking?

How does unlocking benefit the consumer?

And lastly, I'm guessing, no news on the 3G[S] new bootrom jailbreak, right?

Oh and, I can't downgrade to 3.1.2 since I got my iPhone at 3.1.3 already, right? Just want to make sure!

Thank you in advance to whoever spends a moment answering my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ist View Post
    I am a noob at this. I JUST got my iPhone, my b-day gift was "a little early".

Anyway, I figured out that it's new bootrom, and the software it came with is 3.1.3. Oh and it's 3G[S] 16gb.

I did read the other topics, but just to clarify some questions I have...

Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two different things? I know what jailbreaking does, but what about unlocking?

How does unlocking benefit the consumer?

And lastly, I'm guessing, no news on the 3G[S] new bootrom jailbreak, right?

Oh and, I can't downgrade to 3.1.2 since I got my iPhone at 3.1.3 already, right? Just want to make sure!

Thank you in advance to whoever spends a moment answering my questions.
    You can still jailbreak with Redsn0w

How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 with Redsn0w 0.9.2 (WIN) | AllTechRelated

Not sure about how to unlock as ive never had too, but is is completely different to unlocking. Unlocking is just to change from say o2/AT&T to another operater. Jailbreaking opens the phone up for 3rd party downloads and mods.
    hope this helps

Hey,

To answer your questions.

jailbreak - run 3rd party apps on your phone, not just approved by apple. Any majority run 10x better than stock apps and alow complete customization of phone.

unlock - allows you to put any SIm card in your phone and use it with any provider you please. You buy phoen off AT&T you are forced to use there service, you unlock it and put sim from another provider in and will work on there network.

As for anything for your 3.1.3....... wait, somethings brewing or at least you have 2 - 3 month wait till 4.o released then some fun

BTW - nice gift

IF and a BIG IF, if your phone was refurbished.... never know.... you can check shsh server and see if previous owner JB phone and you have a 3.1.2 or previous SHSH saved As stated BIG BIG IF

Ultrasnow can unlock the phone. But not sure for your firmware.
    Last edited by idigipunk; 2010-04-18 at 06:22 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idigipunk View Post
    Ultrasnow can unlock the phone. But not sure for your firmware.
    No, it can't. And the phone isn't jailbreakable either.

Stuck with AT&T sounds kinda drastic. I am wondering... When the contract expires and I still keep my iPhone (obviously) will they like, unlock it or something? If I decide to leave AT&T or how does that work out in the end?

As for theguyz's refurbished theory... thank you Jesus, it's brand new. Saw the AT&T guy pull it out of a packed up box, myself!

Lastly, 3.1.3 not jailbreakable, but is it at least unlockable by any means other then through AT&T?

Thanks

if u leave AT&T they will not unlock your phone...as dhamien said 3gs with new bootrom already on 3.1.3 is neither jailbreakable or unlockable at this time...