Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS with Old Bootrom

Default 3GS with Old Bootrom
    I got a 3GS with the old bootrom, that had never been jailbroken. It is still on firmware 3.0. I Jailbroke it yesterday. It is working perfectly fine for now. The SHSH's have not been stored on Cydia server until now. So restore can only be for 3.1.3 which would cause me to loose the jailbreak.

What I want to do is prepare myself in case it ever needs to be restored so I don't loose the jailbreak.

Can I use sn0wbreeze 1.5.1 to create a custom .ipsw of 3.1.3? I am not going to use this unless my 3GS has to be restored. I am fine staying at 3.0 as long as I have no problems. I just want to be prepared.
    Also will the custom 3.1.3 keep the baseband at 4.26.08? I don't need the unlock, but like having it for resale value.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes, you should make and store a custom 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3 if you want) firmware on your computer. Restore to that if anything goes wrong with the phone.

CFWs skip SHSH signing as long as you're already broken. This means that you can restore to any version that you'd like. I'd make a 3.1.2 CFW in your case, but 3.1.3 would do just as well.

The baseband will be preserved at 04.26.08

Lastly, I'd suggest getting a hold of a mac and use pwnagetool to make the CFW instead of using sn0wbreeze. It's a much better piece of software, programming wise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (2010-04-19)

If the custom firmwares skip the shsh signing, can I create a custom 3.0? I would like to keep this phone in it's current state if all possible. Restoring to 3.0 would be the perfect solution to me. 3.1.2 would be ok though.

Thanks

Thanks

yes you can create a custom 3.0 firmware for restoring...use pwnagetool to create it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (2010-04-19)

I don't have a mac or access to a mac. Any options for windows users? If so please include which version of the progeam.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think there's a tool available on windows that makes 3.0 CFWs. Only pwnagetool does so.

edit: Hmm, just did a little searching, I'm not sure pwnagetool has ever been able to make 3.0.x
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-04-19 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    I don't think there's a tool available on windows that makes 3.0 CFWs. Only pwnagetool does so.

edit: Hmm, just did a little searching, I'm not sure pwnagetool has ever been able to make 3.0.x
    I didn't find anything that says it can make a custom 3.0 either. Oh well it's not a big deal. as long as I don't loose my jailbreak 3.1.2 will be fine.

Dont worry about making a custom for 3.0 since it doesnt support multi media messaging. Just use the 3.1.2 and u will have all the bells and whistles u need for now.

So what program can I use to make a custom 3.1.2? I do not have a mac or access to a mac.

Thanks

google one that was created using pwnagetool...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (2010-04-23)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you use google, search for one that has these features:

pwnagetool made
    700mb-1gb partition
    unactivated
    (this is assuming you have an official carrier)
    cydia installed and nothing else
    stock boot and recovery logos

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (2010-04-23)