Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken 3G on AT&T doesn't connect or install apps

Default Jailbroken 3G on AT&T doesn't connect or install apps
    Guys,
    I am not exactly a noob but I'm not a pro either.
    I just bought this JB iPhone off ebay..
    FW: 3.1.3
    Modem FW: 05.12.01
    -I'm on AT&T so I do not need to unlock
    -The phone came jailbroken with Cydia installed. I don't know what JB method he used.
    -I'm trying to stay off the AT&T data plan

Ok,
    To start off with, I called AT&T and had them block all data.
    Then I installed FAKE APN from unlockit.co.nz so that no data is sent to AT&T.
    I then installed BossPrefs and turned off EDGE and 3G.

Now I think that I have 2 Different problems:
    1. No access to AT&T
    At first when I put in my SIM card, nothing would happen.
    Network = Not available, Carrier = Not available.
    I then installed ultrasn0w from repo666.ultrasn0w. Now when I put in my SIM card in, it just says "Searching" in the top left corner.
    Network = Not available, Carrier = AT&T 5.6
    -I tried to downgrade with FuzzyBand but I guess my bootloader was too new. (I was going to downgrade the Modem FW and then start all over but I guess I can't do it)

2. Installing 3rd Party apps from iTunes
    - I am able to download/install apps from Cydia and the official app store, but everytime I try to add an app from iTunes, I get the error: "The application "****" was not installed on the iPhone because an unknown error occured (0xE8008001).
    I remember getting a similar error on my iPod when I JB'ed it and I think this is a relatively common error. However, I can't find any guides on how to do this for 3.1.3 and I don't know which method was used for jailbreaking.
    (I think this one should be an easy fix for somebody)

don't know what's going on, but what you can do is to restore the phone with stock Apple 3.1.3, activate the phone via iTunes, then jailbreak it with Redsnow 0.9.2.
    Hope this will fix the problem.
    good luck

I don't want to activate it myself though... Then you have to sign a contract with AT&T for a data plan. Or can I just restore and then jailbreak without activation?
    (I also have no friends with iphones.)

You are already on AT&T, activate the phone on iTunes won't be any problem.
    In order words, activating it on iTunes does not mean you will be charged with data plan nor agree with a new contract...
    Per your post, you have AT&T without data plan, which is fine. Having a AT&T sim, you can use it to activate the iPhone that you bought from someone else.
    I am an iphone re-seller, I have used my AT&T sim to activate tone of iPhone I bought after restoring them.
    If you are still in doubt and worry about the activation thing, another way is to restore the phone with a custom firmware for your 3G. You can google the custom firmware.
    good luck
    Last edited by dtsexpert; 2010-04-16 at 08:10 AM.

I'm having a little trouble sorting through all of the iphone hacks because most of them don't apply to the latest FW. I haven't been reading up much on iphone activation and jailbreaking because I thought my phone wouldn't need those things. I've been mostly reading up about avoiding the data plan. Can you point me in the right direction for a guide explaining how to activate then jailbreak a 3G 3.1.3?
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtsexpert View Post
    You are already on AT&T, activate the phone on iTunes won't be any problem.
    In order words, activating it on iTunes does not mean you will be charged with data plan nor agree with a new contract...
    Per your post, you have AT&T without data plan, which is fine. Having a AT&T sim, you can use it to activate the iPhone that you bought from someone else.
    I am an iphone re-seller, I have used my AT&T sim to activate tone of iPhone I bought after restoring them.
    If you are still in doubt and worry about the activation thing, another way is to restore the phone with a custom firmware for your 3G. You can google the custom firmware.
    good luck
    Does your Att sim have a data contract? The only reason I ask as I have had several different Att phones but only my Iphone activates through itunes!

Nope, My non-smart phone contract just ran out so now I'm month-to-month

Ok...
    I think I've figured out which guides to follow in case someone else is in my same situation.

First Restore then jailbreak using RedSn0w
    http://modmyi.com/guides/?p=3041
    (Which will activate/hacktivate my iphone)
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/703...-3-1-3-3g.html

Then follow the steps that I listed in my first post for turning off data, which I based off of here:
    How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan
    Last edited by dillio33; 2010-04-17 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i would restore
    Keithsta

just did a fresh restore to Apple's 3.1.3
    Now it is telling me to insert the SIM to activate but the way I understand it is that I can use Redsn0w to hacktivate it

Ok jailbreak successfull
    I just installed my stuff to block the data plan
    tried to add a 3rd party app... no success, same error:
    The application _____ was not installed.... becasue an unknown error occurred (0xE8008001).

Also just popped my sim card in...
    Now it says
    Network: Not Available
    Carrier: Not Available

Does the iphone need data to get the Network setup?
    Last edited by dillio33; 2010-04-17 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillio33 View Post
    just did a fresh restore to Apple's 3.1.3
    Now it is telling me to insert the SIM to activate but the way I understand it is that I can use Redsn0w to hacktivate it

Ok jailbreak successfull
    I just installed my stuff to block the data plan
    tried to add a 3rd party app... no success, same error:
    The application _____ was not installed.... becasue an unknown error occurred (0xE8008001).

Also just popped my sim card in...
    Now it says
    Network: Not Available
    Carrier: Not Available

Does the iphone need data to get the Network setup?

As far as I know you cannot activate an Att simcard with jailbreaking software! If it is in an Iphone it must be activated through itunes!

After reading the post "How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan" I could not find any place in the post that talks about doing this with a jailbroken iphone! It only refers to an already activated iphone!

Reread the post!

1. Put the AT&T Sim card in the already activated iPhone.
    2. Make a wifi connection to a local wifi source.

You do understand that you will have to have at least a basic contract with Att or I would think you might could use T-mobile, but you are going to half to have a contract of some kind with a carrier!

This is the way I understand all this! Maybe I'm wrong but with all the reading I think it is right!

Ps: You might go through this whole process and activate iphone through itunes do all the steps and when finished then Jailbreak the phone but if it is Att sim don't choose activate phone when jailbreaking! If you do in will never find carrier!
    If it is an Att sim you are going to half to have and active contract with them, basic contract might work!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-04-17 at 06:18 AM.

Yeah... I knew that was what the post said, to already have it activated with ATT, but I thought that I might be able to get around it with a "hacktivated" phone but I don't think that is possible anymore. I tried my steps again and it didn't work so I started all the way over with a Fresh Apple restore, then activate, then jailbreak.
    I'll let you know how it all works out.

BTW I never saw the option to not activate when jailbreaking. I'm using redsn0w.

I have a month-to-month with ATT right now (i suppose that was in the original 2 year contract somewhere)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillio33 View Post
    Yeah... I knew that was what the post said, to already have it activated with ATT, but I thought that I might be able to get around it with a "hacktivated" phone but I don't think that is possible anymore. I tried my steps again and it didn't work so I started all the way over with a Fresh Apple restore, then activate, then jailbreak.
    I'll let you know how it all works out.

BTW I never saw the option to not activate when jailbreaking. I'm using redsn0w.

I have a month-to-month with ATT right now (i suppose that was in the original 2 year contract somewhere)
    I don' use redsnow I use PWNAGE Tool which is for Mac and it has the option!

I think for an unlock you use another software after redsnow so you would not have that option in redsnow my bad!

I would think you contract would meet the needs!

Let me know if it works!

yeah my service is still good with them right now. I'm using an older regular phone with them right now and I just want to switch to an iPhone without the data plan because I have WIFI where ever I go...

SUCESS!
    Got it working
    1. Fresh Restore
    2. Activate with iTunes and ATT Sim card
    3. Jailbreak
    4. Block data

It finally worked. I thought that I could skip step 2 because I had a working, legit ATT SIM but that was not the case.
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by dillio33; 2010-04-17 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Good Job!