Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0 Jailbreak Before 3.1.3?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default 4.0 Jailbreak Before 3.1.3?
    So...is 3.1.3 even gonna get a jailbreak... I can perfectly see why not it just sucks being stuck on it when I wasn't even the one who updated it you know?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

3.1.3 will not get one.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow...I'm screwed. Time to break out the HTC for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    3.1.3 will not get one.
    What happened to the jailbreak that people (including yourself) said would be out when the ipad 3g is released?

I thought that covered 3.1.3

Thanks

I saw a 4.0 beta jailbreak this morning on twitter (from Musclenerd), is the exploit used there unusable on the 3.1.3? I'd assume you would want to support as many devices as possible after using up an exploit.

EDIT: Nevermind, reading up on the twitter post it seems it's an old exploit
    Last edited by Akamir; 2010-04-16 at 01:39 PM.

Yeah,I thought the 3.2 JB for the iPad was supposed to also encompass 3.1.3. If that's not the case, wow. I realize 3.1.3 sucks but so many of us are stuck on it

dude I think we are almost forced to sell our 3gs and by a 4g
    ** I don't hate myself anymore I have a JB iphone

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
    Yeah,I thought the 3.2 JB for the iPad was supposed to also encompass 3.1.3. If that's not the case, wow. I realize 3.1.3 sucks but so many of us are stuck on it
    Yep that is what I thought.

I was under the impression that the 'spirit' jailbreak that is to be released once the ipad 3g is in the shops would jailbreak the iphone 3gs on 3.1.3 with the new bootrom.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ok you guys need to understand the bigger picture here. First of all... 3.1.3 has been jailbroken all along for older devices such as the iPhone 3G and IPT 2G and the 3GS with the old bootrom. It's people with the newer devices with the new bootrom that can't jailbreak 3.1.3. If the Devs released a jailbreak for the new bootrom 3.1.3 like Apple has wanted then there would be a very small amount of people in the jailbreak community benefiting. iBoot exploits (untethered jailbreaks) are MUCH harder to find and develop then something like a tethered blackra1n. Because of this the Dev community did the smart thing and is holding this exploit for a couple months (no big deal).. so the ENTIRE jailbreak community can have an untethered 4.0 jailbreak on ALL devices. It's quite possible that if the Devs had released a 3.1.3 jailbreak that it would take a REALLY long time to find another one after 4.0 came out. Finally... it's proposed that since this same exploit works on the iPad that it will also work on the upcoming iPhone.

In conclusion... for the minority of people that bought their phone on 3.1.3 or were forced to upgrade.. or get a warranty phone.. or whatever the reason may be.. you are a TINY group of people in the overall scheme of things and to sacrifice not being able to jailbreak or use your phone at all for a couple months so that everyone can enjoy a jailbreak in the end is not too much to ask. Stop complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Ok you guys need to understand the bigger picture here. First of all... 3.1.3 has been jailbroken all along for older devices such as the iPhone 3G and IPT 2G and the 3GS with the old bootrom. It's people with the newer devices with the new bootrom that can't jailbreak 3.1.3. If the Devs released a jailbreak for the new bootrom 3.1.3 like Apple has wanted then there would be a very small amount of people in the jailbreak community benefiting. iBoot exploits (untethered jailbreaks) are MUCH harder to find and develop then something like a tethered blackra1n. Because of this the Dev community did the smart thing and is holding this exploit for a couple months (no big deal).. so the ENTIRE jailbreak community can have an untethered 4.0 jailbreak on ALL devices. It's quite possible that if the Devs had released a 3.1.3 jailbreak that it would take a REALLY long time to find another one after 4.0 came out. Finally... it's proposed that since this same exploit works on the iPad that it will also work on the upcoming iPhone.

In conclusion... for the minority of people that bought their phone on 3.1.3 or were forced to upgrade.. or get a warranty phone.. or whatever the reason may be.. you are a TINY group of people in the overall scheme of things and to sacrifice not being able to jailbreak or use your phone at all for a couple months so that everyone can enjoy a jailbreak in the end is not too much to ask. Stop complaining.
    No one in the thread was complaining from what I can see, merely discussing the issue.

My earlier question still stands.

Will the "spirit" jailbreak that many respected people in the scene have said will more than likely be released before the end of the month when the ipad 3gs is released, jailbreak the new bootrom 3gs on 3.1.3 ?

From Posixninja's blog

"Also, today I mentioned on my twitter that I can almost guarantee an exploit for 3.1.3/3.2 (all devices, and all models!) before the end of the month. I would strongly advise everyone to keep a close eye on Geohot's blog for updates in the near future"
    Last edited by wezlyons; 2010-04-16 at 07:57 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wezlyons For This Useful Post:

djerrol (2010-04-16)

Poseidon, I would disagree about how small a group we are. And based on the posts here our numbers grow every day . I don't think we were complaining. I think we were expressing a little dismay that what had seemed to be a coming patch release date that would fix us is apparently not going to happen. Surely we're allowed a little sadness about that fact.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wezlyons View Post
    What happened to the jailbreak that people (including yourself) said would be out when the ipad 3g is released?

I thought that covered 3.1.3
    The problem is the "plan" changes day to day.

I have heard rumors that geohot will release a new jailbreak (soon) that does everything so everyone else wants to hold back. But geohot is not that reliable when it comes to serving the needs of all. So who knows what he is going to release. The only thing I know is the new name, and it's really lame.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

basically we who are on 3.1.3 are [email protected] till 4.0 is released right?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    The problem is the "plan" changes day to day. :

I have heard rumors that geohot will release a new jailbreak (soon) that does everything so everyone else wants to hold back. But geohot is not that reliable when it comes to serving the needs of all. So who knows what he is going to release. The only thing I know is the new name, and it's really lame.
    I am very surprised he hasn't released anything yet.
    This whole situation is perfect for a Geohot to come bursting in like Mighty Mouse and shout "here I come to save the day" and boost his swelling ego that little bit more.

Well... let's hope geohot gives us something

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yeah....now to play the waiting game.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The good of the many out weigh the good of a few

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

waiittt did you just say u can jailbreak old bootrom 3gs 3.1.3??!!
    cause im on 3.1.3 with old bootrom and can jailbreak for ****

Wow poseidon is right I did have 3.1.3 on my 3GS and no jailbreak I didn't care because you have to sacrifice something to gain something bigger. Or they can release it and then apple will patch it for the 4G. Then when all of you run out and get ur new iPhone in June don't complain about why isn't the 4G jailbreak out yet? So choose shut up and don't complain and get your 4.0 jailbreak very soon after release or get your 3.1.3 jailbreak and bit*h and complain later.
    Keithsta

Default What???
    Have you guys been under a rock? P0sixninja promised a jailbreak release for all devices, 3.1.3 and 3.2 here and a few other places by the end of the month!