Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to 3.1.2 from 3.0

Default Upgrade to 3.1.2 from 3.0
    Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS (officially unlocked) running on 3.0 jailbroken. I would like to upgrade to 3.1.2 but the Apple servers wouldn't sign the restore ipsw. Any idea how I can upgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak it?

Thanks.

Thanks

you can update using a custom 3.1.2 ipsw created with pwnagetool...custom firmwares bypass the apple signing process

if u are on a pc use shift+restore to point iTunes at the custom firmware or if u are on a mac use option+restore
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-04-14 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have a 3g with firmware ver. 3.0 tried to upgrade to 3.1.2 with itunes and i keep getting error 1015. am I right in assuming that this phone once had 3.1.3 and somebody downgraded it to 3.0 is thay why I'm getting an error when tring 3.1.2?

Thanks

not 100% sure why u are getting that error but I wouldn't think it would for that reason...hopefully someone else that know more will chime in and help...also use the search on this site for "1015 errors"

Since I'm using a Windows PC, can I just download a custom firmware and use it to restore?

By custom firmware, does it mean I don't have to jailbreak after upgrading to 3.1.2?

Thanks

@ChillyPepper
    that is correct...find one that has been created with pwnagetool and restore to that...there will be no need to jailbreak afterwards

Oh thanks. What about my Cydia apps? Are they still around after the Restore?

Thanks

no they will be gone...there are a couple of apps on cydia that will backup all your cydia apps...not sure what the names are but u should be able to find out by searching this site

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

ChillyPepper (2010-04-17)

All right, thanks.

I tried shift+restoring using 3.1.2 custom firmware but I received a 1600 error. Any help on this? Thanks.

Tried updating in normal mode instead of DFU and it worked.

I have been resisting upgrading my 3GS from 3.0 because I've been afraid of something going wrong and losing my jailbreak. I do have my 3.1,3.1.2, and 3.1.3 SHSHs on file at Cydia. I have a custom ipsw I made on a virtual Mac (I'm running Windows 7.) Any suggestions? Is this pretty safe or should I just sit it out? I do NOT want to be stuck with a stock iPhone but I've been having some flaky issues lately and there are some apps I want that require the later version.

Oh, btw, I'm on AT&T, 4.26.08, and custom carrier AT&T 6.0 (which I suspect could be where some of my push issues started - sometimes I get the message that I have to connect to iTunes to enable push for some apps. A reboot resolves.)

Nevermind... I got impatient waiting for replies and I figured I knew what I was doing anyway, so I finally went for it. All restored to 3.1.2 and still jailbroken as it should be. All went well. Whew!

I'm now in the process of restoring apps from backup. I know it's better not to, but I figure I can always wipe and reinstall again if I need to.
    Last edited by Skyhawk85U; 2010-04-19 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi, I also need to upgrade to 3.1.2
    I'm running 3GS 3.1(7c144)

I tried restoring to custom 3.1.2 but got 1604 error. Does the bootrom have anything to do with this? Any tips on how you guys did it?

Thanks
    Last edited by boiwafu; 2010-04-21 at 04:12 AM.

I think that error comes from being in dfu mode which you don't need if you're already jailbroken. Little tip, I almost was screwed after trying to restore my cydia apps. Got stuck at the pineapple logo, then stuck in dfu mode unable to restore. Better not to restore your cydia apps IMHO. To get out of dfu I held power and home for almost a minute then was able to custom restore again. Now I'm dealing with horrible battery life in 3.1.2 but if you're on 3.1 then you'll be better off. I kind of wish I had stayed on 3.0 though. Trying to recalibrate my battery now to see if I can fix the rapid drain.

did upgrading to 3.1.2 cause the rapid battery drain?

hope everything works out for you

I think so. That's the only thing that changed and I've heard of other people complaining of the same thing. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow after a full recharge. Good luck to you too - post back with your results.

OK this is what you need and need to do.

First get a copy of iH8sn0w V 3.1.2

Next get the official copy of 3.1.2 firmware. Would post a link to where to get tho official firmware but not sure if I would break the rules so PM me.

Second run IH8sn0w V 3.1.2 but make sure iTunes is off. Follow the instruction and then you should be able to upgrade to 3.1.2.

Last Select the type of iPhone you want to upgrade then have iH8sn0w open iTunes and when iTunes open and let you know that your in restore mode select ok then make sure you hold down shift first then select restore and go to the file where you saved the 3.1.2 firmware. Now let Tunes do its thing.

The reason your getting the errors is because iTunes no longer assigns firmware 3.1.2 so it doesn't matter if your battery is full of low. You will get same error. You will have to do the follow that I have posted. And every time you decide to restore follow the steps again.
    Last edited by XFaega; 2010-04-21 at 04:42 AM.

Is that the same as the iREB?

I believe it doesn't support 3GS. Am I mistaken?

Yes it is iREB. Thanks for the correction. This will work for 3GS just select 3G. I have used it on many 3GS's.

Does it have to be with the official firmware? Doesn't that also update the baseband? Sorry for the many questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast