Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 3.1.3 JB question...

  1. #1
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 173 Times in 111 Posts

    Default 3.1.3 JB question...
    So my phone tweaked and i had to do a warranty swap a few weeks ago. Of course with my luck the iPhone comes with 3.1.3.

    I noticed they already JB'd 4.0. If that's the case shouldn't 3.1.3 be the same or easier? Doesnt 4.0 run the new bootrom and whatever else like 3.1.3?

    I dont want to sound like a d*ck, but i mean it feels like they are more concerned about the iPad and 4.0. Which is good, but if those are already JB whats making it hard to JB 3.1.3? 4.0's not going to released for a while. So that means everyone on 3.1.3 has to wait until the summer for a legit JB?

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator soulthoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,096
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 603 Times in 506 Posts

    Yup. You'll have to wait. At this point it makes no sense to release it just so Apple can patch and then we'll be stuck in the same boat again.

  3. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 173 Times in 111 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Yup. You'll have to wait. At this point it makes no sense to release it just so Apple can patch and then we'll be stuck in the same boat again.
    Well its kind of the same thing with the 4.0s right now. Their going to keep releasing new ones and patching as they go along right?

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator soulthoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,096
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 603 Times in 506 Posts

    Not necessarily. They haven't done that with 3.13. Think about it this way. Let's say they have 4 exploits waiting. If they use one for 3.13 that's one less for such a minor upgrade.

    In the long run it's better that they wait for major upgrades. Most of the time, jailbreaks have worked on the minor releases with a little tweaking. 3.13 is the exception because it's widely believed that Apple only released it to prevent jailbreaking. There was nothing of note in that firmware.

  5. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 173 Times in 111 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Not necessarily. They haven't done that with 3.13. Think about it this way. Let's say they have 4 exploits waiting. If they use one for 3.13 that's one less for such a minor upgrade.

    In the long run it's better that they wait for major upgrades. Most of the time, jailbreaks have worked on the minor releases with a little tweaking. 3.13 is the exception because it's widely believed that Apple only released it to prevent jailbreaking. There was nothing of note in that firmware.
    Yeah that pretty low on Apple's part. They need to realize more then half the people buy an iPhone to JB it. Sucks without JB lol..

  6. #6
    ^yeah but they don't like jailbreaking. why don't you dev your own jailbreak then you can do it yourself. Answer is you can't. So go easy on the guys who volunteer to do this for the community.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 2010-04-13 at 05:11 PM.

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 173 Times in 111 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    ^yeah but they don't like jailbreaking. why don't you dev your own jailbreak then you can do it yourself. Answer is you can. So go easy on the guys who volunteer to do this for the community.
    I never said or intended anything negative towards the Devs. I was just curious why 3.1.3 wasn't JB'd for the 3Gs.

  8. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I don't think the "3.1.3 is a minor upgrade" holds anymore given the fact that it has been out for at least 3 months now and also given the fact that so many iphones have been sold with the new firmware or else upgraded during repairs etc..

    I would estimate that there are hundreds of thousands of unjailbroken 3.1.3 iphones and ipods who are waiting for a jailbreak.

    Not releasing the 3.1.3 jailbreak to preserve the exploits for future 4.0 jailbreak is pointless. Nothing will stop Apple upgrading the baseband in 4.0 to 4.01 or something right after 4.0 is jailbroken.

    Lets be honest here, the only people who are saying "DO Not release the JB until 4.0 comes out" are people who are happy having 3.1.2 JB or earlier JB and don't really care about us stuck on 3.1.3. And although its cool that the iPad can be jailbroken too, MUCH MORE people care about the iPhone and it will always remain that way.

  9. #9
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    @dougal22

    by not releasing the 3.1.3 jailbreak the devs are relying on the fact that apple doesn't know which exploit to patch so hopefully it will stay same and all the folks in the unjailbeakable 3.1.3 boat will also have a jailbreak...use firmware umbrella to grab your 3.1.3 shsh's so you will have downgrade options in the future

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Its just so annoying getting teased by people like GeoHot etc..

    My current iphone situation is:

    iPhone 2G 8Gb with JB Blackra1ned 3.1.2
    iPhone 3G 8Gb with 3.1.3 (upgraded when it went in for repairs)
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb with 3.1.3 (Upgraded by stupid me by accident)

    I have to admit, whilst being teased i do appreciate that we are getting feedback on the brilliant and super fast progress that GeoHot and the others are doing, and lets be honest, they are doing it because they love doing it not for money,

    But still... 3.1.3 SUCKS big time with no JB. Its usesless

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal22 View Post
    Its just so annoying getting teased by people like GeoHot etc..

    My current iphone situation is:

    iPhone 2G 8Gb with JB Blackra1ned 3.1.2
    iPhone 3G 8Gb with 3.1.3 (upgraded when it went in for repairs)
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb with 3.1.3 (Upgraded by stupid me by accident)

    I have to admit, whilst being teased i do appreciate that we are getting feedback on the brilliant and super fast progress that GeoHot and the others are doing, and lets be honest, they are doing it because they love doing it not for money,

    But still... 3.1.3 SUCKS big time with no JB. Its usesless

    Dude I fee you bro, I had a 3gs jailbroken on 3.0.1 months ago and me being a retard I upgrade when everything in my gut told me not too...now I have a useless iphone. I just am obsessed with JB my iphone which can't be jailbroken...should a jump ship and get a Droid.....
    ** I don't hate myself anymore I have a JB iphone

  12. #12
    3.1.3 JB is comin this month
    entertheninja: Complications

    "...Also, today I mentioned on my twitter that I can almost guarantee an exploit for 3.1.3/3.2 (all devices, and all models!) before the end of the month. I would strongly advise everyone to keep a close eye on Geohot's blog for updates in the near future. And if you haven't already, PLEASE backup your SHSHs with either firmware umbrella or using Saurik method."

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    we are about 9 or 10 days away from a universal untethered jailbreak, I can wait that much longer, then i will downgrade from 4.o to 3.1.3.

    This date relies on the ipad 3g being released, which to my knowledge hasnt been confirmed yet(April 24th)

  14. #14
    Retired Moderator soulthoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,096
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 603 Times in 506 Posts

    Put it this way, I would rather have a jailbreak for 4.0 then one for 3.13.

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    What is it about a jailbroken phone that makes it so much better than a regular phone? Don't tell me you can't live for a few months without a theme for your phone.

    If you need an unlock, then the fault is all on your part. If you upgraded to 3.1.3 then you messed up. If you bought the phone after 3.1.3 was released, you're still to blame as it was public knowledge that the new baseband couldn't be unlocked.

    What I believe the reason for everyone complaining is that they can't use their stolen software anymore. Well boo hoo, stop stealing and buy your own ****.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    What is it about a jailbroken phone that makes it so much better than a regular phone? Don't tell me you can't live for a few months without a theme for your phone.

    If you need an unlock, then the fault is all on your part. If you upgraded to 3.1.3 then you messed up. If you bought the phone after 3.1.3 was released, you're still to blame as it was public knowledge that the new baseband couldn't be unlocked.

    What I believe the reason for everyone complaining is that they can't use their stolen software anymore. Well boo hoo, stop stealing and buy your own ****.
    Dh in my situation I'm more upset that I didn't do research before I upgraded to 3.1.3 but your right people are complaining to much. the one thing i can say is i have more knowledge about my iphone than ever
    ** I don't hate myself anymore I have a JB iphone

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Loner93 View Post
    Dh in my situation I'm more upset that I didn't do research before I upgraded to 3.1.3 but your right people are complaining to much. the one thing i can say is i have more knowledge about my iphone than ever
    Sorry if I came off a little harsh, as you said so yourself, there's been a lot of complaining lately. You can use what you've learned to your advantage though. When a new jailbreak is released, you won't lose it again as you know all the things to avoid in the future. Checking to see released jailbreaks and unlocks for new firmware versions, if updates to iTunes are safe, SHSHs etc.

    You just need to hold on a little bit longer. A jailbreak is right around the corner

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by terror007 View Post
    3.1.3 JB is comin this month
    entertheninja: Complications

    "...Also, today I mentioned on my twitter that I can almost guarantee an exploit for 3.1.3/3.2 (all devices, and all models!) before the end of the month. I would strongly advise everyone to keep a close eye on Geohot's blog for updates in the near future. And if you haven't already, PLEASE backup your SHSHs with either firmware umbrella or using Saurik method."
    What is a SHSH? Or a Firmware umbrella? I'm stuck on 3.1.3 right now but want to JB ASAP.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    What is it about a jailbroken phone that makes it so much better than a regular phone? Don't tell me you can't live for a few months without a theme for your phone.

    If you need an unlock, then the fault is all on your part. If you upgraded to 3.1.3 then you messed up. If you bought the phone after 3.1.3 was released, you're still to blame as it was public knowledge that the new baseband couldn't be unlocked.

    What I believe the reason for everyone complaining is that they can't use their stolen software anymore. Well boo hoo, stop stealing and buy your own ****.
    Wrong, JB offers a lot more than a theme for my phone. I use SBSettings religiously to clear RAM, turn on and off the 3G, Wifi, and Bluetooth radios. I prefer my 5 icon dock. I love my categories so that I can bury rarely used apps in folders, etc, etc.

    In my case I was just fine and dandy with my JB 3.1.2 3Gs up until this past Saturday when I used the reboot feature in SBSettings and the phone bricked on the startup Apple icon. I took it to the Apple store, genius bar, no joy. I was forced a warranty replacement (hopefully they don't figure out I JB it) and of course the replacement was 3.1.3. So don't tell me it was my fault, let me whine for a while first.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    It's ok to be upset and it's ok to complain about it a bit. What I have a problem with is the ones who yell and ***** at the jailbreakers, saying that they're evil for holding back exploits and that they should just release this very second. All this even though the jailbreakers actually do all this work on their own time without getting paid for it.

    These people ******** are the same ones who will update without checking if the new version is jailbreakable and the same ones that do no research whatsoever as to how they can secure their jailbreaks.

    It's the sense of entitlement that some people have that I don't like.

    I know I'm going a bit off here, it just bothers me that some people have so little respect for others.

  20. #20
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 173 Times in 111 Posts

    Like i said my iPhone just started rebooting itself and i had to upgrade. No methods worked to get it to start. I never upgrade without reading info first.

    Honestly if Pandora was able to run in the background i wouldn't care to wait for the 4.0 JB. But the fact that if im in the gym or listening to Pandora in my car and get a text or email i have to close it just to read something. It get irritating fast. I mean Blackberry's can run Pandora in the background, why cant the iPhone?

    JailBreaking just makes everything easier. Its the way the iPhone should have been out the box...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •