Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 upgrade question

Default 3Gs 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 upgrade question
    Currently running 3.1.2 on baseband 05.11.07 jailbroken with blackra1n and unlocked with blacksn0w. I have made a custom firmware 3.1.3 file using sn0wbreeze and am attempting to update my phone and subsequently was going to use the new blacksn0w RC2 final to unlock my device. I am trying to restore via itunes to the custom sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 firmware but it seems to hang for awhile at "preparing iphone for restore. Is it possible to upgrade a jailbroken & unlocked blackra1n device to 3.1.3? It seems the only way to enter DFU mode is to just reset and instead of running blackra1n as usual after a restart I just ran iTunes restore to custom 3.1.3. Thank god I was able to exit itunes and run blackra1n to keep my iPhone in 3.1.2. Any suggesstions? is what I am doing too risky and should I just stay in 3.1.2?

Is there something I am overlooking?

the problem is that the person that I had bought the phone off of has restrictions in place with a password that has limitied my volume loudness in half which is annoying and I can't contact them for the password.

Thanks!

p.s. sorry for the lengthy question and my first post being a question, I have been scouring the forum for questions already attempting to help people out with their problems that I have knowledge on.
    Last edited by jetpackjeff; 2010-04-09 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your phone might not be able to use custom firmwares at all. It depends on the bootrom of your phone.

To find out which bootrom you have you need to:

1. Put your phone in DFU mode. Do so by connecting it to your computer and then power off. Hold down both home and power button for 10 seconds then release the power button but keep holding the home button until iTunes says it has a found a device in recovery mode.
    2. Download and run the program USBView. In that, check 'Config descriptors' and then hit 'Refresh'.
    3. In the panel on the left, locate where it says something like 'Apple device in DFU mode' and click on it.
    4. On the right, find the line that lists your ECID number and your serial number. In that, you'll also find the iBoot version.

iBoot 359.3 is the old bootrom and a phone with this can use custom firmwares. iBoot 359.3.2 is the new and a phone with that can not use CFWs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

svenni00 (2010-04-10)