Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help understanding point of SHSH

Question help understanding point of SHSH
    I finally gave up my fears and clicked the "make my life easier" button in cydia. I see know that i have SHSHs on file for 3.1.3 but I am running 3.1.2. What is the point of having SHSHs for 3.1.3 and how will I be affected if I HAVE to reboot at some point now?

Also my head is spinning but I'd like a dummys guide to the difference between SHSHs and custom firmware please.

Thank you

baseband is 5.11.07 BTW

The point of having SHSH on file is so you can "downgrade" to a firmware apple is no longer signing. So now, with 3.1.3 (and now all future hashes) if you "accidently" upgrade to a non-jailbreakable firmware in the future, you will be able to roll back to a jailbreakable one even if apple is no longer signing the previous one.

I think of SHSH's as the "key" that turns the firmware on. You load the firmware, and the iPhone looks to apple for the "ok - this firmware is approved" before it will allow it to run. Having those "okay's" on file means you don't have to worry about apple no longer okaying the version you want to run. But someone can probably offer you a much better explanation.

Having your SHSH on file will not effect rebooting in any way. It will impact (positively) your restoring in the future should you need to.

Custom firmware (for devices with the OLD bootrom) is a "modified" version of the stock firmware from apple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BumbleBeez For This Useful Post:

Vonnie Boo (2010-04-08)