Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I restore/re-jailbreak?

My iPhone is a Part of Me headcheese's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Can I restore/re-jailbreak?
    I am on an official carrier (AT&T) with a 3G on 3.1.2 (firmware 05.11.07) I want to restore (I have a 3.1.2 restore point on iTunes) and re-jailbreak. Is this possible? Will if force me to go to 3.1.3? Does that even matter?

Sorry for the n00b questions guys. I've done lots of reading and I am still unsure. ModMyi has never steered me wrong so I thought I'd ask here

For those wondering, I want to re-jailbreak because my device has been acting buggy (sad iPhone face, slow as all get out, etc.) I found that I downloaded too much when I 1st jailbroke, and hardly ever use any of it, so I'd like to start from scratch

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
    I am on an official carrier (AT&T) with a 3G on 3.1.2 (firmware 05.11.07) I want to restore (I have a 3.1.2 restore point on iTunes) and re-jailbreak. Is this possible? Will if force me to go to 3.1.3? Does that even matter?

Sorry for the n00b questions guys. I've done lots of reading and I am still unsure. ModMyi has never steered me wrong so I thought I'd ask here

For those wondering, I want to re-jailbreak because my device has been acting buggy (sad iPhone face, slow as all get out, etc.) I found that I downloaded too much when I 1st jailbroke, and hardly ever use any of it, so I'd like to start from scratch

Thanks in advance!!
    You can download official Apple firmware 3.1.2, then use itunes to restore your phone with that 3.1.2 version (hold Shift Key while clicking at retstore button, then point to folder where you save the Apple firmware 3.1.2).
    Then you can jailbreak it again.
    Go to the download section to download official 3.1.2 for your 3g
    ModMyi Forums - Downloads
    Make sure you pick firmware 3.1.2 for 3G.
    good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtsexpert For This Useful Post:

headcheese (2010-04-07), katastrophic (2011-08-30)

Thanks

So why can't I use the restore I already have in iTunes? Is that because they stopped signing 3.1.2 and I'll have to go to 3.1.3?

Can someone explain the shift key thing more?

And for arguments sake, what would happen if I did something wrong and went to 3.1.3?

Signing is for 3GS only and as you have 3G so you dont have to worry about signing.

Shift + restore is recommend because you want 3.1.2 not 3.1.3, so if you simply press RESTORE, iTunes will restore your iPhone with the latest Firmware, which is 3.1.3 and you dont need that because that firmware will update your baseband also and your Phone will not be unlockable anymore. So simply use a Custom Firmware for 3.1.2
    iPhone 4
    Firmware : iOS4
    Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
    Jailbroken using Jailbreakme

6. The Following User Says Thank You to raziiq For This Useful Post:

headcheese (2010-04-07)

Thanks

So what is the reason why I shouldn't go to 3.1.3? Is it unjailbreakable? I don't care about an unlock as I don't anticipate not being with AT&T.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So what is the reason why I shouldn't go to 3.1.3? Is it unjailbreakable? I don't care about an unlock as I don't anticipate not being with AT&T.
    There's no reason for you personally not to go to 3.1.3 but it's advised against mostly because others need to unlock their phones and 3.1.3 isn't jailbreakable on a 3GS. Another reason is that there's no real benefit going to 3.1.3, nothing to gain, only the risk of losing options.

For you though, with a 3G on ATT, 3.1.3 is fine. You can jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.9.2 and you're with the official carrier.

That's correct. 3.1.3 is unjailbreakable at this point. That's the whole point of custom restoring using 3.1.2 which you have to download to your system first. Instead of just clicking on restore, hold the shift button on your keyboard and hit restore. You then will have the option of selecting the 3.1.2 firmware that you download.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hnrcorner View Post
    That's correct. 3.1.3 is unjailbreakable at this point. That's the whole point of custom restoring using 3.1.2 which you have to download to your system first. Instead of just clicking on restore, hold the shift button on your keyboard and hit restore. You then will have the option of selecting the 3.1.2 firmware that you download.
    That's not really true. 3.1.3 is jailbreakable on 3G phones.