Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: can you upgrade to 3.1.2 with 3.1.3 out already?...

Default can you upgrade to 3.1.2 with 3.1.3 out already?...
    have an iphone 3G (not 3GS) with 3.0.1 firmware on at&t. (so no need for unlock). is it possible to upgrade to 3.1.2? obviously itunes wont let you do it just by updating and choosing, since 3.1.3 is available, but is there a way to actually do it? my goal is to upgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n. tried newest blackra1n (rc2 i believe?) on 3.0.1 already and didn't work. tried shift+restore with 3.1.2 (7D11)ipsw, that i downloaded, and it put the iphone into a recory mode loop which kept cycling everytime i rebooted 'til i put it in dfu mode and then rebooted. any help would be very very much appreciated. thanks in advance group.

Thanks

On a 3G the <shift> restore method should work. Make sure you have the correct firmware.

You will need to jailbreak what you have now 3.0.1 and do the thank you in cydia to store your SHSH for 3.0.1, verify says 3.0.1 stored in cydia as well

Then you will need to use something like redsnow and use the downloaded 3.1.2 firmware and update from file created.

I suggest you focus on getting JB on 3.0.1 for now, as if you load 3.1.2 on you may not get it JB, so using a backed up SHSH from 3.0.1 will save your as s back down to 3.0.1 if need be.

Try redsnow for JB it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theguyz View Post
    You will need to jailbreak what you have now 3.0.1 and do the thank you in cydia to store your SHSH for 3.0.1, verify says 3.0.1 stored in cydia as well

Then you will need to use something like redsnow and use the downloaded 3.1.2 firmware and update from file created.

I suggest you focus on getting JB on 3.0.1 for now, as if you load 3.1.2 on you may not get it JB, so using a backed up SHSH from 3.0.1 will save your as s back down to 3.0.1 if need be.

Try redsnow for JB it.
    The SHSH files are only for 3GS phones, not 3G so he doesn't need to worry about those.

+1 for redsn0w as jailbreak tool though.

thanks so much for the replies. it's my uncles phone so i may see him next weekend. i will try to just jailbreak with redsnow and hopefully it works. i just never jb with redsnow before. any advice on things NOT to do? obviously, i will search for a guide and read up myself on the steps to jb with it, but i know that sometimes there are little things that screw up the whole process. thanks in advance for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    On a 3G the <shift> restore method should work. Make sure you have the correct firmware.
    i had the "3G 3.1.2 (7D11) ipsw" one from this site iDevice Source | iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

this is the only 3G one for 3.1.2
    any idea why it didn't work?
    Last edited by vtowne406; 2010-04-05 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

One thing not to do is upgrade accidentally to 3.1.3
    Lots of people doing the accidental upgrade lately.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Thanks

Best to not even download the 3.1.3 ipsw at all, that way even if you hito

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vtowne406 View Post
    thanks so much for the replies. it's my uncles phone so i may see him next weekend. i will try to just jailbreak with redsnow and hopefully it works. i just never jb with redsnow before. any advice on things NOT to do? obviously, i will search for a guide and read up myself on the steps to jb with it, but i know that sometimes there are little things that screw up the whole process. thanks in advance for the help!

i had the "3G 3.1.2 (7D11) ipsw" one from this site iDevice Source | iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

this is the only 3G one for 3.1.2
    any idea why it didn't work?
    redsn0w is super easy to use...it will guide you through the steps...just make sure to download version 0.9.2...no idea why that firmware didn't work because it is official (comes from apples website)...make sure you are using either firefox or chrome to download it...internet explorer and safari should not be used...give that a try and see if you have any better luck...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

anonymonster (2010-04-06)