Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any workarounds for tethered jailbreak of 3GS yet?

Question Any workarounds for tethered jailbreak of 3GS yet?
    Have had no luck finding a 3GS with the week in the serial number in the 30-range that doesn't require a tethered jailbreak. A few 40s and even some 0x's which i presume were manufactured this year.

So are there any workarounds for a tethered jailbreak yet? I'm wanting to upgrade from my old EDGE iPhone to a 3GS but not crazy about the need for a tethered jailbreak, since I seem to have all sorts of random lockups and resets on my current iPhone while using PdaNet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

no

Quote Originally Posted by hbelkins View Post
    Have had no luck finding a 3GS with the week in the serial number in the 30-range that doesn't require a tethered jailbreak. A few 40s and even some 0x's which i presume were manufactured this year.

So are there any workarounds for a tethered jailbreak yet? I'm wanting to upgrade from my old EDGE iPhone to a 3GS but not crazy about the need for a tethered jailbreak, since I seem to have all sorts of random lockups and resets on my current iPhone while using PdaNet.
    Not for now. But GeoHot and other guys found a way to untethering jailbreak for new bootrom devices. So my assumption is that next Jailbreak app release, there will no more tethering JB...), when is the next release, no one knows.
    If you are in the US, best place to find 3GS with bootrom is craiglist. Just ask the seller to give you the first 5 digits of serial #.
    I have bought 4-5 3GS on craigslist for my friends, they are all used but pretty good condition.
    There is a guy in France making a small portable device that can reboot the tethering JB phones, still dealing with tethering JB phone is nut in my opinion.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dtsexpert View Post
    There is a guy in France making a small portable device that can reboot the tethering JB phones, still dealing with tethering JB phone is nut in my opinion.
    Good luck.

I would be interested in knowing more about this. Would be handy to have, better than packing around a laptop for rebooting every time the battery goes dead. Is there a link for more info on this device or how/where to order?