Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with iphone 3gs manual firmare help

Default Help with iphone 3gs manual firmare help
    Hi, ive just got a secondhand 3gs iphone and it was one of the 1st ones that came out, ie 32gb 3gs and it has been restored i think, anyway when i turn it on it says sim card needed, what i want to no is i want to obviously put the 3.1.2. firmware onto it and without itunes as then i will get the dreaded 3.1.3 firmware, reason for this is that i want to be able to jailbreak it and need instructions/help on how to get the 3.1.2 firmware onto it manually, ive downloaded the appropiate firmware but just need help, anybody please and you will make me very happy..

Regards from Brian

Thanks

what firmware is currently on the phone?

Default Hi j3
    Hi,im not to sure, do i have to acctivate it first through itunes? cheers from brian

Hi, just to ask again do i have to activate the iphone through itunes first as i dont want to make the dreaded mistake of giving the iphone 3.1.3 !! shall i just pop my sim card into it and then connect it to itunes , and then can somebody tell me how to get 3.1.2 firmware onto it as i have downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware onto my desktop as it is a zip file, so how do i get it onto my ipnhone ? and then i want to jailbreak it with Blackrain, thankyou all again from brian..
    Last edited by readbmr; 2010-04-04 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by readbmr View Post
    Hi,im not to sure, do i have to acctivate it first through itunes? cheers from brian

Hi, just to ask again do i have to activate the iphone through itunes first as i dont want to make the dreaded mistake of giving the iphone 3.1.3 !! shall i just pop my sim card into it and then connect it to itunes , and then can somebody tell me how to get 3.1.2 firmware onto it as i have downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware onto my desktop as it is a zip file, so how do i get it onto my ipnhone ? and then i want to jailbreak it with Blackrain, thankyou all again from brian..
    Activating the phone via iTunes is fine. iTunes will not automactially update it.
    You can insert AT&T sim in it, run itunes, then plug cable in the PC, it will activate it and let you go thru step to set up...you can ignore the step if all you want is to activate it.
    If it has the FW 3.1.2, iTunes will ask you "there is a new firmware....do you want to update the phone", just click no.
    Hope that your phone is 3.1.2, if it's 3.1.3, then you are stuck for now.
    good luck

Default Hi and thankyou
    Hi and thankyou, i will update you later, fingers crossed it has 3.1.2 on it, does the iphone 3gs automatically come with 3.1.2 as the guy i bought it from said its been in his office for 6 mths and was one of the 1st 3gs to come out , lets hope so and thankyou again...

Hi and thankyou, i will update you later, fingers crossed it has 3.1.2 on it, does the iphone 3gs automatically come with 3.1.2 as the guy i bought it from said its been in his office for 6 mths and was one of the 1st 3gs to come out , lets hope so and thankyou again...
    If the guy says it's been in his office for 6 months, likely it has 3.1.2 or older. If it has 3.1.2 or older, it's good. Even better the phone probably has old bootrom in it, so you don't to deal with tethering jailbreak.
    After you activate it, let us know the firmware version and the first 5 digits of the serial # (start from the left).
    good luck

Default good news i hope !!
    Hi and thankyou for that, ok its now plugged into itunes and yes ive checked the settings and yippeeee its running 3.1.2 firmware and the first 5 serial numbers are 87922 next question is do i set up as new iphone as ive now got the options to restore to my old back up iphone which i dont want to do as im worried i may get 3.1.3. onto it or do i select option set up as new iphone ?

Thankyou from brian

Hi and thankyou for that, ok its now plugged into itunes and yes ive checked the settings and yippeeee its running 3.1.2 firmware and the first 5 serial numbers are 87922 next question is do i set up as new iphone as ive now got the options to restore to my old back up iphone which i dont want to do as im worried i may get 3.1.3. onto it or do i select option set up as new iphone ?

Thankyou from brian
    Restore from back up does not update your phone to 3.1.3, still not recommend, bit better to have the phone clean before jailbreaking it.
    Although I have my restore from back up before jaibreak it, I have not had any problem.
    I do remember I had problem restore from back up AFTER jailbreaking the phone, it makes the phone freeze and need to restore it again.
    So my suggestion is if you have important info that you need to restore the phone from back up, do it before jailbreaking.
    If there is nothing important, best is have the phone clean then jailbreak it.
    Also, base on the serial #, your phone was made the week of 22nd 2009, so it has the old bootrom. This is good.
    Have fun jailbreaking it...
    god luck

Default hi and thats great
    Hi and thats great news, so shall i definately restore from back-up and then jailbreak it with Blackrain after ? and can you tell me why it is good news re the old bootrom i have ?

Cant wait and i just like to say you have been very helpfull and im most greatfull to you..

I await doing final restore untill i hear from you, can you tell im nervous !! lol, just making sure it doesnt upgrade it to 3.1.3
    Lol, thankyou again Just adding if it helps yes the phone is completely clean at the moment !!ie nonthing on it at all ...
    Last edited by readbmr; 2010-04-04 at 11:36 AM. Reason: adding detail info

Hi and thats great news, so shall i definately restore from back-up and then jailbreak it with Blackrain after ? and can you tell me why it is good news re the old bootrom i have ?

Cant wait and i just like to say you have been very helpfull and im most greatfull to you..

I await doing final restore untill i hear from you, can you tell im nervous !! lol, just making sure it doesnt upgrade it to 3.1.3
    Lol, thankyou again Just adding if it helps yes the phone is completely clean at the moment !!ie nonthing on it at all ...
    If there are lots of things saved in your previous iphone, you can restore from back up. Restore from back up won't update the firmware.
    IF there are not much info, better set up the phone as new, then jailbreak it.
    Either one works fine. Just make sure that if iTunes ask you something like "there is new firmware available for update...", just click NO.
    Having the old bootrom, you can reboot your phone fine after jailbreaking it.
    Those with new bootrom, after jailbreak it, if user reboot the iphone or battery runs out, he/she needs to plug it in the PC to run blackrain/redsnow to reboot it. It's called tethering jailbreak.
    Good luck

Default thankyou again
    Hi and thankyou again, yes definately going to restore as i had 14gb of music and tons of apps from my previous jailbroken iphone 3gs , and also is there a link on here to download Blackrain as i lost the file ? i can only see redsnow etc witin modmyi.com ...ok going to restore now ..let you no how i get on and thanks for explaining the bootrom etc/tethered jailbreak.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to readbmr For This Useful Post:

dtsexpert (2010-04-04)

Hi and thankyou again, yes definately going to restore as i had 14gb of music and tons of apps from my previous jailbroken iphone 3gs , and also is there a link on here to download Blackrain as i lost the file ? i can only see redsnow etc witin modmyi.com ...ok going to restore now ..let you no how i get on and thanks for explaining the bootrom etc/tethered
    jailbreak.
    just put www and .com before and after blackra1n, that where you download the blackra1n...
    good luck

Default Thankyou
    Thankyou so much for your help...Yipeeeeeeeeeeee All done, just going to jailbreak it now as downloaded Blackrain..

Sorry i kept on asking but was very worried i was guna get the dreaded 3.1.3 and then i wouldnt have been able to Jailbreak it !! well not untill the dev team have cracked that anyway.

Just going to manage put my old music back on now as i thought the restore would have done that, but then again i have set itunes as Manage my own music/videos etc and apps..

Again thankyou so much, very happy again and what a stroke of luck getting this iphone with 3.1.2 on it.

Cheers for you help

Hi ive now downloaded blackrain.exe file and when i try to run it im getting an error message saying "the program cant start beacause ASL.dll is missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

Ok ive reinstalled it and still getting the same message as above, any ideas anybody, and if helps i am running windows 7 ultimate..hope this will work for windows 7 as i think before i had windows vista.

Hope to hear soon as this was so easy to do before.

Thankyou from brian p-s also all my old apps wont sync to the iphone if i check them, oe tomtom and loads of others, any reason for this and even though itunes does sync them they are not showing up at all within the iphone after i sync them !!!!

Hi, im sure im not the first to ask this but ok i have recently got a new iphone 32gb 3gs and running 3.1.2 and also ive jailbroken it with blackrain, my query is that i sold my old iphone 3gs and upgraded to a 32gb and now when i try and sync all my old apps they dont show in my iphone even though it says syncing selected app if you no what i mean, ie example uk-ireland is checked and no errors at end of syncing but does still not show in my iphone when synced, its not just that one but lots of others aswell..

So what would you suggest ? do i restore my iphone and set it up as a new one without getting the dreaded 3.1.3 and then simply reinstall all my music/apps manually of which i dont mind, question is will that work for me as this is getting very confusing now !!!

Help as im lost with all of this now, was just going to do a simple restore and then set up as new and add/dragg new apps/music manually , is this the best solution for me, oh also do i also have to delete itunes of my computer and reinstall a completly new itunes 9.1 and will that completly wipe everything of i had originaly had on it..

Hope somebody knows what im going on about and there must be others out there having or have had the same issue..

Thankyou and hope to get some help soon.

Brian
    Last edited by readbmr; 2010-04-04 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost