Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New idea to JB, Going to try when I get home.

Default New idea to JB, Going to try when I get home.
    Ok, so I was thinking today how I could JB a new bootrom 3.1.3 model MB717LL that was NOT previously jailbroken.
    Probably won't work but I wanted to know if anyone had tried this.... So If this has been tried then someone tell me not to waste my time please. ;p

Ok, Here's what I'm going to try.

1: Find out the ECID by using usbview.
    2: Now try to set up a local host server to downgrade to 3.1.2 and not validate in iTunes.
    3: Upon completion the phone will get error 1015. But I will leave it with the connect to iTunes screen on iphone. close iTunes and use Blackra1n 3.1.2 JB tool.
    4: I'm going to assume that I can open usbview and then get the new ECID that will be assigned as soon as 3.1.2 is installed (even though it will not connect to iTunes or have service.maybe)
    5: From here I will have to restore again. but this time I can restore in iTunes (shift/click restore) with a custom firmware (3.1.3) made using snowbreeze.

Again this will be attempted on 3.1.3 NEVER jailbroken iPhone 3gs with NEW bootrom and 5.12.01 baseband.

Sooo, Let me know what you guys think. and If it has been attempted before and failed please let me know so I don't waste my time.

Thanks

How will you downgrade to 3.1.2 without having your SHSH?
    And if I'm not mistaken, your ECID does not change over firmware versions.

Seriously, there are several Dev-teams working on this, do you really, honestly think you have just came up with the answer? Not trying to be mean, but if the method was as easy as something like that we'd have a jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You won't get pass step 1.

I obviously didn't think a whole bunch of people (dev teams) weren't as smart as little old me... If that's how it came across.
    However I do read about some people who either have no internet searching capabilities; Or they clearly cannot read. Think of how many people are still having trouble just downgrading to 3.1.2 after a mistaken update in iTunes.
    I also clearly stated that I was unsure if anyone had tried the method. That's why I asked for the word on if it would work or not before trying it, thus wasting my time.

Thanks for letting me know that it wouldn't work, since that is why i posted it, Thank you.

Remember that sometimes the obvious answer can be overlooked by people who are looking for an arduous/complex one.
    I'm new to the MMI community and merely wanted to share an idea I had. That's what forums are for I do believe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon86 For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (2010-06-23)

Way to badger the new guy. Ideas are always welcome, friend. Ignore the naysayers.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

MMI mods are the least friendly/helpful that I've ever seen on any forum. (I'm assuming colored names are staff members)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Way to badger the new guy. Ideas are always welcome, friend. Ignore the naysayers.
    It's not about being a naysayer. It's about recognizing something that very obviously won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    MMI mods are the least friendly/helpful that I've ever seen on any forum. (I'm assuming colored names are staff members)
    That's just not true. When mods are unfriendly though, it's because some users come on here asking questions that are already answered in numerous threads. Questions about subjects that are extensive guides written about, most of them being stickied in the very forum that the questions are being asking in.

It's actually offensive when people ask questions without searching first. It's sending a signal saying 'my time is too valuable to spend it on searching, so you just give me the answer and quickly'.

That last part doesn't have anything to do with the OP, it was just in reply to the guy saying that mods are rude.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

I concur, I have read some of the responses made by the mods and wondered how this forum is still around.

When mods are unfriendly though, it's because some users come on here asking questions that are already answered in numerous threads. Questions about subjects that are extensive guides written about, most of them being stickied in the very forum that the questions are being asking in.
    This is true in EVERY forum u go to... why? its not because...
    'my time is too valuable to spend it on searching, so you just give me the answer and quickly'.
    Its because people want something for nothing, they just want it handed to them. If the answer is on a sticky then just takes 5 seconds to [Ctrl]+c and [Ctrl]+v the dang sticky link to the thread, tell them its in there and let it go. Thats how you mod a forum, not flame and ridicule them so you feel better about the situation. As far as Brandon86's initial post... It was worth a shot, right? too bad none of these SOB's will say, "Good Try my friend." Geez

another person thinks he's smarter than the rest of us...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    That's just not true. When mods are unfriendly though, it's because some users come on here asking questions that are already answered in numerous threads. Questions about subjects that are extensive guides written about, most of them being stickied in the very forum that the questions are being asking in.
    Sorry, I've been on message boards since I ran my very own BBS in the pre-internet days. I've been staff on a large number of sites and even owned a few (never as big as MMI, but large enough to sell for four digit sums). Perhaps I am just looking at the wrong mods or perhaps I frequent the same areas that the bad apples frequent, but I have never seen such unhelpfulness and outright hostility as I have seen from the staff here.

We are on a message board to ask questions and get answers. In any given section, there are 6 to 10 stickies of unsorted mess that nobody wants to read through when they have a quick question that may or may not be in there. Searching pulls up old threads with outdated information as so much changes so quickly. Heck, even some of the stickies are outdated. Why would I come to a forum in the first place if I have to spend 30 minutes figuring out if I can ask a question? Just answer the person's question and let the thread die. Half the junk in the threads are due to people giving unhelpful answers (like telling them to search or complaining about how obvious it should be).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    We are on a message board to ask questions and get answers. In any given section, there are 6 to 10 stickies of unsorted mess that nobody wants to read through when they have a quick question that may or may not be in there. Searching pulls up old threads with outdated information as so much changes so quickly. Heck, even some of the stickies are outdated. Why would I come to a forum in the first place if I have to spend 30 minutes figuring out if I can ask a question? Just answer the person's question and let the thread die. Half the junk in the threads are due to people giving unhelpful answers (like telling them to search or complaining about how obvious it should be).
    I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. If it was one person asking something that was already answered then fine, he could get a reply. But when tons of people do it, it just takes up so much of the mods and everyone else's time that they could spend all their time answering them.

No one wants to, or should have to, answer the same questions all the time. That's what the guides are written for. If there's something unclear about a guide, sure go ahead and ask for clarification, but don't come in here without even doing the most basic search on google and mmi.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (2010-06-24)

I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. If it was one person asking something that was already answered then fine, he could get a reply. But when tons of people do it, it just takes up so much of the mods and everyone else's time that they could spend all their time answering them.

No one wants to, or should have to, answer the same questions all the time. That's what the guides are written for. If there's something unclear about a guide, sure go ahead and ask for clarification, but don't come in here without even doing the most basic search on google and mmi.
    The OP here had a suggestion on a way he thought of that might work to jailbreak. Why he posted it here I'm not sure, but nevertheless it was an idea and his post shows that he at least has some basic knowledge of how to jailbreak.

The answer to this question won't appear in black and white anywhere, as noone's tried it. Nobody's talking about "LOL WHUT R JAILBREAK" questions here, we're talking about giving someone sh!t who just threw out an idea. Brainstorming is what forums are for.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It seems it would be better if they spent time answering the questions than wasting time telling them to search. Blog guides and wikis are for semi-static information that people search for. Forums are for posting questions and answers and discussing things. There is no easy way to read through those "stickies" up there nor is there a way to ensure you get relevant and up to date information from searching. It's completely in the forum owner's best interest to encourage reposting of topics and answering from staff to ensure the most up to date information as well as SEO through extra descriptive threads, along with a generally happy community where the grouchy long-term members don't drive off the newcomers that might have never used a forum in their life.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-06-28 at 06:10 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

A lot of people do not understand the nature of the jailbreak beast that has evolved into simply running an exe to accomplish it. With every jailbreak there are hurdles. Most can be overcome by simply reading. However, there is still nothing wrong with asking questions. That is what this site is for: helping others to mod iDevices. I agree also that there is way too much attitude tolerated on this site by members.

Thanks

I don't have a colored name...but anyway, ideas are welcomed but before ideas are posted , let's do some research first...most things are not as simple as it may seem

Thanks

Uh you do have a colored name

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Uh you do have a colored name
    He either doesn't realize his name is red and bold, or he made a bad joke.

Thanks

Well it is Zeal so i am running with bad joke lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ibtl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast