Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wipe iPhone 3G content, keep jailbreak and unlock?

Default Wipe iPhone 3G content, keep jailbreak and unlock?
    Hi guys. I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to wipe the content of my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G (on firmware 3.1.2 and 05.11.07). Kind of like doing a "reset to factory defaults", only keeping the jailbreak and unlock.

As I understand it, using the iPhone's built-in reset and erase system will cause me a lot of problems, but I'm also cautious of letting iTunes run wild and accidentally installing the official 3.1.3 firmware.

Any advice on my best way to proceed would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can erase all the content in your iTunes and sync your phone afterwards. This will remove all items on your phone regarding apps, music, and videos.

Doing a reset to through your iPhone shouldn't cause a lot of problems, but that's up to you to decide.

If you wish to do a complete restore, you will definitely lose your jailbreak and unlock.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Hobgoblin (2010-03-31)

I hadn't thought of erasing the iTunes content - thanks for the advice. Good thinking that.

One other thing crossed my mind was restoring from a hacked firmware (assuming I can find one). Would that essentially set my iPhone 3G back to its "factory defaults", only with the jailbreak and unlock still intact? Are there any potential problems in doing this?

Thanks again.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't like already hacktivated firmware restores. Gave me a lot of problems, twice.

Anyhow, even if you did use a custom firmware, it would keep the jailbreak but all your previously installed jailbreak items will be gone. You can back it up with aptbackup or pkgbackup. You will lose the unlock and need to reinstall it thru Cydia. It's basically restoring your phone like through iTunes but it saves you the trouble of going through and jailbreaking yourself.

I don't like having someone else's custom firmware on my phone but if you can make your own that's fine cuz that has your phone's stuff not someone else's. That's just my opinion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Hobgoblin (2010-03-31)

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Losing the installed apps is fine, as I'm selling the iPhone 3G - but the buyer would still like to retain the jailbreak (and as you say, even if the unlock is gone, as long as it's jailbroken it can be re-unlocked through Cydia).

It's just a case of wiping all the content so it's like a brand new iPhone, only jailbroken and unlocked. I might give the hacktivated firmware a shot, and report back here as to how it went.

Thanks again for the advice! If anyone else has any advice on the do's or don'ts of using hacktivated firmware, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

instead of that why not create a new user on ur pc and sync with the itunes in the new user, that will delete everything and u dont have to delete ur content and put it back again

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Hobgoblin (2010-03-31), seanwes (2010-06-25)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well, if it's not gonna be yours anymore go ahead with the custom fw lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Hobgoblin (2010-03-31)

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    instead of that why not create a new user on ur pc and sync with the itunes in the new user, that will delete everything and u dont have to delete ur content and put it back again
    Ah! That's ingenious! Definitely my first port of call before messing about with firmware

Really appreciate everyone's suggestions on here - some great ideas, and immensely helpful. I'll give this one a shot tomorrow (when my number is ported to the new iPhone and I can wipe the 3G) and report back here as to how it went (though I can't foresee any difficulties with such a simple, yet ingenious, idea).

Thanks guys!

Thanks

thats what that thanks button is for

14. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Hobgoblin (2010-03-31)

Just thought I'd report back on how the wipe went.

z3r01's idea about creating a new iTunes account worked a treat. I set up something of a fake, blank iTunes account, then set it to sync the apps, videos, music, contacts and bookmarks with a brand new Windows user account. Since this new account had no emails, bookmarks, music and so forth, it pretty much just wiped the iPhone clean!

I didn't have a compatible calendar program installed, so I had to clear that out manually, and the same for the photos stored on the device.

I also had to work through Cydia and Rock Your iPhone to remove any paid jailbreak apps (so I can use the licenses on my new iPhone), and then make sure I'd logged out of everything (iTunes account, Rock account and so forth).

Yes, it was a tad long winded, but the fact that the firmware, jailbreak and baseband haven't been touched is very appealing - especially considering the current tumultuous nature of jailbreaking and unlocking 3.1.3.

If anyone's looking to wipe their jailbroken iPhone, I reckon this is the way to do it. Thanks again for all the advice!

in theory, couldnt you just have erased all your contacts, email accounts, music and pictures, and leave the rest intact?
    I am going to be forced to dump my iphone for a BB, and I want to get max $$ for it on Ebay, so I want to leave the jailbreak and unlock intact.
    If I just delete all my personal info, and everything else that I dont want anyone to see, would that work too?

thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

What z3r01 recommended is pretty much the best way to go in terms of wiping the phone out without a restore. Syncing with a blank iTunes account is essentially syncing to a clean slate so none of your info is in there anymore. So maintaining the jailbreak and unlock would be a breeze.