Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS stuck in DFU mode after blackra1n

Default iPhone 3GS stuck in DFU mode after blackra1n
    hello

for the last few weeks i've been on this board battling with my iphone trying (twice successfully) and helping others along the way to get it out of the infamous blackra1n loop. however, while trying yesterday i followed the advise of another poster and tried to perform blackra1n JB with RC1 instead of RC3. geohot's face appeared and after the usual 5 minute wait the screen went black, phone is in DFU mode recognized by iTunes but there seems to be no way of getting it to snap out of this coma. Not amount of holding power, or power+home gets me out of if. i obviously DO NOT want to restore and upgrade since i would not be able to unlock which for me is necessary

can anyone please help? TTHANK YOU!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Do you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file with Cydia? If so you can try to restore to 3.1.2 stock and start over.

Maybe you have a tethered jailbreak boot rom? So when it shows the plug in screen, open blackra1n, plug in your phone and make it rain, then it will finish the boot process.

Maybe that is what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Do you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file with Cydia? If so you can try to restore to 3.1.2 stock and start over.
    unfortunately i don't for some reason even if i haven't upgraded and on my iPhone the software is 3.1.2 on Cydia it says 3.1.3 saved. all of the above clearly until yesterday since presently i don't have access.

[Maybe you have a tethered jailbreak boot rom? So when it shows the plug in screen, open blackra1n, plug in your phone and make it rain, then it will finish the boot process.]

i have a teathered JB. but since i'm in DFU (not restore) mode, i don't see plugs or logos, just a black screen. blackra1n doesn't work when iPhone is in DFU
    Last edited by nwriko; 2010-03-30 at 06:45 PM.

I have the same problem with a 3GS, I tryed to restore to the original 3.1.2 but it shows me a 1600 error sreen, does anyone knows what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Leoavila View Post
    I have the same problem with a 3GS, I tryed to restore to the original 3.1.2 but it shows me a 1600 error sreen, does anyone knows what to do?
    i'm afraid we are stuck but there is one guy who is trying to help me on another thread (told him to come here who argues that there is a solution.. this is what he says:

daghost0586
    "No u ppl aren't doing it right I've done it when it has the screen to connect to iTunes dfu mode or recovery whatever run blackra1n and if you restored it to 3.1.3 u can downgrade download 3.1.2 run it on iTunes and before it tells you it can't be restored to the earlier firmware pull the plug on it power it down and 3.1.2 is running perfectly you just got to play around with it this works I've done it a few times on my phone I bricked my phone on purpose just to make sure it works everytime and not a one time lucky deal powering down the phone before it tells you its f u c k e d up works but you got to do it right before it happens try it out email me with any questions I'll be glad to walk u thru it [email protected]"

nwriko
    "first of all, please try to understand I'M NOT in recovery mode (where you can see the itunes logo) and therefore i CANNOT run blackra1n. i'm in DFU mode where you don't see anything and where you CAN'T do anything unless you get out of it... which is my problem

2nd what you are saying is that you can restore to 3.1.2 without being obliged to upgrade to 3.1.3. that is not possible at the moment UNLESS you have the old botrom OR you have your SHSH stored on saurik's server.

look for the thread titled:
    Downgrade Iphone 3gs Baseband 05.12.01 from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 and jailbreak without SHSH"

dughost0586
    "Well my friend I can tell you it worked for me without ssh if u can somehow get your iPhone to show the screen to connect to iTunes as for 3.1.3 I'm telling u I did this download the 3.1.2 filmware let iTunes put it on on your phone and right before it's done to tell you it can't put it on pull the plug and reboot your iPhone I promise this works I spent many hours to discover this in dfu mode can you get iTunes to get it to the connect screen run blackra1n send me a picture if you will to see what your phone is doing and I can help you from there I guarantee I can help fix your problem send the picture of your screen to my email [email protected] I want to help you thru this the best I can but I need to see what your phones doing there are backdoors to the iPhone just like a pc has you just got to figure out what works does your phone have 3.1.3 or Is it just bricked?

I got a solution in dfu mode let iTunes pick it up so it goes to recovery then run blackra1n but don't let iTunes Restore your iPhone exit out or unplug your phone from your computer"

i've asked him to come and post on this thread since the other dealt with the blackra1n loop

Quote Originally Posted by Leoavila View Post
    Ok that error screen is normal that's apples way of keeping jailbreakers from returning this Is what you do and it worked for me download the 3.1.2 filmware run it thru iTunes while your iPhone is in dfu before it reaches that error screen right before! Probably got to time it to get it right somehow I did it by accident when iTunes forced 3.1.3 on my phone before I knew another method of fixing but that's another forum pull the plug on it just before the error screen comes up on iTunes and powerdown your iPhone boot back up and 3.1.2 is there probably like 99% finished but whatever wasn't completed is not necessary to run the filmware without complications I still use my phone on this altered filmware from downgrading it from 3.1.3 never had any problems pull the plug before iTunes stops the installation and removes what was installed to be honest I think I ran blackra1n when my phone was completely formatted and it worked but I had no service just 3.1.2 then I put on the filmware from iTunes somehow this worked and I had full service thereafter I hope this helps a lot of ppl with their phones but this worked for my 3g and it still works to this day

No jailbreak then put on 3.1.2 pull the the plug and jailbreak again my iPhone is living proof
    Last edited by daghost0586; 2010-03-30 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nwriko View Post
    hello

for the last few weeks i've been on this board battling with my iphone trying (twice successfully) and helping others along the way to get it out of the infamous blackra1n loop. however, while trying yesterday i followed the advise of another poster and tried to perform blackra1n JB with RC1 instead of RC3. geohot's face appeared and after the usual 5 minute wait the screen went black, phone is in DFU mode recognized by iTunes but there seems to be no way of getting it to snap out of this coma. Not amount of holding power, or power+home gets me out of if. i obviously DO NOT want to restore and upgrade since i would not be able to unlock which for me is necessary

can anyone please help? TTHANK YOU!
    You described exactly my situaion. Did you try iFuntastic, and iNdependence

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=445712

I can't try since they are not for PC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hovaisa For This Useful Post:

nwriko (2010-03-31)

well now you can use the new jb for 3.1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by hovaisa View Post
    You described exactly my situaion. Did you try iFuntastic, and iNdependence

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=445712

I can't try since they are not for PC
    thank you! i'll look into it and will let you know

Quote Originally Posted by TheHundreds View Post
    well now you can use the new jb for 3.1.2.
    which new JB are u talking about? is it the one mentioned by geohot?

ok i've tried them both and nothing iFuntastic sees iPhone in DFU and tells me to restore with iTunes which i don't want to do and iNdependence doesn't see my iPhone at all...

thank you anyway for the suggestions i'll keep trying and if i come up with anything i'll post it here. please do the same
    Last edited by nwriko; 2010-03-31 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hey mwriko ...... sorry to bring you a bad news, but that happened to me also. If you dont save 3.1.2 on cydia, there is no hope and the only way you can is upgrade your iphone to 3.1.3 then wait for a new jb ..... stupid blackra1n RC1 screwed me ....

Quote Originally Posted by tjsj4evr View Post
    hey mwriko ...... sorry to bring you a bad news, but that happened to me also. If you dont save 3.1.2 on cydia, there is no hope and the only way you can is upgrade your iphone to 3.1.3 then wait for a new jb ..... stupid blackra1n RC1 screwed me ....
    thanks tjsj4evr. i'd been told before but i still have hope. since i can't activate it on AT&T, i've got no reason to upgrade to 3.1.3 the iPhone would be as useless as it is now. at the moment i'm the proud owner of a very expensive paper weight. but the way i see it i can't really blame RC1. there must have been a reason why there was an upgrade. i decided to go down form using RC3 to RC1. had i made a little research before trying i would have discovered the problem.. therefore, my mistake can't really blame anyone else.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    in this video iphone is restored from dfu mode with PwnageTool 3.1.4
    Jailbreaking Apple Iphone 3GS - On a MAC using Pwnage Tool

DOES anybody know if this help in the loop
    blackra1n - iTunes 9.1 Fix
    here
    iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Last edited by hovaisa; 2010-04-03 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

here
    you can no longer JB and unlock if u have the new iboot (me) apple won't sign the firmware therefore, the only way one can unlock the new 3GS is with 3.1.2 but since apple doesn't sign you can't restore... only way u can do it, is if u had your SHSH saved on Saurik's server (i didn't)

so.. i'm stuck in DFU if i upgrade to 3.1.3 i can JB but not unlock (useless because i live in italy and it is an AT&T iPhone) and i can't restore.. i was hoping to find my way out of DFU... anyone?

Hi ppl,
    Me and my friend have been trying to work out a way out of this DFU loop (or, actually, we don't know if it's a loop or not) thing...

His device is a newer model (MCxxxx) 3GS and I guess he did have a tethered 3.1.2JB before (with Blackra1n). He tries to flash his custom 3.1.2 firmware (created with PwnageTool 3.1.4 on osx) and the flashing process seems to be completed without errors. But, right after itunes tells restarting, it's been stuck in a dfu-loop.

Anyways, as we've been reading, it seems we're out of luck and must update to official 3.1.3 to be able to use the device again (for now)...

What we can't figure is, if we'll be able to Jailbreak it, after flashing the OFFICIAL 3.1.3? (And, using what? HE DOESN'T HAVE ECID SHSH FOR 3.1.2 unfortunately)

Any comments? (Thanks)

here
    After downloading blackra1n-itunes 9.1 fix, i couldnt run blackbreeze.exe file and seems like blackra1in doesnt work on Window XP Pac.3

Quote Originally Posted by daghost0586 View Post
    Ok that error screen is normal that's apples way of keeping jailbreakers from returning this Is what you do and it worked for me download the 3.1.2 filmware run it thru iTunes while your iPhone is in dfu before it reaches that error screen right before! Probably got to time it to get it right somehow I did it by accident when iTunes forced 3.1.3 on my phone before I knew another method of fixing but that's another forum pull the plug on it just before the error screen comes up on iTunes and powerdown your iPhone boot back up and 3.1.2 is there probably like 99% finished but whatever wasn't completed is not necessary to run the filmware without complications I still use my phone on this altered filmware from downgrading it from 3.1.3 never had any problems pull the plug before iTunes stops the installation and removes what was installed to be honest I think I ran blackra1n when my phone was completely formatted and it worked but I had no service just 3.1.2 then I put on the filmware from iTunes somehow this worked and I had full service thereafter I hope this helps a lot of ppl with their phones but this worked for my 3g and it still works to this day

No jailbreak then put on 3.1.2 pull the the plug and jailbreak again my iPhone is living proof
    they r talking about 3gs not 3g....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    after 6 weeks bricked out in DFU mode (blackrainRC1) > i upgraded to 3.13 > alive again "notruf" only > Spirit gives error #1 > iTunes doesnt activate because there is no original SIM card...

any ideas or experience??

thanks!

I am in the same scenario: 3gs, have a teathered JB. but since i'm in DFU (not restore) mode, i don't see plugs or logos, just a black screen. blackra1n doesn't work when iPhone is in DFU. What can be done to get out of DFU Mode??? Someone please help!!!

Has anyone had any luck of getting out of DFU Mode?? I do not want to restore & upgrade since I will loose my Jailbreak and Unlock. Please helP!!
    Last edited by naly; 2010-05-11 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by naly View Post
    I am in the same scenario: 3gs, have a teathered JB. but since i'm in DFU (not restore) mode, i don't see plugs or logos, just a black screen. blackra1n doesn't work when iPhone is in DFU. What can be done to get out of DFU Mode??? Someone please help!!!

Has anyone had any luck of getting out of DFU Mode?? I do not want to restore & upgrade since I will loose my Jailbreak and Unlock. Please helP!!
    probably can't do much, got into dfu mode when i did 'reset network settings' after wifi wasn't working. took it to unauthorised service and the did something , got the phone back with continous boot loop issue (which i had before getting it to service, but then something happened and it went into dfu mode) and i keep running baclkrain continously, so far - no luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast