Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recenly Jailbroke - Questions regarding Cydia and Apps

Default Recenly Jailbroke - Questions regarding Cydia and Apps
    Hi everyone - I recently jailbroke my 3GS running 3.1.2 using Redsn0w. I'm new to jailbreaking, as I have not done it before, and did a LOT of research beforehand, as I didn't want to screw anything up. Things have been running smoothly, however, I have a few questions. I've searched here and haven't found direct answers yet.

1) Why does Cydia take so long to load? When I start it, I get the following - "Loading Data", "Downloading Release", "Downloading Packages", then it loads, but the message "Reloading Data". It seems to take a long time to load (3 minutes on WiFi, longer on 3G). I'm wondering what all these messages mean, and if there is a way to make it load faster. I recently updated Cydia, as recommended, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

2)I added the Elegance Pro theme, and later deleted it, and Winterboard as I didn't use it much. I noticed that the main "theme" file is still there, along with the icons folder, even after deleting it. Why was this not deleted with the uninstall, and is it safe to delete manually?

3) Do other jailbroken apps leave "traces" behind when I uninstall? As a Windows/PC user, I've noticed the same thing when I uninstall software on my PC.

Thanks for the help! I don't have the strong technical background that many here have, but I've tried to rely on searching as much as possible. There is a lot of good info here!

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1975 View Post
    Hi everyone - I recently jailbroke my 3GS running 3.1.2 using Redsn0w. I'm new to jailbreaking, as I have not done it before, and did a LOT of research beforehand, as I didn't want to screw anything up. Things have been running smoothly, however, I have a few questions. I've searched here and haven't found direct answers yet.

1) Why does Cydia take so long to load? When I start it, I get the following - "Loading Data", "Downloading Release", "Downloading Packages", then it loads, but the message "Reloading Data". It seems to take a long time to load (3 minutes on WiFi, longer on 3G). I'm wondering what all these messages mean, and if there is a way to make it load faster. I recently updated Cydia, as recommended, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

2)I added the Elegance Pro theme, and later deleted it, and Winterboard as I didn't use it much. I noticed that the main "theme" file is still there, along with the icons folder, even after deleting it. Why was this not deleted with the uninstall, and is it safe to delete manually?

3) Do other jailbroken apps leave "traces" behind when I uninstall? As a Windows/PC user, I've noticed the same thing when I uninstall software on my PC.

Thanks for the help! I don't have the strong technical background that many here have, but I've tried to rely on searching as much as possible. There is a lot of good info here!
    Answer to question 1 It just does, My phone takes 30 seconds to load Cydia through WiFi but my internet speed is anywhere from 4mb to 10mb, usually about 8mb, As far as what the loading proceedure is I don't know and I don't need to know as I am not a computer programmer!

Answer to question 2 The way I delete a theme from my iphone is go to Cydia find the theme that I downloaded choose that theme as thought I was going to install it! You will be taken to Details page, in the upper right hand corner of this screen you will see a button to push that says Modify, press on that button and the next screen will have three buttons to choose from, Reinstall, Remove, Cancel, choose Remove and it will remove everything that was installed when you installed the theme!

Hopes this helps!

Area51
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-03-28 at 07:11 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (2010-03-30)

Thanks. I don't remember how fast my internet is, but it isn't that fast. I suppose I don't need to know either, but I'm still curious what's going on and what it's doing...

As for question 2, I used the same procedure you described, yet those old theme files are still there. I do not know why. At some point, I'm sure I will reinstall winterboard and add some themes, but I am still curious why deleting the theme AND Winterboard didn't delete everything associated with it.

Im not sure why it left behind traces. But you can delete that stuff manually if you'd like.

http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/them...nterboard.html
    This tutorial will tell you everything you'll ever need to know about winterboard and themes. Including creating your own.

yes it's a mac based tutorial but there are windows equivalent programs for the ones shown in the tutorial.
    Last edited by laughing_man; 2010-03-30 at 10:46 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to laughing_man For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (2010-03-30)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1975 View Post
    Thanks. I don't remember how fast my internet is, but it isn't that fast. I suppose I don't need to know either, but I'm still curious what's going on and what it's doing...
    I believe it's downloading a list of all available apps and their versions from all the repositories that are added in Cydia. It does that in order to see if there's been any changes to any apps since it last logged in (it also notes if new apps have been added). This is also used so you can know if there are any updates to any of the apps you've installed.

Thanks for the help. I figured it was doing something like that, but was hoping there was some way to shorten the process.