Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak iphone 3G 3.1.3

Default Jailbreak iphone 3G 3.1.3
    Sorry, if this is the 1,000,000 time this question has been answered. But there is a lot of information online and not all of it is really clear due to all the different versions of the phone and the firmware and the bootrom.

I recently purchased a apple 3G 8GB via at&t (as in this week), so i do not need to know how to unlock it. I just have some questions involving the jailbreak process.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    current phone:
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Model : MB702LL
    Modem firmware : 5.12.01
    Version 3.1.3 (7E18)

I have both and windows 7 and an osx 10.5 computer though my iphone is currently linked to my win7 itunes library.

Question 1: is it possible to jailbreak this phone, and if it is will it be tethered or untethered?

If it's tethered what steps will i need to do (or programs will i need to use) to reboot the iPhone.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

an internet search has brought up two websites which i believe i may use to unlock this particular phone..

the first being:
    Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Sn0wbreeze | Redmond Pie

& the other is:
    Hack that Phone - Unlocking the 3G iPhone with PwnageTool

seeing as how my iPhone is synced with my win7 iTunes library I'm assuming the sn0wbreeze instructions would be more suited for my situation.

however, The Pwnage tool tutorial is more recent..

Question 2: Should i switch my sync to the mac and use Pwnage tools or stay with the PC and use sn0wbreeze following the respective tutorials posted above?

question 3: should something go wrong I've gathered all i need to do is put the iPhone in to recovery mode, hook it up to the computer and restore to original settings using Itunes? Is this correct?

Any further information or concerns regarding my particular phone setup would be appreciated. I would like to Jailbreak this phone ASAP but am hesitant to get started without getting some feedback from experienced users.

Thanks in advance!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your jailbreak will be untethered as all 3G phones are. Use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak. You can find it here: redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]

okay, thank you for pointing me in the right direction

my concern is that all of the tutorials i've found in step two say:

'Step 2: Start redsn0w 0.9.4 and point it to the respective original iPhone 3.1.2 firmware to proceed. Yes you need to point it to iPhone 3.1.2 instead of 3.1.3 because redsn0w 0.9.4 is still unable to validate the latest firmware.'

okay i've downloaded the firmware required, but am still concerned about recovery
    as far as recovery is concerned was i correct in assuming all i have to do is put the iphone in recovery mode and restore via Itunes option?

thanks for your quick reply.

So i tried it following the redmondpie tutorial
    Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Redsn0w 0.9.4 | Redmond Pie

using 0.9.4 and the 3.1.2 firmware
    goes through the motions but then just shows a black screen. will not reboot.
    when i turn the computer off and then on, it still works but is not jail broken
    Last edited by laughing_man; 2010-03-27 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, first of all, you're using 0.9.4 which you shouldn't. 0.9.4 is made specifically for ipt2g old bootrom. Use redsn0w 0.9.2 as I said.

Restore to a fresh 3.1.3 and then use this tutorial: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Windows) - skip step 1 and 2. The guide says for 3.1.2 but it's the same process for 3.1.3 - also you're correct that redsn0w should be pointed to the 3.1.2 firmware.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

laughing_man (2010-03-28)

Thanks for all your help. Worked like a charm... all functionality is still there.

and cydia is now on the phone...

now to figure out all the cool stuff i can do.

when i browse for the file it isnt there... ideas?

This doesnt happen to work with 3gs does it?

~Tim

If I have helped you then thank me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

3gs can only downgraded if your shsh file has been saved for the firmware your trying to get to.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjb5099 View Post
    This doesnt happen to work with 3gs does it?

~Tim
    On a 3GS, redsn0w 0.9.2 works for 3.1.2 but not 3.1.3