Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade Firmware without losing Jailbreak and Unlock?

Default Upgrade Firmware without losing Jailbreak and Unlock?
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldnt find it when I searched for it. I have a 3g with 3.0 and want to upgrade to 3.1.2 but dont want to lose any apps or the 3rd party apps that wont transfer to itunes. So is there a way without losing the Jailbreak and unlock? Thanks for your help in advance

Thanks

there are several apps available on cydia that will "backup" your cydia apps...all AppStore apps will transfer to iTunes as will contacts, music, etc...google and download a custom 3.1.2 ipsw file made with pwnagetool (very important) that is already activated...once you are done with the restore the only thing left will be to unlock and restore your apps, music, etc....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

brandonbeattie (2010-03-26)

Thank you so much. Do you happen to know a good backup from cydia to download?

Thanks

I really don't know for sure...there are a couple I believe...one is aptback or something like that and the other is pkgbackup or something close to that

Does pwnagetool work with windows? I looked on the Dev Teams site and could only find Mac

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Pwnagetool is a Mac tool. You can download a stock 3.1.2 Ipsw from this site in the Downloads section and shift+restore your phone. This will preserve your baseband. You can then proceed to jailbreak with redsn0w or blackra1n (it's your choice which to use) then unlock with ultrasn0w. Assuming your baseband is 4.26.08

Thanks

I'm pretty sure if he restores to a stock 3.1.2 file then it is going to update his baseband to 5.11.07 which requires blacksn0w to unlock...he will have to use a custom firmware to preserve the baseband

Yea my baseband is 4.26 and I downloaded a Custom 3.1.2 and downloaded Quickpwn, do you know if that will work also? I read only alittle about it on another forum.

Sorry it wasnt Quickpwn its redsn0w
    Last edited by brandonbeattie; 2010-03-26 at 10:08 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Stock fw won't update baseband with shift+restore. I just did it two days ago and preserved my baseband.

If that were the case me updating my fw to 3.1.3 wouldve upped my fw to 5.12.1 which it didn't. Shift+restore maintains baseband.

Thanks

just use iTunes to restore to the custom firmware and ultrasn0w to unlock afterwards...it will already be jailbroken so there is no need to use redsn0w

@Anniex423...that's good to know...I really wasn't aware of that...thank you for the clarification
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-26 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I always restore to a clean ipsw sometimes custom fw unless it's your own causes problems. I had a custom fw once and it wouldn't open Cydis and YouTube back on 3.0. I redid it twice and same thing. Sometimes you'll get a bad seed. But that's just me.

I'd rather have a clean start. But it's up to the user.