Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G 'bricked'?

Unhappy iPhone 2G 'bricked'? - 3.1.3 stuck on emergency call screen
    Hi, All.

I've spent the past few hours researching my problem, but I've failed to find someone with the same SKU/firmware/usability combination. Please forgive my general ignorance, I'm still a newb.

Background: I purchased my 2G 4GB about two years ago; it was jailbroken and unlocked at firmware level 2.X.X. I updated the firmware once about a month into my ownership; that lost me Cydia, but the phone remained unlocked and worked perfectly.

About a month ago, as I noticed I couldn't download any of the new 3.0-level apps from the App Store, I decided to upgrade to the current firmware at the time (3.1.3?). I did some looking into the matter, and didn't read about any problems with the 2G, so I went ahead with the update (I should have paid closer attention to these forums).

Two days ago, the problem revealed itself after a friend turned the phone off. When it was powered back on, the screen displayed this:

I tried the following how-to to get it back, following the instructions for the 2G:
    Tutorial: Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 with BlackSn0w

Upon rebooting, however, I'm returned to the same screen. I can receive calls, and I can dial any number, but can't access anything else.

I've noticed I may have an option with redsn0w to return the phone to firmware 3.0, using this process:
    Tutorial: iPhone 2G Unlock Using RedSn0w

Unfortunately, I haven't backed up my user data recently using iTunes . If I do attempt the redsn0w process of entering DFU and returning to 3.0, can I expect this to work? Will I, indeed, lose all my user data (pictures, SMS history, contacts not on SIM, paid apps, etc)?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by VanFab; 2010-03-26 at 08:30 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Redsn0w does not revert your firmware to a previous version. You should expect to lose your info. You need to run redsn0w or blackra1n to jailbreak. I'd recommend using redsn0w first.

Go ahead and download a fresh 3.1.2 firmware from the Downloads section here. Shift+restore your phone, then jailbreak it with redsn0w. If you need an unlock, download BootNeuter.

(I say restore to 3.1.2 because that will ensure you are on 3.1.2. If you know for sure you are already on 3.1.2 then you can skip the restore and go straight to redsn0w)

Oh yeah, if that fails it's probably your phone being an MC model (beginning of serial) which apparently has jailbreak problems.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-03-26 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Redsn0w does not revert your firmware to a previous version. You should expect to lose your info. You need to run redsn0w or blackra1n to jailbreak. I'd recommend using redsn0w first.

Go ahead and download a fresh 3.1.2 firmware from the Downloads section here. Shift+restore your phone, then jailbreak it with redsn0w. If you need an unlock, download BootNeuter.

(I say restore to 3.1.2 because that will ensure you are on 3.1.2. If you know for sure you are already on 3.1.2 then you can skip the restore and go straight to redsn0w)

Oh yeah, if that fails it's probably your phone being an MC model (beginning of serial) which apparently has jailbreak problems.
    Thank you for your response, Anniex. My serial number does not begin with 'MC', so at least it sounds likely I can get my phone operational again.

This morning, the alarm function went off at the normal time, and when I receive a call, the contact's name and photo shows up in the background. This leads me to conclude the phone is still on a regular schedule, and my personal user data is still intact, but Apple has locked me out. Is this correct? Is there still no way to save my user data (shame on me for not using iTunes more often).

I'm a little unclear on the exact steps for using redsn0w to unlock, as the how-to link I posted is from June, before 3.1.2 was released. Shall I follow the same steps, but select 3.1.2 instead of 3.0? So:

1. Configure redsn0w with 3.1.2 + BL 3.9 + BL 4.6
    2. Connect iPhone to PC and power off
    3. Run redsn0w
    4. Trigger DFU mode

This seems to be different than the process you outlined above, when you advised me to download BootNeuter. Is there a specific how-to I should use instead of the one I linked to above?

Regarding the specific info I will lose: should I expect to lose my paid apps, in addition to the contacts not on SIM, notes, files, etc? iTunes keeps a record of downloads that will allow me to get my paid apps back, correct?

Please forgive all my questions; I want to make sure I don't screw this up any worse than I have already. Thank you for your help showing me the way out.
    Last edited by VanFab; 2010-03-26 at 08:19 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Forget everything you read or know and follow my directions.

1. Put your phone in DFU mode. To do this, plug your phone into your computer. Hold down the power button and the home simultaneously. When you hear your computer make a sound indicating a device has been disconnected, release the power button but continue to hold the home button. Hold until your computer indicates a device has been connected with another sound. Then release the home button. You should retain a black screen at this point.

2. Make sure you have a 3.1.2 firmware (3.1.3 if you want but the directions I give you here can be applied for both word for word). When you have that downloaded, open iTunes which shouldve recognized your device in DFU (it might say recovery mode) mode.
    3. Do not accept anything. Go to the iPhone page in iTunes and where it says "restore" you push shift+click restore. Then select the 3.1.2 ipsw you downloaded (get it at the Downloads section making sure you select the one for 2G).
    4. Let iTunes restore your phone. It should back up your info here but don't hold your breath if it doesn't.
    5. When your phone has finished restoring, you will see the same screen you're already seeing now.
    6. Download redsn0w and run it. It will ask you to select the right ipsw so select the one you restored with. Click next.
    6. Follow the directions. Make sure your phone is OFF at this point. It will tell you too.

When the jailbreak process finishes, your phone will reboot and show you your springboard. When it does find cydia and download BootNeuter. BootNeuter will unlock your phone.

Be aware you need wifi to get into Cydia to download BootNeuter.

Btw, when iTunes asks and you want all your old info choose restore from backup. If it backed up properly, you will get all your info back.

Oh yeah, if you chose to use 3.1.3, in the redsn0w process you must still use ipsw 3.1.2 or it will give an error. I recommend you use 3.1.2 to save yourself the trouble if having to download both firmware versions.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-03-26 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you, Anniex; you spelled it right out for me.

I downloaded firmware 3.1.2 from the 'Downloads' section here, and I will ignore adding BL 3.9 + BL 4.6 when I run redsn0w (I upgraded to the latest firmware 3-4 weeks ago, so according to the release timeline, I must be on 3.1.3 currently).

One more question: which version of redsn0w should I use? I see 'Redsn0w Windows 0.9.2' available here:
    Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums, Mods, Guides, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Downloads - Windows

Is this the version I should use?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Windows redsn0w 0.92 should be fine. Download it from redsn0w.com

I think redsn0w auto unlocks 2G phones but if not BootNeuter it. But if 0.92 does not work you can fond 0.94 by google. I used 0.94 for 3.1.3.

Just try 0.92 if you're gonna restore to 3.1.2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

VanFab (2010-03-27)

Anniex, thank you so much.

The process you outlined for the restore and redsn0w worked perfectly. I did have to download the bootloader files 3.9 and 4.6 as part of running redsn0w, but they were easy to find again.

Fortunately, I must have synced my phone earlier this month when I upgraded to FW 3.1.3. I didn't have my music or my apps synced, but my contacts, calendar, and SMS history were saved, which is a huge relief.

Now I just have to review my iTunes purchase history and go back to get my paid apps. After this, I'll be sure to sync more often and make sure to include everything in the process.

All in all, a major WIN; seventy-six thanks for Anniex.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Hm I didn't realize you still had to get the bootloader files. That's something I learned haha.

Glad you have it up and running again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 2g stuck - hardware?
    iAnnie,
    Thanks so much for your clear instructions.

For the record, when I used redsn0w 9.4 for the second time, it didn't ask for the bootloader files.

My iphone 2g is still stuck on the 'slide to unlock' screen.
    I've tried jailbreaking several times using redsn0w and also blackra1n. At one point I went to 3.1.3 but then went back to 3.1.2 The last time was redsn0w from 3.1.2 to 3.1.2

When I first got the phone, iTunes wouldn't recognize it but after jailbreaking, it did. It even seemed to be activated with a non-original at&t sim card that they gave me at the att&t store.

The interesting thing is....when I power off, the 'cancel' button doesn't work but the power off slider DOES work.

Is it possible that the digitizer is faulty so only the bottom part of the screen is unresponsive? I've read that a loose connector inside 'might' do this, too.

If so is there any way around it short of replacing the whole lcd/digitizer assembly? Its not really worth it on a 2g because of the way they glued the digitizer onto the lcd. At least that's what I hear.

Above, I meant jailbroken with redsn0w 9.4 using ipsw 3.1.2 after a restore to firmware 3.1.2

I get only two screens, 'slide to unlock' and power off. The only button or slider that works is the power off slider.

I want to try and be precise so I can get the best advice.

Thanx again.
    Last edited by crthnsn; 2011-03-28 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think it can either be a software problem or hardware. You need a restore to double check that. If a clean restore still presents the touchscreen issue than the screen needs to be replaced.

When you jailbroke the device, it didn't need to be activated with a SIM as the jb tool you used probably hacktivated it.

I think you need to redo the entire process from a clean slate.

You may know or have these things already but with all the things you listed as issues, I'm not going to target them individually as you'll just have the same end result anyway.

So I'm gonna go find a very detailed guide with working download links for things you need and follow that.

If you follow everything properly you will most definitely have access to your phone. Your screen issue however if it is still occurring after restore/rejb, that's a hardware issue that you have to resolve on your own as I don't work with iPhone 2G's hardware

Be back later with the guide.

For Mac
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Mac) (Comments)

For Windows
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows) (Comments)
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-03-29 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

crthnsn (2011-03-29), mkjr (2011-08-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default must be hardware
    Thanks iAnnie,

I've done the restoring and jailbreaking thing enough times that I now think it must be the digitizer.

All references to this problem eventually lead to this conclusion.

I also learned that its not worth fixing on a 2g because of the expense and difficulty.

I learned alot while searching this forum.

This is the best!

i.Annie...first post...joined just to say thanks. this worked well.

as an FYI to crthnsn, it is pretty cheap to fix the glass/digitizer on a 2g...about 70 bucks or less if you want to do it yourself.

in any case, cheaper to fix than buy a new itouch.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

happy I could help

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

ClayH2 (2011-10-19)