Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak a 3GS, 3.1 on Windows

Default Jailbreak a 3GS, 3.1 on Windows
    Hello,

I do hope I am not asking a question which has been asnwered a hundred times before, as I have searched and not found my specific question answered.

Much of what I have found refers either specifically to the iphone 3G (not 3GS), or for ealier or later firmware than I have, so I am quite unsure.

My firmware version is 3.1, 7C144, and it is a 3GS.

I would like to jailbreak my iphone to enable tethering. I am not concerned with unlocking at all.

Can someone point me in the right direction for my phone and firmware? I.E. should I upgrade to 3.1.2, try and downgrade or what?

I have never updated the firmware after buying the phone, so nothing is saved to Cydia or any such service.

And yes, I read the sticky.

Cheers

Thanks

no need to update...3.1.2 and 3.1.3 were pretty meaningless updates...just use redsn0w to jailbreak

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    no need to update...3.1.2 and 3.1.3 were pretty meaningless updates...just use redsn0w to jailbreak
    Hi, so the minor updates don't affect the ability to jb? A lot of what I was reading seemed to indicate that it was impossible with 3.1.3?

redsn0w is definitely for the 3GS(not just 3G), and for 3.1?

The howto seems a bit out of date and doesnt say exactly.

Thanks

I have used redsn0w to jailbreak 2g's, 3g's, and 3gs's with zero issues...i believe that redsn0w 0.8 is what u need to jailbreak 3.1 (don't quote me on that) and u will need a stock 3.0 firmware to point it at even though u are jailbreaking 3.1..

just do some more reading before you proceed and you should find the answers
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-26 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmm, I am thinking of updating to 3.1.2 and using redsn0w 0.92, just to have a later version.

Or does it make no difference?

Thanks

if you have the old bootrom (iBoot) 3gs then you will need to jailbreak 3.1 first and then create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw using pwnagetool and update to that...no need to jailbreak afterwards as it will already be done

if your phone has the new iBoot then you can only jailbreak 3.1 as apple is not signing firmware 3.1.2 anymore and new iBoot phones do not accept custom firmwares
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-27 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just downloaded 3.1.2 before I read your message

How do I tell if I have the old bootrom or the new one?

I also thought pwnagetool was only for mac?

The confusing issue for me is that all guides seem to be for 3.0.x or 3.1.2...there does not seem to be any guide for just 3.1

I thought I could update to 3.1.2 and then use redsn0w with the original 3.1.2 firmware, would that not work?

Thanks for all your help thus far

Sorry, but what about 3.1.3 (7E18) can that be jailbroken & or unlocked?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyWizard2 View Post
    I just downloaded 3.1.2 before I read your message

How do I tell if I have the old bootrom or the new one?

I also thought pwnagetool was only for mac?

The confusing issue for me is that all guides seem to be for 3.0.x or 3.1.2...there does not seem to be any guide for just 3.1

I thought I could update to 3.1.2 and then use redsn0w with the original 3.1.2 firmware, would that not work?

Thanks for all your help thus far
    to determine you iBoot you can look at the 3rd, 4th and 5th numbers of your serial number in the about section of your phone...if it is something like this 940 or below then you will more than likely have the old iBoot..if it is something like 945 or 001 or higher then you have the new iBoot...the most reliable way is to follow this guide... http://modmyi.com/forums/general/704...-have-3gs.html

pwnagetool is for mac...if you don't have access to a mac then use google to find a 3.1.2 ipsw that was created using pwnagetool

you can not update to stock 3.1.2 firmware because apple is only signing 3.1.3 and stock firmwares require signing from apple on the 3gs....

OK, I have the old bootrom, which is awesome.

Why does pwnagetool have to come into it at all?

Are there really no native windows methods?

So, anyway if I grab the ipsw created with pwnagetool what program do I use it with? redsn0w?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyWizard2 View Post
    OK, I have the old bootrom, which is awesome.

Why does pwnagetool have to come into it at all?

Are there really no native windows methods?

So, anyway if I grab the ipsw created with pwnagetool what program do I use it with? redsn0w?
    Just open itunes and shift click restore and then choose the custom firmware. Change your hosts file found within CWindows\System32\drivers\etc to have this entry
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    on the last line then save the file. Then proceed with the shift click of restore and point it at the custom firmware download. Not sure if the host file change is absoultely necessary but I had to do it and I have the same phone is you (old bootrom). Then just keep that firmware around and you can always go back to it if you have issues.

Thanks

@DonkeyWizard2
    sn0wbreeze us a "native windows" program for creating custom firmware but I have seen almost nothing but problems from other users trying to work with it...not sure why pwnagetool is so much better but it is also if you restore to a custom firmware there will be no need to jailbreak it as that is part of creating the firmware...other than that do what mj0528 said...you can try it without rerouting apples server first because custom firmwares do not require signing

Hi, OK, thanks.

I found some ipsw files for 3gs for version 3.1.2, but there are activated and unactivated versions. Which should I get?

I would also like to know the best way to save my current firmware, files, contacts and settings and everything so I can restore everything if anything goes wrong

thanks again

Thanks

since you are AT&T then u need unactivated...just sync to save contacts...u can't save your current firmware because apple is only signing 3.1.3 so your only choice at this point is a custom if something goes wrong, or 3.1.3 official

Mayday!

I found the custom IPSW, I put the entry in my hosts file and I made a backup of my iphone.

Now, I am having no luck in restoring to the custom ipsw, as I keep getting error 1604 and my iphone is stuck in recovery mode.

According to the apple site, error 1604 refers to problems with USB timing, and among the things they recommend tryin is updating iTunes.

I am doing that now, and it is working fine. Is this good or bad? Was the entry in the hosts file to block access to the apple update server or help facilitate it?

Is error 1604 actually indicative of USB timing issues as the apple site says, or is it something to do with trying to use a custom firmware?

I wonder, because I never had any issues syncing....

Thankyou...

Thanks

before you update itunes you might want to read this http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...rs-beware.html

Unfortunately I don't think I have another choice, unless you have a suggestion to get around error 1604?

I will use 9.1 just to try and restore, otherwise I will go straight back to version 9.0

OK, I used iREB by ih8tesn0w to get out of the recovery loop.

However, I can't put the phone into DFU mode, despite following the instructions.

I turn the device off and wait 5 seconds, I hold power and home together for 10. During this time the phone briefly turns on and then off.

I then let go of power and hold home for a further 10 seconds and then release it.

All I get is a black screen that I can't do anything with, and iREB does not get the phone to flash white and then red as it is meant to.

Ideas?
    Last edited by DonkeyWizard2; 2010-03-31 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

dfu mode is a black screen....if u plug it up to itunes while in dfu mode it will recognize the phone as being in recovery although it is actually in dfu...have you tried doing it with the phone fully booted sitting on the home screen...also have you tried a different usb port...restarting the computer...uninstalling your usb ports via device manager and letting windows reinstall them....

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    dfu mode is a black screen....if u plug it up to itunes while in dfu mode it will recognize the phone as being in recovery although it is actually in dfu...have you tried doing it with the phone fully booted sitting on the home screen...also have you tried a different usb port...restarting the computer...uninstalling your usb ports via device manager and letting windows reinstall them....
    Yep, I tried all that, as well as from two different computers....

I can't get ireb to work at all...no white and then red screen, and when the screen is just black itunes does not recognize it in recovery mode, after I have followed the instruction to put it into dfu...

Thanks

that's about all i know to try...maybe someone that knows more will step and help..sorry i couldn't be of more help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast