Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Undo BlackRa!n Jailbreak

Default Undo BlackRa!n Jailbreak
    Hey All,

I'm fairly sure the answer here is SOL. But I wanted to make sure. I have a iPhone 16G 3GS 05.11.07 with the 3.1.2 software loaded. I jailbroke my phone using Blackra!n and it works perfectly, however as many here I found the tethered nature of the jailbreak very troublesome. I just don't use my phone (jailbreak apps) enough to justify the restriction of having to hook it up to my computer. Between running out of juice occasionally and crashes/freezes on occasion I'm having to tether it 3-4 times a week. I would just like to undo the jailbreak and go back to the original firmware.

I had thought when I installed it I would be able to reinstall the 3.1.2 software to revert but of course I don't have 3.1.2 signatures on Cydia. I have 3.1.3, I didn't realize at the time that even though I had 3.1.2 installed it can't create 3.1.2 keys anymore.

Is there any option to remove the jailbreak and revert my phone back OTHER than upgrading to 3.1.3? I'd prefer to leave myself the option to jailbreak in the future if possible.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

without having your 3.1.2 shsh's on file the only option you have is official 3.1.3

as far as I know...if I'm wrong someone will me know
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-25 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm much more concerned about why your phone would be crashing/freezing that frequently. My 3GS gets rebooted every fews weeks i'd say but NEVER freeze or crashes. I respring a couple times a day when I'm installing apps but that's normal.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tambu View Post
    Hey All,

I'm fairly sure the answer here is SOL. But I wanted to make sure. I have a iPhone 16G 3GS 05.11.07 with the 3.1.2 software loaded. I jailbroke my phone using Blackra!n and it works perfectly, however as many here I found the tethered nature of the jailbreak very troublesome. I just don't use my phone (jailbreak apps) enough to justify the restriction of having to hook it up to my computer. Between running out of juice occasionally and crashes/freezes on occasion I'm having to tether it 3-4 times a week. I would just like to undo the jailbreak and go back to the original firmware.

I had thought when I installed it I would be able to reinstall the 3.1.2 software to revert but of course I don't have 3.1.2 signatures on Cydia. I have 3.1.3, I didn't realize at the time that even though I had 3.1.2 installed it can't create 3.1.2 keys anymore.

Is there any option to remove the jailbreak and revert my phone back OTHER than upgrading to 3.1.3? I'd prefer to leave myself the option to jailbreak in the future if possible.

Thanks for your time.
    Maybe I have missed something!

You jailbroke your phone at 3.1.2 and your phone is at 3.1.2 now, then how do you have 3.1.3 shsh's on Cydia?

Maybe my bad but if you select blackra1n on your springboard and choose to remove it, does that not put him back at 3.1.2 where he is now?

Area51

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Maybe I have missed something!

You jailbroke your phone at 3.1.2 and your phone is at 3.1.2 now, then how do you have 3.1.3 shsh's on Cydia?

Maybe my bad but if you select blackra1n on your springboard and choose to remove it, does that not put him back at 3.1.2 where he is now?

Area51
    he has 3.1.3 shsh's because that is the only firmware that apple is currently signing...if he chooses to remove the blackra1n icon that will not remove the jailbreak...it would take restoring the firmware to do that...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    he has 3.1.3 shsh's because that is the only firmware that apple is currently signing...if he chooses to remove the blackra1n icon that will not remove the jailbreak...it would take restoring the firmware to do that...
    So he's at 3.1.3 not 3.1.2!

I guess I do not understand the way blackra1n works on new bootrom.

I have the old boot rom and I used blackra1n first time but decided to go with the Dev Team and I thought uninstalled blackra1n then used Pwnage Tool.

When you use blackra1n on new boot rom it writes new firmware to the phone?

When I used blackra1n on my old boot rom it took about 30 sec to jailbreak and there is no way it wrote new firmware to the phone in 30 sec!

Just trying to learn!

Area51

Thanks

no he is on 3.1.2...shsh's are signed by apple and returned to cydia for storage...since apple is only signing 3.1.3 that is all that cydia can store..for instance if someone had selected the make my life easier button when they bought the phone months ago and apple was signing 3.1 that's what shsh's they would have, when 3.1.2 was released then they would also have 3.1.2, and then when 3.1.3 was released they would have 3.1.3...since he jailbroke his phone after apple stopped signing everything but 3.1.3 those are the only shsh's that cydia can get...doesn't matter which firmware he is running, only what apple is signing...as far as blackea1n goes I'm sure it doesn't rewrite the entire firmware as redsn0w doesn't either but redsn0w only takes about 1 min to jailbreak my phone...I think it just changes certain things in it...not the whole thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    no he is on 3.1.2...shsh's are signed by apple and returned to cydia for storage...since apple is only signing 3.1.3 that is all that cydia can store..for instance if someone had selected the make my life easier button when they bought the phone months ago and apple was signing 3.1 that's what shsh's they would have, when 3.1.2 was released then they would also have 3.1.2, and then when 3.1.3 was released they would have 3.1.3...since he jailbroke his phone after apple stopped signing everything but 3.1.3 those are the only shsh's that cydia can get...doesn't matter which firmware he is running, only what apple is signing...as far as blackea1n goes I'm sure it doesn't rewrite the entire firmware as redsn0w doesn't either but redsn0w only takes about 1 min to jailbreak my phone...I think it just changes certain things in it...not the whole thing
    I am still having a little problem here!

I got my phone and it was a 3.0, I jailbroke it and did the make my life easier thing on Cydia. 3.1 came out and I did not update for a while and all Cydia showed was 3.0. Finally I updated to 3.1 and sometime later Cydia showed 3.0 & 3.1 but not untill I upgraded to 3.1! Same with 3.1.2 and I waited for a long time before upgrading to 3.1.3 and only reason I did is just in case somewhere down the road I needed shsh's for 3.1.3, that's just me, and at no time did Cydia show shsh's for 3.1.3 untill I upgraded to 3.1.3 and then it took week or so for Cydia to show the 3.1.3 shsh's!

I am just trying to understand more about this and I have read 1000 post and 30 guides and the only thing I seem to understand is that I don't know sh1t, I am trying to learn!

Sorry if I have hyjacked this thread!

Area51
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-03-29 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks

I have never had anything but 3.1.2 firmware (bought this phone in mid February) and the only shsh's that I have are for 3.1.3 becase that is the only firmware that has been signing since February 2nd or 3rd...I have never been on 3.1.3 as I have the new bootrom and would be stuck if I did...when apple releases the new firmware be it 3.2 or 4.0 I will have those shsh's as well but will stay on 3.1.2...all I know is that you do not have to update to get your shsh's stored if you use firmware umbrella...if u didn't use that then that is probably why none of your shsh's showed up until you updated to that particular firmware