Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New member seeking specific Jailbreaking answers

Default New member seeking specific Jailbreaking answers
    Hey guys, I'm new here and pretty much completely new to jailbreaking. After using my phone in it's standard mode for about 5 months I've grown tired of it and want to customize.

I've read a bunch of articles and viewed a some topics in the forums here and have found myself rather confused with what I can actually do to potentially jailbreak my phone.

I have a 3GS 3.1.3 MC, from what I understand, I cannot jailbreak with the 3.1.3 firmware. I've researched a bit to find I can downgrade to 3.1.2, which apparently can be jailbroken.

My next issue arises from the fact that I most likely have a new bootrom, one which supposedly is much more difficult to jailbreak??? ( I don't have a clue really).

I'm assuming this leaves me with the option to only tethered jailbreak. (Not really sure if this is right, once again, I simply don't know the specifics).

I obviously have never jailbroken my phone before, so I don't have any back ups on Cydia or anything like that.

In short, I suppose my question is...

Can I jailbreak my current phone by downgrading the firmware and performing a tethered jailbreak??

My apologizes if I have used the wrong terminology here, I just figured it'd be best to ask these basic questions before I go researching for days and days if the task cannot even be done.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Thanks

unfortunately you are stuck with no jailbreak available...without you having your shsh's on file with cydia for 3.1.2 you can not downgrade and therefore not jailbreak...be patient as there may be a jailbreak available in a few weeks or months

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (2010-03-24)

Well that sucks, but is exactly what I expected. Thanks for saving me a shitload of time trying chase a phantom.

Is there a logical time I should expect some sort of developments regarding a current jailbreak, and if so, aren't there still a ton of hoops I have to jump through due to my phone having the new bootrom?

Thanks

from what i have been reading there will probably either be a jailbreak available with the release of the iPad (early April) or the new iPhones (June or July)...no one really knows whether the new jailbreaks will be tethered (that is what i assume you mean by having to jump thru hoops) or not...at this point only the devs could answer that...

Not trying to hijack the thread, but didn't want to post a new one since it's on the same subject.

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Sn0wbreeze | Redmond Pie

That link says they can jailbreak the 3.1.3 firmware. Is this correct or is it just a bunch of BS?

Thanks

if your phone has the old bootrom and is already jailbroken then you can use sn0wbreeze or pwnagetool to create a custom 3.1.3 ipsw and restore to that and will be jailbroken...that's the only way that 3.1.3 can be jailbroken on a 3gs