Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: week 42 and running 3.1.2 can be jailbroken ???

Default week 42 and running 3.1.2 can be jailbroken ???
    As the title says, is this able to be jailbroken or not worth buying, thank you sorry if this has been asked before but can't find definate answer.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It can definitely be jailbroken. Redsn0w 0.9.2 or blackra1n rc3 will both do the job. You might have a tethered jailbreak though, meaning you might have to run the jailbreak program every time you want to boot the phone.

The tethered thing depends on the bootrom and you'll have to have the phone in hand and hooked up to a computer in order to find out which one it is.

But yes, it can be jailbroken.

Thank you for the reply, just another couple of questions, can I put a custom rom on it? also if its a tethered jailbreak does that mean I will have to start it every time with blackra1n forever or can I undo the jailbreak and put it back to its original state, thanks again.........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tanzi View Post
    Thank you for the reply, just another couple of questions, can I put a custom rom on it? also if its a tethered jailbreak does that mean I will have to start it every time with blackra1n forever or can I undo the jailbreak and put it back to its original state, thanks again.........
    Custom rom no, custom firmware I do believe so. If it is a tethered jailbreak then yes you have to use blackrain every time you reboot. You can simply restore the phone in iTunes to put it back to its original state, however more than likely iTunes will force you to update to 3.13.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tanzi View Post
    If you can use CFWs is something you'll have to check for yourself. Not by trying a restore but instead by checking which iBoot version the phone has.

Do NOT try to restore to a custom firmware before you've tested which bootrom (iBoot) it has. If you do, and the phone can't use it, you'll likely be forced to upgrade to 3.1.3 which is not jailbreakable.

If you do jailbreak and it's tethered, the only way to remove the jailbreak is by restoring the phone meaning you'll lose the jailbreak and you'll also lose the ability to jailbreak even if you wanted to.