Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs @3.0.1 upgrade to 3.1.2

Default 3Gs @3.0.1 upgrade to 3.1.2
    Hello everyones. I'm on here to read everyday but not really a poster. I have 3gs at 3.0.1 with old baseband. I want to upgrade to 3.1.2 since I want this app but I need to upgrade. Per cydia, they have my shsh 3.1 and 3.1.2, could someone be kind to show what I need to upgrade, jailbreak and unlock for t-mobile. TIA.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

We have a guide here to get you to 3.1.3 there is also a way to get you to 3.1.2. Biggest thing is you are gonna want to use customfirmware builds to save your baseband so it can be unlocked.

Since you are on 3.0.1 then I am guessing you have the old bootrom.

iPhone Jailbreak Guides | iPhone Tutorials | ModMyi.com Blog Archive How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS/3G/2G iPod Touch 2G/1G with sn0wbreeze Windows
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't risk going to 3.1.3. It simply isn't worth it for a couple of vague bug updates. Stick to a custom 3.1.2 firmware and shift/restore through iTunes (option/restore on the macs).

Quote Originally Posted by EmDy View Post
    Hello everyones. I'm on here to read everyday but not really a poster. I have 3gs at 3.0.1 with old baseband. I want to upgrade to 3.1.2 since I want this app but I need to upgrade. Per cydia, they have my shsh 3.1 and 3.1.2, could someone be kind to show what I need to upgrade, jailbreak and unlock for t-mobile. TIA.
    Try to find a custom firmware 3.1.2 and restore the phone with it.
    That's way you still have the old baseband that you can use with ultrasnow to unlock it. Ultrasnow is more stable than blacksnow.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dtsexpert View Post
    Try to find a custom firmware 3.1.2 and restore the phone with it.
    That's way you still have the old baseband that you can use with ultrasnow to unlock it. Ultrasnow is more stable than blacksnow.
    good luck
    do I restore using itunes? I have 9.0.3.15 right now. thanks

do I restore using itunes? I have 9.0.3.15 right now. thanks
    If you have the custom firmware ready, use iTunes to restore it by: holding the shift key while click at the restore button, prompt to the folder where you saved the custom firmware.
    good luck

thanks. I searched around and found redsn0w. are you sure ultrasnow or redsnow?

thanks. I searched around and found redsn0w. are you sure ultrasnow or redsnow?
    Redsnow is the app for jailbreak the phone. Ultrasnow is the app for unlock the phone. 2 different tools.
    Since yours phone is already jailbroken, just simple restore it with custom firmware to keep the current baseband, then run ultrasnow to unlock it.
    good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dtsexpert For This Useful Post:

EmDy (2010-03-24)

Thanks

redsn0w is for jailbreaking and ultrasn0w is for unlocking...since you will be using a custom firmware you will already be jailbroken so you will need ultrasn0w to unlock not redsn0w

oops..you beat me to dtsexpert

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

EmDy (2010-03-24)

thank you both for the info. Im going to try now and will post back for the result.

Quote Originally Posted by dtsexpert View Post
    If you have the custom firmware ready, use iTunes to restore it by: holding the shift key while click at the restore button, prompt to the folder where you saved the custom firmware.
    good luck
    itunes won't let me to restore to 3.1.2. is that because I have 3GS and Apple wont sign the package?
    Last edited by EmDy; 2010-03-24 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

custom firmwares do not require signing...what error is itunes giving you

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    custom firmwares do not require signing...what error is itunes giving you
    iphone could not be restore....could you pm me the link to the custom 3.1.2 or email to*****Saving you from spam********Thanks.

after I googled it, I found the custom firmware, activated and not activated? wth is that and which one do I use? sorry for too many questions.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-03-25 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost - Removed Email

Thanks

you need the activated one... activated means can be used on unofficial carriers and unactivated is for official carrier (ATT)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

EmDy (2010-03-24)

Thanks again for your help. Im downloading it now.

hey everyone this is my first time replying on anything on here. im having this issue where it says on itunes that i dont have the correct build or something. i have a 3gs running 3.0.1 and want to get atleast 3.1 or 3.1.2 but it says i have the wrong build. i have read a couple of forums and i think apple has blocked it so i would only have the option of 3.1.3 which i dont even wanna mess with. can someone please help me with this issue. tia

Thanks

if you have a mac then you can create a custom 3.1.2 with pwnagetool or if on a pc then google and download one created with pwnagetool and use option+restore (mac) or shift+restore (pc) in iTunes

I have the exact same issue as original post:

3Gs on 3.0.1 - want 3.1.2. A friend jailbroke it for me about 8 months ago, so I'm not sure really how to do ANY of it. Modem firmware is 04.26.08 (no idea what that means) and it's a week 31 iPhone through AT&T w/ no plans to change carriers. I have access to a MAC or a PC if need be.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step? Thanks

Can someone please explain how you would utilize the signed firmwares on cydia?