Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Baseband confusion...

Question Baseband confusion...
    Hello,
    I just picked up a 2g iphone, 3.1.3 with Modem Firmware 04.05.04_g. My confusion is about the unlock. I am hearing baseband versions of 05.12.01 can not be unlocked, and that the Modem Firmware is your baseband version? If my modem firmware is 04.05.04_g, does that mean I can unlock this phone? Thanks for the clarification, I'm just not sure how to tell what my baseband is and I've been reading posts for about an hour.

They all seem to indicate that the Modem Firmware is the baseband, but the version numbers I see don't seem right (how can a phone with 3.1.3 software have a baseband of 04.05.04_g?) Thanks for any help!

...Brad

Thanks

You can unlock any 2g phone

Ahhh this would make more sense then if the 3g and 3gs phones have a different modem firmware than the 2g phones? Is that what I'm missing here? Is it just the 3g and 3gs users that can't unlock the 3.1.3 software? Do I understand this right? Thanks so much!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

think its just us poor 3gs Guys you can downgrade the old 3g

something to do with signing

Thanks

It's not so much the 3.1.3 firmware as it is the 5.12 baseband. If you update a 3g(s) with standard 3.1.3 firmware it updates your baseband to 5.12 and cannot be unlocked. But none of this matters for you if you have a 2g

Thanks

@Ricey155 signing has nothing to do with a 3g...only applies to 3gs...also you can not downgrade the baseband on either one...

So I can unlock my 2g for sure then? I guess then it is just a matter of jailbreaking the 2g? This is a replacement phone, I had a 2g from last fall, and dropped it in the hot tub, no more worky. I had jailbroke that with blackra1n and unlocked with boot neuter. I don't think those work with 3.1.3 do they? Thanks for any wisdom you have on the subject.

Thanks

just use redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock