Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to restore a backup?

Default How to restore a backup?
    Hi all,

well let me explain quickly what I've done with my Iphone 3G.

I was on 3.1.2 jailbroken and tried to upgrade and jailbreak 3.1.3 but unfortunately it didn't work so I downgraded back to 3.1.2 and jailbroke it thanks to blackra1n.

My problem now is that I want my apps and contacts back since I don't have anything on my iphone. I made a backup with itunes by sync and I also made a backup with the app called "AptBbackup" before I upgraded to 3.1.3. So I downloaded "AptBackup" through Cydia and tried to restore it but it indicated that there was no backup made (while i did!). What I have left now is the folder of the backup that Itunes made, cause I kept it on my desktop just in case.

Is there a way that I can restore that backup folder and will it actually contain my contacts as well? If yes, how? I was thinking of going to recovery mode and "shift" + restore the 3.1.2 firmware but wouldn't that get rid of the jailbreak?

I'm clueless and i've been looking all day long so I thought let me ask the experts. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

when u hook the phone up to iTunes look in the left hand column for your phone and right click it and select restore from backup

although it is almost always recommended to set up as new phone especially when jailbreaking and then just sync over ur contacts and AppStore apps
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-23 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    when u hook the phone up to iTunes look in the left hand column for your phone and right click it and select restore from backup

although it is almost always recommended to set up as new phone especially when jailbreaking and then just sync over ur contacts and AppStore apps
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did set it as a new phone. So this method will not remove the jailbreak?

EDIT: Well thank god I got my notes and contacts back..but i see that none of the apps restored? Can anyone explain why this is? I did make a backup so i wonder why that doesnt get restored?
    Last edited by Paya; 2010-03-23 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks

not really sure...The couple of times I have done that I have always restored from the backup and then jailbroke but I wouldn't think it would

5. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Paya (2010-03-23)

not really sure...The couple of times I have done that I have always restored from the backup and then jailbroke but I wouldn't think it would
    Strange Ah well..at least my contacts have returned..that was the most import bit. Thanks a lot for your help !

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What I found out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paya View Post
    Hi all,

well let me explain quickly what I've done with my Iphone 3G.

I was on 3.1.2 jailbroken and tried to upgrade and jailbreak 3.1.3 but unfortunately it didn't work so I downgraded back to 3.1.2 and jailbroke it thanks to blackra1n.

My problem now is that I want my apps and contacts back since I don't have anything on my iphone. I made a backup with itunes by sync and I also made a backup with the app called "AptBbackup" before I upgraded to 3.1.3. So I downloaded "AptBackup" through Cydia and tried to restore it but it indicated that there was no backup made (while i did!). What I have left now is the folder of the backup that Itunes made, cause I kept it on my desktop just in case.

Is there a way that I can restore that backup folder and will it actually contain my contacts as well? If yes, how? I was thinking of going to recovery mode and "shift" + restore the 3.1.2 firmware but wouldn't that get rid of the jailbreak?

I'm clueless and i've been looking all day long so I thought let me ask the experts. Any help is appreciated!
    I use PKGBackup but I think Appbackup works the same!

I make a backup with PKGBackup and then I Sync my iphone which I do the Sync thingy manually! Then I make a backup of my Itune apps that I have on my iphone then disconnect my phone quit Itunes then plug my phone back to my computer then Itunes will start again and when its through you can do the next stept!

If you right click on your iphone in Itunes you will get several options that look like file folders! If you look under the INFO tab you wil have some options. Under CONTACTS you will have Sync with Outlook which will have the box checked by default!

Under that you will have listed All Contacts and under that you will have Selected Groups and in the box mine shows PKGBackup data!

I simply check the box Selected Groups and then check PKGBackup data!

I then resync my phone and after its done disconnect the phone redownload PKGBackup and I am not charged for it again, then I run PKGBackup and it restores my Jailbroken apps and just about all settings but not all but just about all of my apps!

Your options will probality say APTBackup data but not for sure and like I said I use PKGBackup which you have to pay for but I dont think APTBackup was available at that time!

Let me know if this works!

Area51
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-03-26 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    I use PKGBackup but I think Appbackup works the same!

I make a backup and then I Sync my iphone which I do the Sync thingy manually! Then I make a backup of my Itune apps that I have on my iphone then disconnect my phone quit Itunes then plug my phone back to my computer then Itunes will start again and when its through you can do the next stept!

If you right click on your iphone in Itunes you will get several options that look like file folders! If you look under the INFO tab you wil have some options. Under CONTACTS you will have Sync with Outlook which will have the box checked by default!

Under that you will have listed All Contacts and under that you will have Selected Groups and in the box mine shows PKGBackup data!

I simply check the box Selected Groups and then check PKGBackup data!

I then resync my phone and after its done disconnect the phone redownload PKGBackup and I am not charged for it again, then I run PKGBackup and it restores my Jailbroken apps and just about all settings but not all but just about all of my apps!

Your options will probality say APTBackup data but not for sure and like I said I use PKGBackup which you have to pay for but I dont think APTBackup was available at that time!

Let me know if this works!

Area51
    Thanks for the explanation. But if I had to use PKGBackup, don't I have to make a backup of the apps before updating/jailbreaking? Because I already did a jailbreak and set my phone up as a new phone. The only thing i have left from before the jailbreak is a backup folder that Itunes created for me. Or am I getting it wrong?

Thanks

yes u would have had to have made the backup before the updating/jailbreaking...if u sync'd the phone before u updated then u should be able to get ur AppStore apps from re-syncing

yes u would have had to have made the backup before the updating/jailbreaking...if u sync'd the phone before u updated then u should be able to get ur AppStore apps from re-syncing
    That's what I dont get then..cause I the backup that I made is BEFORE the update/jailbreak. It was just made by Itunes...so that's why I don't get why it doesn't bring back the apps when I restore from backup in itunes like you told me to do

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok first you needed to run AppBackup! That backups you Jailbroken apps!

Second you need to Sync you phone with Itunes, that will place the Aptbackup in Itunes as other contacts, but its not contacts it is your Aptbackup data!

Third do your jailbreak!

Fourth hook iphone up to computer and do a backup restore, by right clicking on you iphone in Itunes then choos restore from backup! Choose the date you backup last!

Disconnect the iphone from the computer when the backup is done!

Open Cydia and download Aptbackup, once installed then run and choose all then choose restore and then set back and let it do its thing, will take some time!

Once restored the reboot iphone, this maybe be done once the backup is restored by AptBackup as I can not remember but need to reboot the phone once the restore is done!

Once the phone reboots then your apps should be back on your phone! You may have to choose the theme you had before but it should be on the in Winterboard app then make the tweaks that you had done before the rejailbreak to get you back where you was before the rejailbreak but with the new jailbreak!

Area51

12. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

Paya (2010-03-23)

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Ok first you needed to run AppBackup! That backups you Jailbroken apps!

Second you need to Sync you phone with Itunes, that will place the Aptbackup in Itunes as other contacts, but its not contacts it is your Aptbackup data!

Third do your jailbreak!

Fourth hook iphone up to computer and do a backup restore, by right clicking on you iphone in Itunes then choos restore from backup! Choose the date you backup last!

Disconnect the iphone from the computer when the backup is done!

Open Cydia and download Aptbackup, once installed then run and choose all then choose restore and then set back and let it do its thing, will take some time!

Once restored the reboot iphone, this maybe be done once the backup is restored by AptBackup as I can not remember but need to reboot the phone once the restore is done!

Once the phone reboots then your apps should be back on your phone! You may have to choose the theme you had before but it should be on the in Winterboard app then make the tweaks that you had done before the rejailbreak to get you back where you was before the rejailbreak but with the new jailbreak!

Area51

That makes it totally clear for me now. I appreciate the help from both of you! And for a next time..I will definately try this method

Thanks again!!